Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Tri-Cities
 [Register]
Tri-Cities Kennewick - Pasco - Richland area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 11:50 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,457,035 times

Advertisements

Having heard about how this or that part of town (east Kennewick, east Pasco) is so awful/crime-ridden/gang-infested, and never finding anything awful myself, I'm seeking opinions.

Please tell me the very worst, most criminal, most woebegone intersection in each town: Richland, Kennewick, Pasco, West Richland. I want to go there, by day and night, and check them out. It will be an interesting project, and I can do it of a Saturday evening. Tell me the place where the cops will pull me over just for being there, where I might get jacked, where wearing the wrong color (or being the wrong color) is suicide. I want to see these for myself.

So far the worst I have yet seen is Columbia Drive at night in Kennewick near the cable bridge, where it's fairly common for a KPD squad car to tail random drivers for a while (I'm sure they run the plates and then just follow you for a while to dish a little intimidation). However, I live just uphill from east Kennewick and I feel like I've been all over it.

Help me find our Beirut. Right now I am not all convinced we have one, or anything one could mistake for it at ten miles. Some time back, someone on here characterized east Kennewick as Beirut, which struck me as very silly, so now I'm going In Search Of. And don't worry for my safety (those local boosters who dislike my contrarian views on the general mediocrity and static mentality of the area may actually take pleasure in hoping someone busts a cap in me, so here's your chance). I speak English and Spanish, am not afraid, and will be fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 11:57 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times
Good luck in your search.

There is a gas station on the west side of 395 in Kennewick that made me feel like I was back in Southern California, but anyone with a reasonable amount of wit would get out of there alive without their skin tingling.

Even in Pasco, I never saw an area that warranted fear. Good luck finding anything in Richland or West Richland.

Old 08-12-2011, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Good luck in your search.

There is a gas station on the west side of 395 in Kennewick that made me feel like I was back in Southern California, but anyone with a reasonable amount of wit would get out of there alive without their skin tingling.
Where? The Sunmart on 395 and 27th, maybe, or the Tesoro across the street?

As you may imagine, I'm not expecting a whole lot of disaster areas.

Old 08-12-2011, 03:28 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
Where? The Sunmart on 395 and 27th, maybe, or the Tesoro across the street?

As you may imagine, I'm not expecting a whole lot of disaster areas.
The Tesoro is actually ringing a bell. That place was disgusting in multiple ways.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:59 AM

33 posts, read 117,541 times
Hope you find what you are looking for. I would not characterize anywhere around here as bad, but if we learned anything from movies is that areas with access to old industrial buildings and railroad tracks is where all the hoodlums hang out... ;-)

Try:
East A St. Just W of Oregon Ave.
Maybe Ainsworth and similar streets in the Pasco Port Just E of Oregon Ave.

Or, Based on history, try hanging out at Chiawana Park....

But most of all, be careful. I really enjoy reading your posts.

Old 08-17-2011, 03:56 PM

Thanks, Sam. I'll put those on my Pasco Danger Grand Tour.

Now I just need to find the ones in Kennewick. Anyone? Where is Kennewick's Compton? I am guessing off hand that the worst part of Richland is basically the parking lot of the Uptown, which is not saying much at all, and that the worst part of West Richland has to do not with crime but with supposed crimefighters--i.e. the infamous rep of the WRPD for predatory ticketing.

Old 08-18-2011, 01:29 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,064,697 times
Yeah, the tough part of Richland is quite relative, it's a pretty tame town.

Actually I think Richland PD is getting worse and West less bad about "revenue generation" law enforcement.

I have heard that the eastern regions of Kennewick can be tough, I have gone over to the junkyards, pawnshops, etc there and actually I personally like that part of town better than the richer parts - since I have old cars I shop the junkyards for parts, the pawn shops have good deals on used but not used up "stuff" of all sorts. I'd rather spend my time and dollar with gritty, properly hairy-chested guys over there than with coiffed and manicured metrosexual types round the mall.

I'm sure if a guy wandered around there in the wee hours of the morning, drunk as a skunk and with big old gold chains around his neck, he'd wake up without the gold and with a lump on his head for his indiscretions - you might get away with this in Richland or West.

Old 08-18-2011, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Yeah, the tough part of Richland is quite relative, it's a pretty tame town.

Actually I think Richland PD is getting worse and West less bad about "revenue generation" law enforcement.

I have heard that the eastern regions of Kennewick can be tough, I have gone over to the junkyards, pawnshops, etc there and actually I personally like that part of town better than the richer parts - since I have old cars I shop the junkyards for parts, the pawn shops have good deals on used but not used up "stuff" of all sorts. I'd rather spend my time and dollar with gritty, properly hairy-chested guys over there than with coiffed and manicured metrosexual types round the mall.

I'm sure if a guy wandered around there in the wee hours of the morning, drunk as a skunk and with big old gold chains around his neck, he'd wake up without the gold and with a lump on his head for his indiscretions - you might get away with this in Richland or West.
You're an Art Carpenter's junkie. I knew it! ^5.

I'm just curious to see what is the very toughest part of each city. I want to go there and hang out, get the vibe. I want to walk the mean streets of Richland. That comment from someone months back calling east Kennewick 'Beirut' definitely stuck with me, I guess.

Old 08-19-2011, 01:54 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,064,697 times
Well, if you want to feel the vibe of the toughest part of Richland, you will need to visit the Uptown say on a very quiet Sunday morning, sit on the sidewalk in the Lotus position, and really listen closely - or you will miss it.

Yeah, I like Art's place and all those shops around there.

I like Dan's Garage, where the have good used parts for my old Impala and truck, and don't look at me like I am from the moon because I am still running 60's and 70's iron.

Old 08-19-2011, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Well, if you want to feel the vibe of the toughest part of Richland, you will need to visit the Uptown say on a very quiet Sunday morning, sit on the sidewalk in the Lotus position, and really listen closely - or you will miss it.

Yeah, I like Art's place and all those shops around there.

I like Dan's Garage, where the have good used parts for my old Impala and truck, and don't look at me like I am from the moon because I am still running 60's and 70's iron.
Heh. I'll get right on that Uptown idea. I hear that some of the locals get hopped up on spudnuts and use stronger language than "Oh my heck!"

No one who is still driving his 1990 Toyota truck, 21 years and 114K miles later, and refuses to buy A/C for it because it seems a self-indulgent waste, is going to get all astronomy on anyone even if he is still driving a Battlestar Galactica or two. You're totally safe.

Been to the surplus place out east of the road to Finley yet? I've seen signs but never actually gone out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Tri-Cities