Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 11:55 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times

Advertisements

Somehow I can't imagine Europe wanting to send a message to all U.S. travelers. "We're changing our CC system so yours don't work here." Our response: "Okay, we're heading to South America. Good luck with the new system."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 11:58 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,919,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Somehow I can't imagine Europe wanting to send a message to all U.S. travelers. "We're changing our CC system so yours don't work here." Our response: "Okay, we're heading to South America. Good luck with the new system."
I don't think US travelers will be high on the list of priorities. The amount of US traveler use of credit cards in Europe will be minute in comparison to the regular everyday use of credit cards by Europeans.

However, an enterprising US - or more likely European - financial services firm might introduce a chip card which you could load with cash before heading overseas.

Old 06-02-2010, 01:21 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,948,820 times
Anybody traveled to the Caribbean lately? We have a trip coming up, and I would hate to find out my AmEx may not work. After reading these replies I don't anticipate much of a problem, if any.

Old 06-02-2010, 01:38 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Anybody traveled to the Caribbean lately? We have a trip coming up, and I would hate to find out my AmEx may not work. After reading these replies I don't anticipate much of a problem, if any.

Oh hell, most of the carribean will even accept US greenbacks as currency just as quickly as there local currency. The last place you will have a problem is there.

Old 06-02-2010, 02:17 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,919,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Oh hell, most of the carribean will even accept US greenbacks as currency just as quickly as there local currency. The last place you will have a problem is there.
Gotta watch those French islands, however

Old 06-02-2010, 03:11 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,673,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
I don't think US travelers will be high on the list of priorities. The amount of US traveler use of credit cards in Europe will be minute in comparison to the regular everyday use of credit cards by Europeans.

However, an enterprising US - or more likely European - financial services firm might introduce a chip card which you could load with cash before heading overseas.
I read a few years ago 5% of the UK's GDP is from American tourism. Not a small number in the scheme of things.

Around 5 years ago when I was working in Colorado, I met a wealthy brit family who's source of wealth was from gift shops in the UK that catered to American tourists. At the time they were complaining because the pound was starting to be so strong it was keeping Americans away from the UK.

Old 06-02-2010, 03:43 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,678,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Don't be to sure of American wealth, by Jan 2011, all of South America will have changed to Chip&PIN. China and Japan should be finished this year. It's getting harder and harder to find resturants in Asia that accept the old mag strip cards. Our corp Amex card was changed to 2 cards, one with the mag stripe and another with Chip&PIN. The last country to change will probably be the US.

Old 06-02-2010, 03:57 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,794,697 times
I've been to Oz, New Z, SE Asia, Egypt, Venezuela, and all over Europe and never had a problem with this. I did have problems using my debit card, which no one could explain, but the same card worked just fine in the ATM machine.

Old 06-02-2010, 04:05 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,678,621 times
There are still many places with large american tourist population that have both readers, but each month more and more switch to the Chip&PIN. They can still enter the info manually, but I suspect that in 2011 youll see major changes because the sunset date for mag stripes is Dec 31, 2010. Right now they can use both but after that date, it doen't have to be offered or supported. If you have an Amex corp card and use it overseas, you should be getting a notice in the mail about converting or gettinga second card.

Old 06-02-2010, 04:21 PM

43,646 posts, read 44,375,612 times
Due to the rise of identity theft, it is good idea to inform the companies/banks that issue your credit/debit cards before leaving the USA on any trip outside the USA. Sometimes if you don't do this, the cards get blocked when you try to use them overseas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel