Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Tri-Cities
 [Register]
Tri-Cities Kennewick - Pasco - Richland area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2008, 02:30 PM

1,093 posts, read 3,415,673 times

Advertisements

Almost daily I go out for one reason or another, and it never fails, a person that seems to be pre-occupied is driving and either not signaling when turning on a secondary road, or weaving in my lane, or hesitates when taking off from a red light...What's up with all the Bad drivers...All I can say, is be very observant when driving in Tricities..be it Richland, Kennewick or yea also Pasco....some are very elderly, some using cell phone or putting makeup on their face.....just drive properly or get off the flippen road.....you are not just possibly hurting yourself but others in your path....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2008, 02:51 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,007,350 times
It's not just in the Tri-Cities, vette-dude. It's everywhere that has a relatively sizable population.

In ust about every major city's forum on our board, you'll find at least one thread complaining about how bad drivers are in that particular city.

With that said, I agree with you 100%!

Old 04-25-2008, 05:00 PM

17,137 posts, read 56,822,473 times
I think it's worse now than a few years ago, could offer a guess it's out of towners (is that a euphanism for Californians?) Washington natives are very good (maybe TOO good) at stopping to let a pedestrian across a cross-walk, and out in the country, when passing, will stay in the left lane till they are well out ahead of you so as not to fling a rock at your windshield.

For some reason I seem to see a lot of badly dented relatively late-model cars running around town, sometimes see the same one for some time so apparently they won't be fixing it, are these people who saw snow here for the first time?

Old 04-26-2008, 02:32 PM

1,552 posts, read 6,452,061 times
well as I am currently in the tri-cities and have been here for a couple of weeks. I am amazed at the drivers the other day coming over the blue bridge into pasco I almost ran over someone while merging into the flow of traffic. Its like they think they can talk on phone and merge at 40mph.
Last week I made a run over the pass and up the 405 and over to Mount Lake Terrace in rush hour traffic. Those folks know how to drive and keep things flowing along.
I could say I recall back in the early mid 60's we had no such traffic problems, but we also had a lot less people in town.

Old 04-27-2008, 09:41 AM

5,595 posts, read 19,007,350 times
No such things as cell phones back then, either.

(difficult to believe that we survived without those phones back then.)

Old 04-28-2008, 10:06 AM

25 posts, read 139,334 times
Just for perspective, and I totally agree with the observations that drivers tend to pay way less attention to their driving than they do to their phones, excessively loud stereos, makeup, and on and on (everything but driving skills): I was just visiting your neck of the woods and was impressed at how GOOD the drivers were, as compared to where I live. I couldn't believe that they were obeying the speed limits on I-5, were stopping for pedestrians, and were generally courteous. It's almost enough to make me relocate there (yeah, I know: "one more out of towner to add to the congestion").

I live in Colorado, and I can attest that the drivers here are arguably the worst in the country, with the possible exceptions of Dallas-Ft. Worth and Indiana. I-70 is a racetrack, and one hardly ever sees the State Patrol out in force. 10-15 MPH over the limit is the norm through the mountains and along I-25 in the Front Range. Passing on the right (even when the left lane is available), weaving in and out, 4WD as an excuse to go like mad in the snow. If the latter didn't take out, maim, and kill innocents, it'd be worth it, in a Darwinian kind of way; but as it is, the menacing is out of control.

Granted, I've not spent years of driving in WA, but I was impressed at how civilized it was compared to the insanity in CO. I'd think that perhaps I just hit a good day, but I was there for a week. Even with the insane volume on I-5, drivers were more sensible than back here!

Old 07-24-2008, 08:22 PM

8 posts, read 35,362 times
Default Californians

I just have to put this out there:

I grew up in Orange County-learned how to drive there BUT WAS BORN in Portland, OR. And I too get a little ticked at the drivers here, heck all over the West Coast. I know "city" life can be a little faster, but NOT all

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
could offer a guess it's out of towners (is that a euphanism for Californians?) Washington natives are very good (maybe TOO good) at stopping to let a pedestrian across a cross-walk, and out in the country, when passing, will stay in the left lane till they are well out ahead of you so as not to fling a rock at your windshield.

For some reason I seem to see a lot of badly dented relatively late-model cars running around town, sometimes see the same one for some time so apparently they won't be fixing it, are these people who saw snow here for the first time?

I have seen snow-it's just we have the money to actually take time off work and go on vacation to the mountains to see it. And people do live there-near it.

Now I dont want to get stoned for putting in my 2 cents, but US CALIFORNIANS get a little tired of bad driving getting blamed on us. I do have the talent of driving at 80MPH and not getting into a wreck. I have never been in a car accident! NOTE: I've had my license for over 15 years.

So lets not put a title on it such as "CALIFORNIANS" because not all POEPLE can drive weather they're from here or California.

Old 07-24-2008, 11:29 PM

371 posts, read 1,757,230 times
Why do Californians get blamed for everything? A little extreme don’t you think? I have noticed a few lousy drivers, but nothing worth mentioning in my opinion. Things could be a lot worse.

Old 07-27-2008, 10:02 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,413,366 times
I've speculated a lot on why Tri-Citians make such oblivious drivers. The deadliest place in town is any large parking lot, because they just aren't looking. To turn right out of the parking lot into the street, their method is to just physically block the rightmost lane by having their nose too far forward. They either drive ten over or ten under. They think a 4-WAY STOP sign means 'if other people stop, I don't have to.' I think it's a consequence of living out in the desert. Space is not at a premium here. Would anyone like another hundred acres of desolate sagebrush and sand? Someone won't charge you too much for that. Can we interest you in two hundred? And so on. They are so used to living without space constraints in general that they just don't seriously consider that anyone else might be trying to get someplace on the road. There's no malice in it--they just aren't accustomed to thinking in terms of crowds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Tri-Cities