U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 09:31 PM

9,123 posts, read 17,125,688 times

Advertisements

I've been on flight also where me and my son have seats together but equipment changed, and we been seperated, hes 10-13y , once he was in the row in front of me, Nother time we were 3 rows apart on different sides of the plane. Both were full planes and planes were late leaving the gate, the FA were already trying to find seats for 2 others (Adults) who wanted to sit together. But after 1 request on the PA, and no one offered, they sat down and the plane pushed back.
Often I fly on biz (company Tik), and book my son privatly. Because they are not book at same time they are non connect'ed tik's, but when i do seat selection i sit us next to each other. If i fly on my $ our Tickets are connected and only 1x were we seperated.

Last edited by flyonpa; 06-03-2010 at 09:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 11:09 PM

5,027 posts, read 13,410,022 times
I've seen this happen more than once on Lot Airlines to Poland. I mention that particular airline because I used to fly them exclusively to Poland and it seems this happened every single time. Last time it was out of Newark. A mother was arguing with the ticket agents because her 4 year old daughter was now expected to sit 12 rows in front of her, which to me is absurd.

I just don't understand how they can do something like that to a small child. We're talking practically toddlers, not school-aged children. If that was my child, I'd be standing over her row the entire flight. Then we'd see how quickly they switch seats with me. Kids have needs that can't and shouldn't be met by complete strangers. I'm not even a parent yet, and I would absolutely give up my seat, even if that meant sitting in the middle. It astounds me that there are adults in this world that put their comfort over the safety of a child. Those kids will most likely be scared to fly in the future, for fear of being away from the parents. They didn't do anything wrong. That must have been a long flight, they were probably terrified. I hope the heartless people who refused to budge got a screaming child next to them for the entire flight and lots of juice spilled on them.

Old 06-04-2010, 03:52 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,911,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
. I hope the heartless people who refused to budge got a screaming child next to them for the entire flight and lots of juice spilled on them.
LOL ^
Me too.
What an amazing (and sad!) story--I've seen school age kids who had to be separated, they were fine, but a 3 and 4 year old?! And nobody volunteered?!
I definitely would have volunteered, even if I have to sit in the middle, which happens to me all too often anyway. I've volunteered once or twice before to help a family with school kids, they probably would have been okay but it was no big deal for me to switch, I was traveling alone myself.

Having said that, I agree with other posters that we are all paying passengers, this is the airline's problem and they should make it right.

There are so many "shoulds" with air travel these days, but not nearly as much satisfaction as there once was.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:50 AM

21,353 posts, read 24,084,481 times
Some info is missing. Which leg of the trip had the issue (the plane from Europe to the US or the plane from US customs to their home state)? If the second flight was SouthWest then we know how the split up happened ( you get what u paid for). The only other way I've seen this happen is if they ended up on a different airplane for some reason.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:04 AM

5,027 posts, read 13,410,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
LOL ^
Me too.
What an amazing (and sad!) story--I've seen school age kids who had to be separated, they were fine, but a 3 and 4 year old?! And nobody volunteered?!
I definitely would have volunteered, even if I have to sit in the middle, which happens to me all too often anyway. I've volunteered once or twice before to help a family with school kids, they probably would have been okay but it was no big deal for me to switch, I was traveling alone myself.

Having said that, I agree with other posters that we are all paying passengers, this is the airline's problem and they should make it right.

There are so many "shoulds" with air travel these days, but not nearly as much satisfaction as there once was.
Come on, let's be honest. When you're at the gate and see kids, you secretly hope they are sitting nowhere near you. I know I do! So when someone volunteers to remove those children from next to me, I would jump at that opportunity, even if it meant sitting in the middle! Screaming child vs. a quiet flight...hmm, tough choice! Let's forget the fact that they were separated for now, I just can't see the logic in wanting to sit next to a 3 year old that's not mine without their parents nearby for 8+ hours!

