U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 03:27 AM

3,080 posts, read 9,939,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Or just wrap your whole body in a clear plastic coccoon while you are in the hotel room, or some sort of "boy in the bubble" contraption.
Not really. It's just a good idea not to have extended contact (6-8 hours) with porous materials (mattresses, pillows, sheets) where significant residues of bodily fluids or the parasites which live in/off them may reside, especially near the eyes, mouth, or other mucus membranes. Laying one's head on a pillow during a night's sleep is a good example.

Likewise, the shower is usually only given a cursory cleaning, and your feet tend to get the least attention during washing as well as spending hours in a warm, moist environment (in your shoes). A pair of $1 rubber sandals can remedy that while taking up a minimum of cargo space/weight.

As other's have mentioned, it's a scale of how effort vs your comfort level and exposure. A casual traveller who vacations once or twice a year in the West is probably okay rolling the dice. I figure the extra hygiene is worth the dollar sandals, sleep sheet, and quickdry towel.

Oh, I do wash my hands before any contact with my food or face after handling a hotel remote control and I avoid sitting naked in hotel room chairs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2010, 03:39 AM

43,545 posts, read 52,637,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
Yes I do. When I worked in the hospitality industry, I saw too many towels in toilets, covered with human feces or other bodily fluids, and then put right back into service after a quick laundering. I only need a hand-towel sized quickdry for showering, and that takes up no space at all.

I also take along a heavy-gauge cotton sleep sheet which is serger-finished against bedbugs. It takes up about as much space as a pair of pants when properly rolled. Of course, I often stay in pretty crummy accomodations. However, based on my experience, I'd use my own sheet and towels even if I was staying at the Ritz.

My question is this: Does anyone here go barefoot in hotel rooms, showers, or other communal showers/baths?
Then I guess you'd better never eat out or see a movie...or ever leave the house.

I mean, every industry has its disgusting secrets, and as long as no one is dying or catching weird diseases left and right, I think I'll throw caution to the wind on that one.

Old 06-12-2010, 12:12 PM

27,236 posts, read 41,375,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
Not really. It's just a good idea not to have extended contact (6-8 hours) with porous materials (mattresses, pillows, sheets) where significant residues of bodily fluids or the parasites which live in/off them may reside, especially near the eyes, mouth, or other mucus membranes. Laying one's head on a pillow during a night's sleep is a good example.

Likewise, the shower is usually only given a cursory cleaning, and your feet tend to get the least attention during washing as well as spending hours in a warm, moist environment (in your shoes). A pair of $1 rubber sandals can remedy that while taking up a minimum of cargo space/weight.

As other's have mentioned, it's a scale of how effort vs your comfort level and exposure. A casual traveller who vacations once or twice a year in the West is probably okay rolling the dice. I figure the extra hygiene is worth the dollar sandals, sleep sheet, and quickdry towel.

Oh, I do wash my hands before any contact with my food or face after handling a hotel remote control and I avoid sitting naked in hotel room chairs.
Why not just bring your own sanitizer and bug bombs? Bleach is pretty cheap.

Old 06-12-2010, 01:05 PM

7,185 posts, read 11,226,137 times
I usually wrap the TV remote with a tissue or similar as it gives me piece of mind. I also put a bath towel down on the chair I sit in in the hotel room. One other thing I do is I put a hand towel on the floor and wipe my feet really good before I put them in my fresh socks and shoes.

I'm not fanatical about this stuff, but I just think it's a minimal step to protect myself.

Old 06-12-2010, 01:29 PM

8,266 posts, read 10,705,471 times
Quote:
I usually wrap the TV remote with a tissue or similar as it gives me piece of mind
(..)
I'm not fanatical about this stuff
Yes, you certainly are.

Old 06-12-2010, 01:33 PM

8,266 posts, read 10,705,471 times
This thread is just craziness. Using a handrail or doorknob will usually put you in contact with a lot more diverse set of people's germs just by volume or recent participants irregardless of how porous it is.

We are a lot tougher than you think.

Old 06-12-2010, 01:55 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,381,764 times
LOL, just bring the lysol to spray everything down.

Sponger42, were do you get a sleep sheet? Do you know of any all purpose cleaner that would be good for travel(something small in size)?

Old 06-12-2010, 02:34 PM

13,161 posts, read 20,780,088 times
I do pack a pillow, because I like down, and so few hotels use it. I also have a great beach towel that has a pocket at one end to fit over the top of the chair and extends the whole length. Sometimes beach chair cushions look kind of gross.

In the room, it's a crap shoot. If it struck me as someplace needing a good cleaning, I would just leave. I'm willing to chance a few odd germs here and there though. I have never gotten sick from a hotel stay, so I don't obsess over it.

Old 06-13-2010, 04:26 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,200,766 times

I usually pack a hazmat suit when I know I'll stay in a hotel.

Old 06-13-2010, 02:28 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,381,764 times
Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel