U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 04:27 PM

4,485 posts, read 8,165,594 times

Advertisements

I saw this old thread and I can't recommend home exchanges enough. We haven't been exchanging as long as Mooseketeer but we've already done over 25 home exchanges around the world in the past 3 years. We travel about 100+ days a year mostly on home exchanges.

We've been to some really amazing places and made some great friends. It's really amazing living like a local. We are embarking on a 4 +month sabbatical trip and mostly staying in home exchanges. Except for a few cities we couldn't find an exchange for in Kauai, Hawaii we are staying in other properties.

Personally I don't swap for cars as I don't want the hassle of worrying about damaging their car or them damaging mine. Although several have offered theirs, I just rent a car. I've had one exchange partner tell me about a car accident he had in someone else's car. He felt so horrible. His insurance didn't cover it as it wasn't a rental car so he paid for it out of pocket. I also heard from an exchange partner in La Jolla where they exchanged with a German and when they got home they had over 10,000 miles on their car! The Germans drove clear across the country for several weeks!

We find that good communication is the best part of the home exchange process. We make a contract and leave emergency #'s for the people staying. We've never had any problems. It's such a wonderful experience. We use HomeExchange.com

We have so many future exchanges set up as we do a lot of non-simultaneous exchanges. We don't exchange with the house we live in but exchange with several rental properties we own. It's the best way to travel. Besides the cost savings, it's much more desirable to live like a local vs. stay in a hotel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 07:58 AM

1 posts, read 519 times
We have done numerous home exchanges to date. Home exchanging has allowed us to save on accommodation costs, car rental expenses, and restaurant meals…

Other benefits include the friends that we have made. We have stayed in touch with most of the people we exchanged with. And have also visited with them years later.

Families with children also benefit from having a whole house rather than a single room for the duration for the holiday. We often swap with other families, which usually means our kids have new toys to play with during the
holiday.

For anyone serious about trying this out, we strongly recommend that you join a reputable home exchange club. There are numerous clubs you can join, but one that has worked out really well for us is HOMEFORSWAP [url]http://www.homeforswap.com[/url]

Finding a home exchange may require some effort but we have always found that it has been well worth it.

Old 03-21-2011, 12:25 PM

1,236 posts, read 4,063,507 times
A friend of mine did that with a family from France. Both my friend and the French family loved each others homes and locations. My friend worried about things that might go wrong, like coming home to phone calls to France, items being stolen from the home, destruction of property, but none of that was an issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or