Old 06-04-2010, 09:47 AM

10,234 posts, read 13,979,154 times
I fail to understand how these mix-ups occur in the first place ~ ESPECIALLY in our so-called "high-tech" times. Websites and travel agents (and there are a small few) pull up what SHOULD be updated charts and information as bookings are processed. I don't think there are enough last-minute no-shows to merit this practice of double-booking seats. When I select my own seat, I should have that seat.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:06 AM

693 posts, read 2,616,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
Some info is missing. Which leg of the trip had the issue (the plane from Europe to the US or the plane from US customs to their home state)? If the second flight was SouthWest then we know how the split up happened ( you get what u paid for). The only other way I've seen this happen is if they ended up on a different airplane for some reason.
It was an 8+ hour flight from Europe to the US on a Boeing 777. Seating for the round trip was accomplished at booking. My son was unable to check in from his computer for the return flight and found out of the seating change when he checked in at the airport.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:07 AM

9,123 posts, read 17,125,688 times
Keep in Mind that there 'kid' may not be next to me, it maybe the adult, or the rest of the family is across the [SIZE=2]aisle, they move me to some other seat (most likely) a middle and I may then have Some other kid next to me then. I picked that seat. If you don't want to pay the Fee to get pre-assigned seating then you take your chances. And its is he airlines problem for doing this with all these fees, and not being able to select seats when you do reservations, doing it 24 hours in advance or at gate. I know it wont change anything but the extra time the airline spends sitting at the gate while they try to rearrange the plane cost them money, But I don't think they track that as a reason so that can put a cost on it, and if they do the $'s for pre-reserving a seat is one of the factors in the costs. Get few hundred dollars per flight for pre- resevering minus cost of a few planes a day sitting at the gate for extra 10-15 mins while we rearrange. The airlines use to fix these thing by the gate agents at check-in but they have cut back the staff so much, that the check-in agents pass the buck to the FA's to handle now.

[/SIZE]

Old 06-04-2010, 10:12 AM

4,308 posts, read 11,801,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
I fail to understand how these mix-ups occur in the first place ~ ESPECIALLY in our so-called "high-tech" times. Websites and travel agents (and there are a small few) pull up what SHOULD be updated charts and information as bookings are processed. I don't think there are enough last-minute no-shows to merit this practice of double-booking seats. When I select my own seat, I should have that seat.
I've seen it many times. I've seen families at check-in having a meltdown because they specified aisle seats as one of them had serious mobility and pain issues and they needed to be able to stretch out their legs. I've seen guys who are 6'5" get stuck in the window seat when they booked an aisle seat. Back in the old days of smoking on planes, I've seen asthma sufferers get shoved into the smoking section.

And NOT ONCE did the check-in clerks or flight attendants do anything to help these people get the seats they specifically booked and paid for. Because the airlines do not give a damn about their passengers. (Unless the passengers have paid $1000s to sit in Business or First class.) I checked onto a flight once and was told the only available seat was a middle seat. As I was sitting there a couple walked up to my row and asked if I'd mind moving so they could sit together. Naturally I shifted into the window seat and after they sat down they asked me if I'd requested the middle! I explained what happened to me and they said the same thing happened to them when they checked in: the clerk told them the seats either side of me were the only ones available. Surprisingly, sometimes airline staff lie.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:22 AM

4,919 posts, read 19,847,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
The number one reason is the failure of the passenger to read and understand the terms and conditions of their reservation when they booked it. Do you know the cut-off time before your seat can be reassigned based on the airline your traveling and type of flight, or do most just assume it's the same no matter what?

Another reason is when using third party on-line travel services, do you know if they are absolutely reserving that seat or is it more a hold on that seat? Can the airlines direct booked passenegers override your seat selection?

If there is an equipment change, airlines try to accomodate your previous seat selection but it may not physically be possible if the configuation is not the same.

But most times its as simple as the passenegrs not checking in or confirming seat selection, or arriving when they are suppose to causing the seat(s) to get reassigned. This happens alot when people checkin online but forget that the airline may have a time cutoff for in person checkin as well. So people check in online several hours ahead of time and show up to the airport 1 hours before the flight, but the airline policy is you must physically complete the airport checkin 2 hours before flight or your seat is reassigned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or