Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Tri-Cities
 [Register]
Tri-Cities Kennewick - Pasco - Richland area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 12:16 AM

31 posts, read 28,507 times

Advertisements

I'm about ten days from the big move and my car registration needs to be re-done by the end of August. I am mildly concerned about passing certain safety inspections but a new car is out of the question.

Am wondering if you all think it would be best for me to just get it over with in before I move, thus keeping my Utah plates for another year? I'm terribly sentimental like that. Unless that will serve as some sort of beacon for the local cops, making me more prone to being pulled over. Thoughts?

My car is a 1991 Buick Century— is the option to have it registered as "classic" car (thus removing the need to pass certain safety inspections) a thing, up there?

Also, while I'm here, how soon do new Washingtonians have to check in with the Drivers License Division and get a new license? (I know it's probably just a Google search away but figured it doesn't hurt to ask a local.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2017, 01:21 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
In general you don't have safety inspections in WA. Anymore you have to have classic car insurance to get a collector plate, the good news is that most plates/tabs are about $50. I would guess Utah plates are not much cheaper. In the Tri-City area, no SMOG either. That said, if your brakes or other safety related systems are dodgy, get them tended to before you make the drive, you will probably see some pretty good hills.

You need to get WA plates, a WA title for the car, and a WA driver's license within a few weeks of coming up here.

If you can't get the move done in the next 6 weeks, you can probably get a Utah trip permit for the drive up here rather than renew the Utah plates.

Old 07-13-2017, 05:36 PM

I'll be towing the car behind the moving truck, thank goodness. Not sure it would make the journey. It's a great car but not 600 miles in the heat of summer great.

Seeking clarification: are you saying even once I've passed my safety inspection in Utah and had everything renewed, I'll have to redo it all in Washington anyway, before August of 2018? I was gonna try and deal with it before I left so I had one less thing on my list, but I don't want to needlessly pay for things twice.

Last edited by seedavyrun; 07-13-2017 at 05:39 PM.. Reason: Edited for clarification.

Old 07-13-2017, 06:06 PM

No, I'm saying there is no safety inspection in WA. Yes, if you bought a new Utah tag, according to Hoyle, you need to replace it in a few weeks after arriving in WA. You could, if stopped, say you are just visiting, but, as I noted, your current tag is good for 6 more weeks, if that's not enough time to get your move done, you can just get a Utah trip permit for the few days you are towing the car. Getting a WA tag soon after you get here should not cost any more than a Utah tag, maybe less.

What's wrong with the car, or are you just worried because it's "so old" that it would have issues on a 600 mile trip? That vintage Century is a pretty solid car, my sister has one, a 92, and has had it since new with very little repair needed. Mostly just gas, tires, and oil.

Old 07-13-2017, 08:13 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
WA law exempts classics from smog tests, and has set classic at 25 years old, so you just made it. No inspections of any kind, though a cop can always pull you over for anything noticed like excessive smoke, twilights out etc. as on any car.

Old 07-14-2017, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
No, I'm saying there is no safety inspection in WA. Yes, if you bought a new Utah tag, according to Hoyle, you need to replace it in a few weeks after arriving in WA. You could, if stopped, say you are just visiting, but, as I noted, your current tag is good for 6 more weeks, if that's not enough time to get your move done, you can just get a Utah trip permit for the few days you are towing the car. Getting a WA tag soon after you get here should not cost any more than a Utah tag, maybe less.

What's wrong with the car, or are you just worried because it's "so old" that it would have issues on a 600 mile trip? That vintage Century is a pretty solid car, my sister has one, a 92, and has had it since new with very little repair needed. Mostly just gas, tires, and oil.

Who is this Hoyle bloke? I'm grateful to the both of you for the info!
Am hoping to get the entire move over and done with on the 23rd so hopefully I won't need a trip permit (though am glad to know of it).

My family have been the sole owners of this car (grandpa bought it brand new, dad inherited it, and I bought it from him a few years back) and it's a wonderful machine. Lately, though, the seals are wearing down and oil is getting everywhere. This means that as the engine/weather heats up, a little smoke will drift from under the hood (no matter how often I wipe it clean or rinse it with "engine cleaner"). I'm good at maintaining all her fluids— check everything weekly and take it in for regular tuneups— but every time I've taken it in to troubleshoot something, the local guys will (essentially) tell me this is par for the course for cars this age, and to fix things would cost more than it's worth. So I plug along, loving my car but aware that this thing has a terminal illness.

Also noteworthy: the onboard computer system is starting to fail (unclearable warning lights, etc) but I'm less worried about that as long as it can still get up to speed, etc.

Old 07-14-2017, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
WA law exempts classics from smog tests, and has set classic at 25 years old, so you just made it. No inspections of any kind, though a cop can always pull you over for anything noticed like excessive smoke, twilights out etc. as on any car.
But it seems I need to pick up some special plates to qualify for this perk, yes?

Old 07-14-2017, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedavyrun View Post
But it seems I need to pick up some special plates to qualify for this perk, yes?
No, you probably can't get a collector insurance policy for this car, which is more of a beater than a classic. So you won't be getting a collector plate. However, if your car is 25 years old, no SMOG for you, regardless of plates. State wide.

In the Tri-City area, you don't need to SMOG any car, period.

Hoyle is the guy who wrote a book of rules for card games. So "According to Hoyle" means "by the book".

I frequently drive an 82 Scirocco, it does not leak and burn oil, with proper maintenance a 91 car is not that "old" in terms of failing. Offhand maybe you should try some Castrol or other brand high-mile oil, this stuff has seal swell additives that *can* in some circumstances reduce leakage.

Probably you have leaking valve cover gaskets. If you move to Tri, one garage I can recommend is Cronk's, over near Fred Myer's, on Wellsian Way in Richland. Honest and good craftsmanship, good prices, but he stays busy enough that he usually can't get to your car right away.

Old 07-14-2017, 11:54 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,720 posts, read 58,054,000 times
There are some significant restrictions to WA 'Collector" plates. (Distance from home, minimal driving (parades), no hauling of cargo...) but significant benefits... once / lifetime registration, CHEAP, low hassle, but follow the rules.

Old 07-16-2017, 10:35 AM

I'm still learning message board ettiquette. It feels weird to bump this to the top of the list for something so redundant as a "Thanks, gang!" but I feel rude not acknowledging my gratitude for the useful information you all provided.

So thanks! (Any tips on how to approach this in the future are also appreciated.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Tri-Cities