Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Tri-Cities
 [Register]
Tri-Cities Kennewick - Pasco - Richland area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2015, 09:36 PM

3,223 posts, read 10,080,373 times

Advertisements

It seems like the chain restaurants like Five Guys, Red Robin, Olive Garden, Texas Roadhouse and Red Lobster are often packed and it's never uncommon to wait a bit for a table, why do so many people think they're the only good restaurants the Tri-Cities has to offer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2015, 02:33 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,432,292 times
It's just part of the local culture. It defines itself to some degree by the number and prestige of chain restaurants that locate there. It's very hard for quality independent restaurants to break in, because they have to make a living for ten years before people take a week off from the Country Gentleman (which they followed way the hell out Badger Road) and give them a try. I remember the year they got an IHOP and an Olive Garden in the same year, and you'd have thought it was the Rapture. If they ever get a Nordstrom, it'll be a spontaneous Boat Race Weekend in exultation.

There's a Five Guys there now? Should do well. Will put pressure on Zip's (which I liked) and Burger Ranch (which I did not). Wonder how it's doing. There's a Sonic, as I recall, and I think it was often busy. Gage is a good location for chains.

Old 10-26-2015, 04:19 AM

30,166 posts, read 18,984,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopac1980 View Post
It seems like the chain restaurants like Five Guys, Red Robin, Olive Garden, Texas Roadhouse and Red Lobster are often packed and it's never uncommon to wait a bit for a table, why do so many people think they're the only good restaurants the Tri-Cities has to offer?
There's been a dearth of good restaurants in the Tri-Cities which has improved with time. My belief is you have a good restaurant in Tri-Cities, it's going to do well. So my perspective is people go to the chains because there aren't enough good alternatives.

Old 10-26-2015, 06:13 PM

17,166 posts, read 56,931,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
There's been a dearth of good restaurants in the Tri-Cities which has improved with time. My belief is you have a good restaurant in Tri-Cities, it's going to do well. So my perspective is people go to the chains because there aren't enough good alternatives.
Yeah and no. You can't treat the Tri-Cities as a single block. Richland, for example, has a good bit of money in it, but the old-timer population is CHEAP. About the only upscale to survive long term is Anthony's, which is technically a chain but I give them a pass because the chain is small and the quality is very good. But their location can draw from all 3 cities.

There are a lot of good to excellent non-chain restaurants here, see the thread on them. Masala could hold their head up in a much bigger city. Wide variety of good Mexican and Tex-Mex.

The thing is, for whatever reason, Tri-Cities people do love chains.

Old 10-26-2015, 07:20 PM

3,223 posts, read 10,080,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Yeah and no. You can't treat the Tri-Cities as a single block. Richland, for example, has a good bit of money in it, but the old-timer population is CHEAP. About the only upscale to survive long term is Anthony's, which is technically a chain but I give them a pass because the chain is small and the quality is very good. But their location can draw from all 3 cities.

There are a lot of good to excellent non-chain restaurants here, see the thread on them. Masala could hold their head up in a much bigger city. Wide variety of good Mexican and Tex-Mex.

The thing is, for whatever reason, Tri-Cities people do love chains.
I agree there are a lot of Mexican restaurants in the Tri-Cities that range from very good to excellent, I personally enjoy going to these restaurants more than the chains any day.

Old 10-26-2015, 10:38 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,821,079 times
With a few exceptions, a market of just under 300K can't expect to have quality local restaurant establishments. Compare to others of similar size. However, a couple/three can exist, and many have been mentioned here. Explore, sample, and spread the word.

Old 10-27-2015, 10:51 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,432,292 times
Well, too, the definition of 'quality' varies from person to person. It helps to clarify one's own.

For some people, quality is related to upscaleness; in other words, quality dining is fine dining, or formal dining with all the trappings. For some, it's related to value received, so they would have a best-in-class for steakhouses, taco trucks, etc. And for some, it's pure and simple, whose food tastes the best and isn't dangerous.

Since I like to try a wide variety of things, I'm about halfway between the second and the third. I do want to know the best in each class, without expecting Zip's to be Red Robin and grading them out separately, but I also will have a bottom line overall preference. And those are just definitions through my own lens, which may not apply to others.

Old 10-27-2015, 07:26 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,821,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
Well, too, the definition of 'quality' varies from person to person. It helps to clarify one's own.

For some people, quality is related to upscaleness; in other words, quality dining is fine dining, or formal dining with all the trappings. For some, it's related to value received, so they would have a best-in-class for steakhouses, taco trucks, etc. And for some, it's pure and simple, whose food tastes the best and isn't dangerous.

Since I like to try a wide variety of things, I'm about halfway between the second and the third. I do want to know the best in each class, without expecting Zip's to be Red Robin and grading them out separately, but I also will have a bottom line overall preference. And those are just definitions through my own lens, which may not apply to others.
Fair post, and I agree. For me personally, it means quality food, good service, at a decent price. (By decent, I don't mean cheap, but not over-the-top expensive either.) I think you are on the right track here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Tri-Cities
View detailed profiles of: