U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Tri-Cities
 [Register]
Tri-Cities Kennewick - Pasco - Richland area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 10:25 AM

22,433 posts, read 11,524,647 times

Advertisements

If job and family wasn't driving my choice, I would probably go with Boise. It's the city in Idaho and probably about double the size of Tri Cities. The climates are very similar... Tri Cities probably gets less sun in the winter and Boise might get even more wind. I lived for some time in TRi Cities and recently bought a house to retire there in 2017 due to proximity to my son and grandsons in Seattle and daughter in Richland. Tri Cities is good for sports programs, has good schools, and is low crime and I think the same can be said for Boise. One good thing about Tri Cities is the Columbia River as well as snake and Yakima all run through the area and there are many excellent wineries in the area. Another advantage is proximity to Settle & Portland. Still, Boise is going to have more to do and more of an actual downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2016, 10:56 AM

6,946 posts, read 4,732,320 times
Boise metro: 665,000
Tri-Cities metro: 280,000

Old 11-30-2016, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
If job and family wasn't driving my choice, I would probably go with Boise. It's the city in Idaho and probably about double the size of Tri Cities. The climates are very similar... Tri Cities probably gets less sun in the winter and Boise might get even more wind. I lived for some time in TRi Cities and recently bought a house to retire there in 2017 due to proximity to my son and grandsons in Seattle and daughter in Richland. Tri Cities is good for sports programs, has good schools, and is low crime and I think the same can be said for Boise. One good thing about Tri Cities is the Columbia River as well as snake and Yakima all run through the area and there are many excellent wineries in the area. Another advantage is proximity to Settle & Portland. Still, Boise is going to have more to do and more of an actual downtown.
I agree with most of this. I moved back to the Tri-Cities almost two years ago for a lot of reasons you brought up. Easy access to Portland, and especially my hometown of Seattle is important. Also bought real estate here with the understanding it is still relatively cheap and with a growing economy will likely increase nicely. Low crime, yes that has been my experience here. The river culture is fantastic...it is nice to see the wide blue river rolling through the desert. Boise is prettier with nearby mountains, but I have always liked the rolling desert hills around Tri-Cities as well. Weather? I think you have it spot on, but the biggest difference is Tri-Cities rarely has extremes, and compared with the westside, is sunny and dry.

BTW, I listed the metro populations as of 2016 above. They are estimates, but I noticed there were a number of population numbers posted in this thread that are either outdated, or simply inaccurate.

Old 11-30-2016, 04:50 PM

6,564 posts, read 12,802,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post

BTW, I listed the metro populations as of 2016 above. They are estimates, but I noticed there were a number of population numbers posted in this thread that are either outdated, or simply inaccurate.
The question in both cases is: what do you include?

TC: Finley? Probably. West Richland? Almost have to. Benton City? Maybe. Burbank? Hmmm. Prosser? Kind of a reach.

Boise: Eagle? Oh, probably. Nampa? I'd say so. Caldwell? Now we're getting out there. Star? Might be. Garden City? Don't see how one could not. Kuna? Not so sure.

In any case, I don't think there is much debate that the Boise metro area is roughly triple the population.

Old 11-30-2016, 04:54 PM

4 posts, read 5,217 times
My aunt lives in Richland so I've visited there before and liked it but I wasn't there for very long. As for Boise I've spent a bit of time there as well. Wasn't really able to get a feel for either as much as I would like. I've got years of experience in real estate now with the same company (worked through college with it), my real estate license in Arizona (so national portion covered, would just need a few classes in whatever state) and a college degree so I am hoping that helps with the job search.

Old 11-30-2016, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post

TC: Finley? Probably. West Richland? Almost have to. Benton City? Maybe. Burbank? Hmmm. Prosser? Kind of a reach.

Boise: Eagle? Oh, probably. Nampa? I'd say so. Caldwell? Now we're getting out there. Star? Might be. Garden City? Don't see how one could not. Kuna? Not so sure.

In any case, I don't think there is much debate that the Boise metro area is roughly triple the population.
I used government estimates of the MSA's for each city. The MSA of Tri-Cities is Benton and Franklin County. The MSA of Boise is Ada, Canyon, Gem, Boise, and Owyhee counties.

So, by MSA population, Boise is roughly just over twice the population of Tri-Cities.

Old 11-30-2016, 05:24 PM

Quote:

I used government estimates of the MSA's for each city. The MSA of Tri-Cities is Benton and Franklin County. The MSA of Boise is Ada, Canyon, Gem, Boise, and Owyhee counties.

So, by MSA population, Boise is roughly just over 2 times the population of Tri-Cities. Both metros increased by about 10% in the past five years. Of course Boise is larger but not three times. And there is no doubt the city of Boise is much bigger than the individual cities in the Tri, thus creating a real downtown, something that Kennewick, Richand and Pasco do not offer. Obviously, Boise is the Idaho State capital, and its largest city and metro area.

Last edited by pnwguy2; 11-30-2016 at 05:39 PM..

Old 11-30-2016, 08:11 PM

6,564 posts, read 12,802,086 times
Well, for those to whom the precise distinction is of more importance than the general comparison and overall understanding of the differences, I guess you win that one. However, it's got its flaws. I wouldn't include all five of those counties in the Boise metropolitan area, no way. And the stated methodology for the TC causes it to include Prosser (not sure how far west of that the Benton County line goes) and Connell (which is really a stretch) but to exclude Burbank, which is in WW County.

Old 11-30-2016, 08:38 PM

No precise distinction, just a general correction. And I do understand the differences as I have pointed out. No worries. BTW, I also have lived in Boise.

Last edited by pnwguy2; 11-30-2016 at 08:52 PM..

Old 11-30-2016, 10:04 PM

3,186 posts, read 1,638,822 times
Quote:
Well, for those to whom the precise distinction is of more importance than the general comparison and overall understanding of the differences, I guess you win that one. However, it's got its flaws. I wouldn't include all five of those counties in the Boise metropolitan area, no way. And the stated methodology for the TC causes it to include Prosser (not sure how far west of that the Benton County line goes) and Connell (which is really a stretch) but to exclude Burbank, which is in WW County.
I just did a search on Wikipedia and they listed Tri Cities at 253K and Boise at 617K in 2010....so Boise about 2.4 times larger. So there's really no comparison. I wish there were a downtown area of Tri Cities but there's really not, it's like 3 small cities and a small town (W. Richland) I really liked your overall analysis btw.

I think both would qualify as 'booming' currently. Both also would qualify as areas good to raise a family in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Tri-Cities
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or