U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 08:12 PM

5,710 posts, read 8,775,783 times

Advertisements

I enjoyed Henlopen Beach outside Lewes De. Lewes is a very cute little town, not too built up. I wish I'd had the time to take the ferry to Cape may.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 08:23 PM

9,038 posts, read 14,335,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye in SC View Post
Pittsburgh to Ocean City is about 7 hours; Pittsburgh to Charleston is about 10 hours; if you're willing to drive the extra 3 hours each way, think you would definitely enjoy it. Lots to do and see as well as plenty of nice beaches to relax on.

I would vote against Virginia Beach as well, went there once and that was enough for me. I'm not a big fan of Myrtle Beach either.
If you choose Charleston, SC get ready for HOT HOT weather with water temperature that is almost as hot in the high 80's or low 90's.

If you want refreshing ocean water temps in the 70's and generally warm in the 80s but not uncomfortable air temps to go with nice beaches and great seafood (fresh lobster, mussels, steamers, cherrystones, oysters..YUMM).... plus there is GREAT SAILING in RI, head north to Westerly, RI / Watch Hill area.

Old 06-06-2010, 08:57 PM

33,651 posts, read 58,429,745 times
Default Hatteras Island, NC

This article by Wyndle Watson of the Pittsburgh Press is what fanned my interest in North Carolina:
The Pittsburgh Press - Google News Archive Search

We started vacationing there and from Clarion, PA, it was about 11 hours in the car to Hatteras Island.

It is the perfect beach for people who do not need tons of entertainment. Restaurants are hit or miss, depending on your need for fine dining, but you can eat steamed shrimp until you burst.

If you stay in the Nag's Head, Kitty Hawk, Duck area, you can shave an hour or two off the drive, taking I-64 to Hampton Roads and south from there to NC.
The beaches of Hatteras Island, or Ocracoke Island will be a worthy day trip from the northern Outer Banks..

When I was offered a job transfer to the Raleigh area, proximity to the OBX were part of the equation for us.

Old 06-08-2010, 06:47 AM

1,860 posts, read 4,444,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
If you choose Charleston, SC get ready for HOT HOT weather with water temperature that is almost as hot in the high 80's or low 90's.
Not true...the average high ocean water temperature even in the middle of summer for Charleston is 84 degrees as it currently is. It is above average right now as it usually is 79-80 this time of year, but probably b/c of the warmer spring we had - especially the last 2 months - has caused it to be a bit above average right now.

US NODC Coastal Water Temperature Guide

Old 06-08-2010, 07:07 AM

1,492 posts, read 6,964,112 times
After reading your thread title, I immediately thought of Ocean City, MD...but after reading your post I see you have already been there, done that. OC is about 'mid atlantic' as you can get. And I'm sure you've driven up to Rehoboth and then down to Assateague.
I lived in Ocean Pines and of course and am familiar with the area.

It seems many beaches are turning touristy, and the party going crowd seems to be a money drawer. If you go south, you'll come upon Nags Head, Atlantic Beach- NC. Then Myrtle Beach, Hilton Head- SC. Then further south you'll find Tybee Island (Savannah), St. Simons, Jekyll-GA.

Each of these offer a different experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or