Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 12:04 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,814,140 times

Advertisements

Many famous places are seriously overrated, even though some travelers have always dreamed of visiting them. Too small, too crowded, poorly organized, expensive for what it offers, etc...

Obviously people have different tastes and what is completely worth it for one person might not be a great travel destination for other.

However, everyone entitled to an opinion. On that note, what is the biggest disappointment you ever had on a trip?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 12:06 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,941,268 times
Sadly, our honeymoon. We went to an all-inclusive resort in the Dominican Republic, and while the beach was gorgeous, we had to drive through extreme poverty to get there. I was SO depressed and sad by the time we got to the resort that I couldn't fully enjoy it. I wanted to go out and do missions work in the town nearby, but we weren't allowed to leave the resort for safety reasons.

Old 06-01-2010, 12:19 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,284,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
I wanted to go out and do missions work in the town nearby, but we weren't allowed to leave the resort for safety reasons.
They encourage tourists to stay at the resorts, which is why all-inclusives are generally one big tacky place, but they cannot MAKE you stay there. I know this, as I have wandered around local neighborhoods in places most people wouldn't. You could have gone if you really wanted to and the resort staff can't do anything to stop you. The resort staff is not responsible for your safety once you exit the resort. The best way to explore any country is to mingle with the locals. Staying at an AI in every single country is pointless and you might as well stick to going to the same place year after year since you're not there for the culture anyway.

Old 06-01-2010, 12:23 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,941,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
They encourage tourists to stay at the resorts, which is why all-inclusives are generally one big tacky place, but they cannot MAKE you stay there. I know this, as I have wandered around local neighborhoods in places most people wouldn't. You could have gone if you really wanted to and the resort staff can't do anything to stop you. The resort staff is not responsible for your safety once you exit the resort. The best way to explore any country is to mingle with the locals. Staying at an AI in every single country is pointless and you might as well stick to going to the same place year after year since you're not there for the culture anyway.
Well, sure--but we had no car and no guide, and wouldn't have known where to go. In retrospect, I wish we had just gone somewhere else that was easier to navigate by foot. (We were only 21 at the time, and neither of us had ever been out of the country before--it was a learning experience!) I have every intention of going back there with a church group sometime to build some decent housing or help out the people there in some way.

The resort was actually gorgeous--I really liked it. I was just in such a funk from the poverty that it was hard to enjoy it without feeling guilty and extravagant.

Old 06-01-2010, 12:26 PM

1,346 posts, read 3,074,674 times
Also my honeymoon, but for a different reason. The place we went in the Bahamas had apparently changed from a nice resort to a magnet for 19 y/o college kids...drunk and obnoxious the whole time, not very romantic. And the food was terrible. My husband says he owes me for this one.

Old 06-01-2010, 12:45 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,182,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post

You are correct.

But if you run in troouble don't have your mommy crying on tv and demanding the US govt rescue you from your bad choices/stupidity.

Old 06-01-2010, 01:24 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,814,140 times
People travel for different purposes: volunteering, fun, culture, etc.

The fact that one does not pick one choice over other should not be criticized. First, it is one's choice - and tacky or not, people should respect that. I have never been to these all-inclusive hotels myself bc I prefer to have a better idea of local culture by staying at locally owned hotels, going to restaurants recommended by locals, etc. (using good sense), but I do not criticize people who like them.

Also, there is a difference between "willing to help" and "using your good sense".

Honestly, I have never traveled with anyone who would randomly say "hey, let's mingle with the locals by going to areas of the city that even most locals avoid!"

I have been to countries (developed and underdeveloped ones) where the locals would say "for your own safety, avoid x and y area". I could not speak the language perfectly, had only relative knowledge about the country, and honestly had not even learned the emergency number if so needed. What is the common sense thing to do? To each, their own...I am just expressing my opinion here.

Thanks for the people who posted regarding my question. I have read very interesting posts here helping educate people who intend to travel to wonderful places that often get mixed reviews (e.g. the pyramids, Taj Mahal, etc.) and have learned a lot from them.

Old 06-01-2010, 01:26 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
[IMG][/IMG]

23 page post on this subject just last week:

Most disappointing place you've visited?

Old 06-01-2010, 01:32 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,284,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
[IMG][/IMG]

23 page post on this subject just last week:

Most disappointing place you've visited?
Don't worry, this will be asked again next week. Apparently, not all use the search function!

Old 06-01-2010, 01:33 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,193,585 times
I had already posted related to this in another thread: Taj Mahal.

Cool from far away, meh up close, bad inside. The city itself (Agra) doesn't have much else to offer and has some of the most aggressive street-urchins I've ever seen, we're talking leave the front door of the hotel instant swarm with little fingers "accidentally" ending up in your pockets. You gotta run for a tuk-tuks.

Example of tuk-tuk: tuk-tuk driver we need to go to bus station since heading to Jaipur, he tries to drop us off at a travel agency in town and insists it is the main bus station, then whoever gives him kickbacks comes running out also insisting that is where you get buses. Only by convincing him we've seen the main bus station and know where it is do we get him take us there, and not end up in some minivan for 10x as much cost.

I mean there are street urchins in every poor country, and people like the tuk-tuk driver who will try to rip you off (Bangkok tourist areas a good example) but for what you get out of Agra versus the irritation, bleh.

I think the only redeeming quality of Agra is how easy a train ride it is from Delhi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel