U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 07:49 PM

8 posts, read 32,184 times

Advertisements

We are driving from NY to FL in a couple of months, and don't need to make the drive straight through. We plan to stop probably twice along the way for the night.

First time making the family trip... any recommended places to stop and stay for the night to check out and get some good eats?

Looking forward to any suggestions...or places to avoid...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 10:01 PM

6,351 posts, read 19,343,335 times
Don' mees "South of the Border" in Dillon, SC! (Immediately South of the NC border on I-95) Pedro's silly-arse signs will remind you for probably a hunnert miles before you get there with all those cheesy sayings and double entendres... Worth a quick stop but don't stay too long!

Last edited by Crew Chief; 06-05-2010 at 03:59 PM.. Reason: Me no type good English...

Old 06-05-2010, 11:38 AM

5,417 posts, read 5,398,904 times
When we visit family in Jersey we take 113 and 13 rather than 95. It is very scenic. Depending on what route you are taking North Carolina is lovely to visit. The poster before me mentioned stopping at South of the Border in SC. They charge to use the bathrooms which are filthy and you DON'T want to eat any food there. Depending on what part of Florida you are going to a nice overnight stay is Palm Beach area. Have a nice trip.

Old 06-05-2010, 11:41 AM

9,123 posts, read 17,125,688 times
alaska is a nice place to stop on your way from NY to FL, its a little out way but, its a great place to take a stop.

Old 06-05-2010, 04:06 PM

6,351 posts, read 19,343,335 times
kelsie, I guess South of the Border has gotten even worse than the last time I stopped there... I've always thought the highway billboards were amusing enough to at least stop for a few minutes. Guess that's not true anymore.

The other piece of advice is: I really prefer Kelsie's U.S. 13 recommendation over I-95, as well.

Old 06-06-2010, 11:02 PM

21,353 posts, read 24,084,481 times
It depends on how far into FL you are going. Also you didnt mention where in NY you are starting from. So I'll guesstamate your trip to start within an hour of NYC. Your first stop would be somewhere between Ashland & Richmond Virginia. Your next stop will be somewhere in Georgia. These would your sleep stops. This would allow enough time for true sleep and other stops for touristy stuff. I95 is the most direct. Route 1 adds more time but you actually drive thru some towns. If you decide on Route 1, take 95 until Annapolis and take 54 to 1. then switch back to 95 north of Fredericksburg (route 1 past Richmond passes thru some unsafe areas until you get south of Petersburg).

Old 06-07-2010, 01:55 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,571,346 times
South of the Border is filthy and not terribly safe.

You can easily make the drive with only one overnight. Richmond Hill, GA is safe and convenient with a number of budget and moderate chain hotels.

Old 06-10-2010, 04:41 PM

2,639 posts, read 6,030,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
alaska is a nice place to stop on your way from NY to FL, its a little out way but, its a great place to take a stop.

Old 06-11-2010, 01:00 AM

1,492 posts, read 6,956,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
South of the Border is filthy and not terribly safe.

You can easily make the drive with only one overnight. Richmond Hill, GA is safe and convenient with a number of budget and moderate chain hotels.
You are going to find this hard to believe- but the Motel 6 in Richmond Hill is the best Motel 6 I've ever stayed. I found it because the beautiful hotel room I booked online in Savannah was HORRIBLE, we left after an hour and decided it was better to sleep in the car...so when we headed out to go ahead and go on to Disney....I was just to sleepy to drive, and by then I was in Richmond Hill and saw the Motel 6 sign.

Again, it was so clean! And for a place to rest your head- it's perfect.

Old 06-11-2010, 05:51 AM

27,236 posts, read 41,371,303 times
I was thinking the Carolinas somewhere myself. But I can't say I'm all that familiar with them. I heard NC has some pretty nice weather, nice country. Isn't Kitty Hawk in NC?

I'd probably make a second stop in St. Augustine, oldest city in the U.S. (technically--in some war with the British versus the Spanish, the soldiers burned the town to the ground and they had to rebuild...during the fight they were safely ensconced within the Castillo de San Marco, finally closed as a fort in 1900.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or