U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Tri-Cities
 [Register]
Tri-Cities Kennewick - Pasco - Richland area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 12:44 PM

34 posts, read 24,342 times

Advertisements

From what I've read on this forum and other online sources, the Tri-Cities area offers a lot for a single, healthy retiree who's considering buying a smallish [700-1,000 SqFt] house.

I plan to visit the area, probably during November, and would greatly appreciate suggestions for specific neighborhoods and areas to visit. And for that matter, tips on areas to avoid.

I'm not looking for anything fancy; just a solid neighborhood, low crime, with smallish houses priced under about $165k. I've seen a number of such houses online but naturally have no idea what the neighborhoods are like.

So for Kennewick, Richland, Pasco, and surrounding area--can you give me tips on the neighborhoods/areas that might best suit me? Names of the neighborhoods, landmarks, rough street boundaries--anything that might be helpful.

Thanks!
robin9
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2016, 03:26 PM

6,564 posts, read 12,812,516 times
I can speak best for Kennewick, where I lived for seventeen years. There are a lot of retirees near where I used to live, in SE Kennewick near 27th & Garfield. The neighborhood doesn't really have a name. It is mostly late 1950s construction with modest sized houses, and if you do not want a view, that area's pretty quiet. There are even smaller houses north of that area, but that is considered east Kennewick and is more run down in general. Central Kennewick has plenty of relatively small places as well.

I would guess that the corresponding part of Pasco would be out toward Road 36, what one might call central Pasco (if west Pasco is out toward Road 68, and east Pasco is out toward Oregon Ave). Richland, now, has zillions of options plus the least objectionable hospital of the three. The reason it has those options is because so much of it was government-built, so it's full of boxy little WWII-era houses, duplexes, fourplexes. To learn more, search for alphabet houses or letter houses--it's part of the city's history.

In all the cities, out toward the fringes you find the more expensive newer construction. That would include virtually all of West Richland, western Kennewick, southwestern Richland, west Pasco, and lately south central Kennewick. These are all rough descriptions and there are exceptions everywhere, so these are the roughest of generalizations. Have an enjoyable trip, and don't forget to get Mexican food. The standard of that in the TC is very high, so I hope you like it if you are thinking of living there.

Old 10-18-2016, 05:10 PM

15,033 posts, read 47,224,644 times
The old downtown part of Kennewick, or the old "Letter" house area of Richland (mostly west of Jadwin Ave.) have some older, smaller homes that might be in your price target range. Pretty much just echoing what jkk posted. I am less familiar with Pasco, there is the old part of town there, but how much of it is going to stay desirable and what parts will run down over the next few years I don't know.

You could check out Benton City, small town about 8 miles to the west of West Richland.

Old 10-20-2016, 12:25 PM

j_k_k and M3 Mitch:

Much thanks for info--I appreciate the specifics--yes, I do like Mexican food, which will make my Tri-Cities visit more enjoyable.

I've been checking online for Tri-Cities extended-stay rentals in case I want to spend 2-4 weeks there, which would make my trip more relaxed. If you have any tips in that regard, feel free to relay them to me--I've done the usual searches, craigslist, etc--

Slight change of subject--What do you think of Spokane? I might drive up there since it's only 2+ hrs from Tri-Cities--hope I can beat winter weather--not sure when snow typically starts. Spokane houses seem to be even more affordable but I'm not sure how I'd deal with the snow, and with what appears to be a higher crime rate compared to Tri-Cities. Any thoughts on the Spokane area?

Thx again--

Old 10-20-2016, 02:22 PM

There are some weekly places in Pasco, as I recall. I have never stayed in any; when we lived there, we just lived there, and now when we visit, we stay with friends in S Kennewick or our self-adopted daughter in Burbank.

There's a thread on the best non-chain restaurants in the TC, plus a couple others on eats, where Mitch and I and others hold forth on our opinions of the best Mexican food. I still vote for Hacienda del Sol on Road 68, but Cinco de Mayo on Columbia Center Blvd, 3 Margaritas in Kennewick and Richland, Garibaldi's in east Pasco, and Inca in Kennewick are all better than anything we have near me now in Beaverton (which by itself is as big as two of the TC combined, and with Aloha and Hillsboro tacked on, is significantly larger). For taco truck, the quesadillas at Tacos la Diferencia at 4th & Court. One's taco truck loyalty is a subject about which TCians can get passionate.

Spokane is over twice the size, has harsher winters and much worse roads (I am convinced that the civic pasttime consists of lobbing mortar rounds onto the streets, then closing lanes and roads to repair the craters). It also necessarily has more options for nearly everything than the TC, simply due to size. It's got a more active and unified civic spirit, in my observation, which makes sense as the three primary TC have rough parity in size while Spokane itself can dominate its urban area. Crime is higher in Spokane, yes. I would characterize the winters in both as somewhat harsh but very different. In Spokane, it's ice and snow and a fair bit of temperature variance. In the TC, it's mostly clear and cold and dry with punishing winds. Spokane's pose more issues due to ice.

If you're thinking of an exploratory trip, just check the weather along the route (Connell, Ritzville, Cheney), and maybe plan to travel in the mid-afternoon. The roads naturally have more tendency toward ice at night, but it's early enough in the cold season you have good odds of being okay.

Old 10-20-2016, 04:02 PM

Definitely you can find extended stay hotels/motels here.

Excellent Mexican food, as noted, abounds. I think the choice between them is more about where you are when you get hungry, and which one makes your favorite dish the way you personally prefer. Also have quite decent Thai food, Emerald of Siam for example in the Uptown strip mall in Richland. Another good general Oriental joint is Shogun, only a few weeks in business, but very good, reasonable prices, close to where I work. Big menu. Chinese food for whatever reason we don't have the variety and quality of Mexican or even Thai. Probably the best Chinese is Mandarin House on Lee Blvd.

By all means check out Spokane, it is as noted a different kind of place, with advantages and disadvantages. For me the additional snow in the winter makes it a weak competitor to here, but, some people like that snow. If you are into outdoor recreation at all, check out White Elephant store in Spokane, all sorts of hunting, fishing, and camping gear - and toys too, apparently to sell to the wives of the guys shopping outdoor stuff.

Old 10-21-2016, 02:30 PM

j_k_k + M3 Mitch:

You guys are serious eaters--now I'll probably increase my food budget during Tri-Cities visit--

btw, I've been reading your posts on other threads; great info--

Old 10-21-2016, 03:09 PM

We balance well in part because we see the region from different locations. Mitch lives up west of town, so his logical greatest familiarity is with the parts nearest him (Richland, perhaps west Kennewick). I lived in south Kennewick, and Pasco was closer to me than Richland. I mainly went there to go to Adventures Underground, a great bookstore in the Uptown. For perfection, we'd have a voice from east or central Pasco to balance us both.

Old 10-21-2016, 06:06 PM

Well, we are both fans of Adventures Underground. Glad to have that store here.

Yeah, if someone who really knows Pasco would join our little collective, that would help. There are a few businesses I know in Pasco, mostly industrial supply and particularly used tire outfits, that I know about because such businesses only exist over there. But I don't get to that part of town much.

Old 10-21-2016, 07:17 PM

One business I wish I could have taken with me to Aloverton is Art Carpenter's hardware. OP, it's an enormous collection of secondhand hardware. If you wanted to outfit a garage as a shop, or refit a room, you could probably find much of what you might need at that place. I'm sure Mitch is familiar with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Tri-Cities
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or