Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Tri-Cities
 [Register]
Tri-Cities Kennewick - Pasco - Richland area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 10:56 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,870,959 times

Advertisements

Yes, the lack of a downtown area in the Tri-Cities is indeed an issue, as I pointed out earlier. Some say Columbia Center Blvd. is the real downtown of the Tri, but it really is just a major commercial strip that houses the area's only major mall.

Your wiki figures are correct for 2010. I was looking at the estimated 2015 figures. Yes, both areas continue to boom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2016, 11:42 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,456,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post

I think both would qualify as 'booming' currently. Both also would qualify as areas good to raise a family in.
Thanks for the kind words. I think both have their advantages. Boise didn't work out for us, but it does work out for some. I loved living in the TC, though I didn't love everything about it. Hated the Kennewick city government with a passion burning with a clear purple flame. Loved my neighbors, the lack of traffic, the dry climate, and the annual sprinkler boondoggle (not).

One significant difference I didn't add: in the TC, LDS population is something like 11%. I'm not going to look that up, so if it's actually 12%, consider me corrected; I think I'm close. In Boise, I think it is more like 35%. This definitely does have its impact on the culture and employment world, because the CJCLDS is pretty tribal and has its own employment agency. Boise is a superb place to start a small business, very much something locals are receptive to, and that's good because unless you're a Mormon, at least a fair percentage of jobs, you ain't getting. Not every LDS-owned business hires more for the Church than for the firm, but some do (and I used to work for one, long ago, so this isn't just fantasy speculation; worst place I ever worked). So it's a thing to think about. Likewise, some neighbors, once they find out you aren't LDS, won't talk to you any more. Not all, of course, not even close to all, but often enough it will touch your life in Boise.

Oh, and if you think that somehow they won't learn in the hiring process, be assured they will. How could they possibly know? If it weren't for cultural code words dropped in conversation (or not), it would be the résumé that does not list a mission, is definitely from an area outside the Jello Belt, and doesn't say thing one about church activities. I mean, if I want to signal my religion to a prospective employer, I don't have to wear a necklace. My Hobbies and Activities section can just include something about it.

Anyway, that's less common in the TC. I used to have my own business and a lot of my best clients were LDS, but I do not delude myself into thinking that they wouldn't have engaged the services of a Member if one had been available. There just wasn't one, so they had to make the best of it with a Gentile.

Old 12-01-2016, 12:25 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,435,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
Thanks for the kind words. I think both have their advantages. Boise didn't work out for us, but it does work out for some. I loved living in the TC, though I didn't love everything about it. Hated the Kennewick city government with a passion burning with a clear purple flame. Loved my neighbors, the lack of traffic, the dry climate, and the annual sprinkler boondoggle (not).

One significant difference I didn't add: in the TC, LDS population is something like 11%. I'm not going to look that up, so if it's actually 12%, consider me corrected; I think I'm close. In Boise, I think it is more like 35%. This definitely does have its impact on the culture and employment world, because the CJCLDS is pretty tribal and has its own employment agency. Boise is a superb place to start a small business, very much something locals are receptive to, and that's good because unless you're a Mormon, at least a fair percentage of jobs, you ain't getting. Not every LDS-owned business hires more for the Church than for the firm, but some do (and I used to work for one, long ago, so this isn't just fantasy speculation; worst place I ever worked). So it's a thing to think about. Likewise, some neighbors, once they find out you aren't LDS, won't talk to you any more. Not all, of course, not even close to all, but often enough it will touch your life in Boise.

Oh, and if you think that somehow they won't learn in the hiring process, be assured they will. How could they possibly know? If it weren't for cultural code words dropped in conversation (or not), it would be the résumé that does not list a mission, is definitely from an area outside the Jello Belt, and doesn't say thing one about church activities. I mean, if I want to signal my religion to a prospective employer, I don't have to wear a necklace. My Hobbies and Activities section can just include something about it.

Anyway, that's less common in the TC. I used to have my own business and a lot of my best clients were LDS, but I do not delude myself into thinking that they wouldn't have engaged the services of a Member if one had been available. There just wasn't one, so they had to make the best of it with a Gentile.
j.k.k.,

I've respected your posts for years. Some make me laugh harder than I've laughed for a while (traveling an hour to eat at the "restaurant experience" in Portland) - you are such a good friend to have done that once .

I'm uncertain of what to write. This post seems so different than the others I've read from you. And while I certainly could respond to some of what you wrote; I opt not to do so. My purpose in writing this is to simply say I hope you are okay, j.k.k.

MSR

Old 12-01-2016, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cahira101 View Post
My aunt lives in Richland so I've visited there before and liked it but I wasn't there for very long. As for Boise I've spent a bit of time there as well. Wasn't really able to get a feel for either as much as I would like. I've got years of experience in real estate now with the same company (worked through college with it), my real estate license in Arizona (so national portion covered, would just need a few classes in whatever state) and a college degree so I am hoping that helps with the job search.
So back to your question and what you've added, cahira, you sound more prepared than many to check out potential new locations. When can you visit the region and specifically spend time in each location? We all can tell you facts or our experiences, but this is your life. You need to move, if you can, to whatever city feels like home to you. You won't know until you spend time in each of them. I don't mean hours I mean days.

What is your general time frame until moving?

Also, from your current work are you able to network with real estate agents in both locations to learn what the job scene is? If not, do you get professional journals or an online site for those in real estate to search for positions or ask about each general location? Or maybe you just need to visit each city and talk to real estate companies in the area.

Do you know what you would have to do in WA and/or ID to obtain your license? IDK anything about real estate and get the right licenses and I'm positive it shows As long as you know that is all that matters.

Let us know when you plan to visit so we can answer questions you may have.

MSR

Old 12-01-2016, 12:45 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,241,848 times
Quote:

I see this post may have offended. I had a discussion yesterday with one of my staff (I'm working in the Middle East as a Consultant) who is British about Utah and the LDS. In my humble opinion, some of our best neighbors and friends have been LDS but I have heard for years and several sources that they tend to favor their 'team' in employment situations. I had an LDS boss for years and never felt like there was any discrimination related to the fact he was LDS and I wasn't. On the other hand, a couple of guys engaged in activities that he considered out of bounds or repulsive to his sensibilities (vulgar language and jokes, talking about getting drunk, sleeping with women)....he ostracized and eventually ran these guys off.

The truth as I see it is that LDS have a lot of young well-educated members and they tend to be hard working as well as often times entrepreneurial. Which is why Utah is experiencing a strong economy.

Having said the above, LDS and others will often favor their group when it comes to such matters as employment and opportunity...and the fact is, if it's not merit based, then the person and business making the decision will suffer the consequences.

Though I have a great deal of respect for the Mormon people, the fact that they have a moral code expectancy for the community at large, I think it is a factor whether pro or con about where someone might choose to locate.

Last edited by American Expat; 12-01-2016 at 12:57 AM..

Old 12-01-2016, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post
I see this post may have offended. I had a discussion yesterday with one of my staff (I'm working in the Middle East as a Consultant) who is British about Utah and the LDS.

Though I have a great deal of respect for the Mormon people, the fact that they have a moral code expectancy for the community at large, I think it is a factor whether pro or con about where someone might choose to locate.
American Expat,

I respect that you and j.k.k. may need to touch bases.

That being written, I couldn't disagree with your last sentence more. However, any further discussion of that would need to occur in an appropriate forum and thread.

I really think it is time to focus on what the OP asked and leave side issues as side issues.

MSR

Old 12-01-2016, 01:21 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,241,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
American Expat,

I respect that you and j.k.k. may need to touch bases.

That being written, I couldn't disagree with your last sentence more. However, any further discussion of that would need to occur in an appropriate forum and thread.

I really think it is time to focus on what the OP asked and leave side issues as side issues.

MSR
Agree that the subject got off base but anyone thinking about such a key matter of moving and living in a location should understand the elements that are basic to the area. The predominant religion or whether an area is predominantly atheist or agnostic is going to affect their decision and happiness in an area.

I tried to be as even handed and fair as possible talking about admittedly a sensitive subject that is nevertheless important to understand, I think you are sensitive on the subject for some reason.

Old 12-01-2016, 08:00 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,897,704 times
Quote:

Boise is only around 15%, the state of Idaho is 26%.

Old 12-01-2016, 08:04 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,897,704 times
Quote:
Well, for those to whom the precise distinction is of more importance than the general comparison and overall understanding of the differences, I guess you win that one. However, it's got its flaws. I wouldn't include all five of those counties in the Boise metropolitan area, no way. And the stated methodology for the TC causes it to include Prosser (not sure how far west of that the Benton County line goes) and Connell (which is really a stretch) but to exclude Burbank, which is in WW County.

Well, Gem, Boise, and Owyhee Counties only count for a fraction of the population in the metro, most of the population is in Ada and Canyon Counties.

The U.S. Office of Management and Budget sure deems it ok to include the other three counties in the Metro area.

The Combined Statistical Area is:

756,061 (2015) Boise City-Mountain Home-Ontario, ID-OR CSA

https://www.census.gov/popest/data/m...015/index.html

Old 12-01-2016, 08:10 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,456,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
j.k.k.,

I've respected your posts for years. Some make me laugh harder than I've laughed for a while (traveling an hour to eat at the "restaurant experience" in Portland) - you are such a good friend to have done that once .

I'm uncertain of what to write. This post seems so different than the others I've read from you. And while I certainly could respond to some of what you wrote; I opt not to do so. My purpose in writing this is to simply say I hope you are okay, j.k.k.

MSR
Thanks for the thoughts. In my post, I was just being realistic for someone who might not be familiar with a reality that I have lived. I have LDS relatives and dear friends. I have found them to be surprisingly frank about the Church's foibles; the bizarre notion held in some quarters (mostly that know no Mormons) that all LDS people march in Churchly lockstep is not reality. (And I bet most local bishops would respond to it with wry humor, like: "I have four or five people I wish you'd tell that to, so maybe they'd stop being such pains in my neck.") I'm usually the one sticking up for LDS people in regard to dumb statements by ignorant Easterners who know no more about Mormon culture than I do about New Jersey. But I have observed, and experienced, and in some cases been disadvantaged by the tribalism.

No offense was meant, simply candor. Do I love visiting Utah? Yes. Could I live there? No, sadly, not even in SLC which is quite cosmopolitan; too many opportunities likely to be off the board. That's just truth, however difficult to accept. If you want to see much more brutal frankness, you should see when I call out my own religious tribe's foibles, which in some cases truly offend me (and I consider that I have a greater duty to speak up; we each clean up our own house).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Tri-Cities