U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2010, 07:06 AM

3,442 posts, read 5,628,185 times

Advertisements

We had a great time in NYC and visited some things we missed but wanted to do on our May '09 visit. We few into Laguadia from Bangor, ME and it was only a 6 mile cab ride to our hotel (The Bentley) on 62nd Street. This was a package deal, air and hotel, so I should have paid more attention to the location of the hotel. It was a bit of a walk to Rockerfeller Ctr. Times Square and Central Park but as we had done last year took the City Bus several times. I prefer it to the subway and we also took cabs which are not all that expensive.

The highlight for me is always a Broadway show. We stood in the Tkts line on Saturday at 10 a.m. and in about 20 minutes we had 40% off - front row seats - to "A Little Night Music" with Angela Lansbury and Catherine Zeta-Jones. It was great. It's at the Walter Kerr Theater. Show started at 2 so we had an early dinner after the show at a place called "Langan's" on W. 47th St. as short walk from the theater. Great food, reasonable prices and nice setting.

Friday we used to visit the American Museum of Natural History. This place is great and deserves a 2nd visit as there just wasn't time or energy to see everything.

Had a late lunch that day at a sidewalk Cafe on Broadway "Luce" which also was good food and fun to watch the people stroll by. We saw Conchetta Ferrell walking along by herself as we ate. She plays the maid on 2 and a half Men.

On our last full day we did the 2 hour Circle Line boat ride around the tip of manhattan. The view was great of Lady Liberty and Ellis Island as well as the commentary. You get views from Hudson and the East River.

Next trip I want to get to Greenwich village and the NYU area. On our trip in 09 we went to St. Patrick's Cathedral, The Metropolitan Museum of Art, and saw Phantom of the Opera. Our memorable dinner from 09 was at AVRA a Greek restaurant on E. 48th street.

There were a few things I didn't like about "The Bentley" - room was clean and fine but no coffee maker, breakfast at the restaurant there is $15 per person and there are no ice machines. You have to have it delivered to your room. There is a great little cafe that is open 24 hours a day one block away - The Ritz. We ate breakfast there twice. We didn't have drinks at the Bently Bar but I heard from others that just a scotch on the rocks was $18. All in all a good memory of this years trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2010, 09:33 AM

13,193 posts, read 20,874,405 times
Sounds like you made good use of your time. I can't tell you how many people I know who take a trip to NYC, and ignore all the neighborhoods, museums, shows, etc, and just go from store to store buying stuff they could have gotten online.

Old 06-05-2010, 10:27 AM

3,442 posts, read 5,628,185 times
Mattie - I am not much of a shopper these days. I got my son a T shirt and bought myself a couple of those Pashminas from a vender on the corner - only $5 each and very pretty. I also got a mug in the Natural History Museum gift shop. I was amazed this time how many street vendors were selling "fruit". I made use of them a couple times. I'm wondering if Mayor Bloomberg is promoting these in trying to make New Yorkers healthier. Anyway it's a great idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel