Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Tri-Cities
 [Register]
Tri-Cities Kennewick - Pasco - Richland area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 08:14 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,751,669 times

Advertisements

The Tri-Cities and Yakima get the hottest temps in the state, and they are calling this next heatwave "historic", mainly because it is the 2nd one in June, where usually the heatwaves occur in mid July to mid August.

109-112 in Tri-Cities for Saturday, and especially Sunday...plus just to spice it up a bit of humidity thrown in.

I read that the NW is about halfway through a 30 year cycle of above normal temperatures. So I guess we have 15 more years of this. Global warming believers say it will go on longer than that. I don't know how anyone can predict that.

In the meantime, my strategy is turning the AC up to about 80, and run a fan at the same time. It still feels cool in these conditions. How about you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2015, 08:29 PM

102,062 posts, read 106,967,400 times
Seattle finally will have to give in and go AC en masse. No more "but we don't need it enough to justify paying for central air!"

Demand for electricity will jump. Will Western WA be able to meet the demand? Will it go nuclear? Stay tuned for further developments.

Old 06-25-2015, 10:32 PM

Yeah, while I posted this in the Tri-Cities section, I agree, some in the Seattle area may want to reconsider AC. But it really is an issue of how many days it is needed. My rough estimate is in the Tri-Cities, probably 50-75 days. In Seattle, that estimate is much lower, perhaps 8-12 days. However, if this is changing, then so be it. Do what you can afford, or what is important to you.

Old 06-25-2015, 11:18 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,419,569 times
I'm over in Moses Lake and tomorrow (Friday) it's supposed ta get 100, Saturday 103 and Sunday 107. We've already been using our air conditioner in the window for about a month now. We run our overhead fan without the A/C unit and then with the A/C unit when it's needed. And that is by noon, really.

Old 06-26-2015, 01:27 AM

My temp on my deck at 11:24pm is still 89. I think the Tri is in for multiple days of triple digits. For June, this is just crazy. Late July...maybe. But not in June.

My AC is set at 80. When it comes on I get a nice blast of 80 degree cool air!

Old 06-26-2015, 10:58 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,419,569 times
Would anyone claim this is global warming? I intentionally didn't capitalize both the 'g' in global and the 'w' in warming. I know it's not a widely-held belief among many people. I am just wondering what's going on with this heat way up north like this. We've spent a lot of time in the desert southwest in the last 9 years and this is the kind of heat we got used to down there!

Old 06-26-2015, 03:46 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,486,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
Would anyone claim this is global warming? I intentionally didn't capitalize both the 'g' in global and the 'w' in warming. I know it's not a widely-held belief among many people. I am just wondering what's going on with this heat way up north like this. We've spent a lot of time in the desert southwest in the last 9 years and this is the kind of heat we got used to down there!
Well, I'm a believer, based on personal experience in my former, life-long residence...but most people there are in denial, it seems...

Old 06-27-2015, 11:22 PM

It is so funny, I was in Seattle last night watching the local news and they all seemed alarmed and crazed at 90 degree temps! So I drive back to Tri-Cities and it is 108. Nobody seems to care. Cultural weather differences within 125 miles! That is what exists.

Old 06-28-2015, 03:28 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,401,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
It is so funny, I was in Seattle last night watching the local news and they all seemed alarmed and crazed at 90 degree temps! So I drive back to Tri-Cities and it is 108. Nobody seems to care. Cultural weather differences within 125 miles! That is what exists.
I was in Seattle and Kennewick for about equal amounts of time, sixteen years each. While there was always the usual pathetic open weeping about the weather in both places, Seattle's was worse. In Seattle, it was almost Californian in its whining, as if 'this shouldn't be possible, it's not fair.' In neither place was there a lot of just buck up and stop bawling, but Seattle definitely had Kennewick outbawled. And that's in the summer. In winter, half an inch of slush and Seattle lost its mind. We had eight inches once and 15 F for days, and you'd think it was the apocalypse. But make no mistake: the TC did their share of weather whining. It just wasn't as bleaty, probably because people who bought property in the TC did not pay Seattle prices, thus they did not quite so much feel that that should entitle them to automatic happiness.

My own attitude, which was basically 'I don't want to hear it, toughen up and stop crying,' wasn't popular in either place, but in Kennewick it was just considered weird, whereas in Seattle it was like I was a space alien for saying such things. Didn't care. The only thing that can make bad weather more uncomfortable is having to listen to crybabies sob about it, and that existed in both places. This is the West, and I expect Westerners to buck up with good cheer in the face of adversity.

Old 07-01-2015, 12:52 PM

17,115 posts, read 56,757,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
I was in Seattle and Kennewick for about equal amounts of time, sixteen years each. While there was always the usual pathetic open weeping about the weather in both places, Seattle's was worse. In Seattle, it was almost Californian in its whining, as if 'this shouldn't be possible, it's not fair.' In neither place was there a lot of just buck up and stop bawling, but Seattle definitely had Kennewick outbawled. And that's in the summer. In winter, half an inch of slush and Seattle lost its mind. We had eight inches once and 15 F for days, and you'd think it was the apocalypse. But make no mistake: the TC did their share of weather whining. It just wasn't as bleaty, probably because people who bought property in the TC did not pay Seattle prices, thus they did not quite so much feel that that should entitle them to automatic happiness.

My own attitude, which was basically 'I don't want to hear it, toughen up and stop crying,' wasn't popular in either place, but in Kennewick it was just considered weird, whereas in Seattle it was like I was a space alien for saying such things. Didn't care. The only thing that can make bad weather more uncomfortable is having to listen to crybabies sob about it, and that existed in both places. This is the West, and I expect Westerners to buck up with good cheer in the face of adversity.
I totally agree! Whining is unseemly, don't do it. What do you think Clint says when it's hot, or cold, or whatever?

Whining makes you come across as an entitled wimp. I like the traditional Navy Nuke rejoinder to it: "Whah, F'n Whah!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Tri-Cities