U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Tri-Cities
 [Register]
Tri-Cities Kennewick - Pasco - Richland area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 10:47 AM

4,291 posts, read 6,544,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterflyUK View Post
Yeah, I have done that a million times, but there really isnt any great photos of what the Tri-cities is really like. Pictures of the river. Pictures of the bridges. Pictures of a sign, or a building, or a team. But nothing that shows the real Tri-cities.
That is probably because on the ground the Tri-Cities look very much like most any other place in the West, with plenty of strip malls and dull arterials and not many people walking. Richland is a little different because its older housing has a very government/prefab appearance due to the rapid construction of what are called 'letter houses' during and after WWII (each house design was assigned a letter; lifetime Richlanders know many of them by sight and probably have lived in one). Also, it is full of duplexes and quadruplexes from that era. One good place to read about the region, though it offers no photos, is the CRHEST museum website: CREHST - Columbia River Exhibition of History, Science, & Technology.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 01:37 PM

62 posts, read 136,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcres View Post
Let me know what specific neighborhoods/areas/etc. you would like to see pictures of and I will try and snap some pictures as I drive around. I'm sure others may be able to help you as well.
Those are beautiful pictures above... If someone could provide a bit of balance by posting photos of the middle class neighborhoods or some of the less developed (rural) areas, that would be very helpful.

Thanks!

Old 08-12-2008, 08:22 AM

309 posts, read 654,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
That is probably because on the ground the Tri-Cities look very much like most any other place in the West, with plenty of strip malls and dull arterials and not many people walking. Richland is a little different because its older housing has a very government/prefab appearance due to the rapid construction of what are called 'letter houses' during and after WWII (each house design was assigned a letter; lifetime Richlanders know many of them by sight and probably have lived in one). Also, it is full of duplexes and quadruplexes from that era. One good place to read about the region, though it offers no photos, is the CRHEST museum website: CREHST - Columbia River Exhibition of History, Science, & Technology.
My husband is Britsh. Strip malls excite him. New buildings excite him. He is trying to get the feel for the place. He thinks it will be way to small and not much there. Now he is leaning at moving to Texas. Quite a difference I would say.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterflyUK View Post
My husband is Britsh. Strip malls excite him. New buildings excite him. He is trying to get the feel for the place. He thinks it will be way to small and not much there. Now he is leaning at moving to Texas. Quite a difference I would say.
Quite a difference, indeed. I really don't know what to say to that because there really is no comparison between TC and Texas except perhaps for climate part of the year (hot, dusty, windy). Culturally they could not be farther apart. Texas leans toward the demonstrative, we do not. In Texas if you are not Christian you're going to hear about it; here you would not. Texas has a tremendous gap between rich and poor; ours much less so. Texas has a history; our history is a nuclear weapon. Texas has oil; we have dams and a nuclear power plant. Texas has tornadoes and hurricanes; we do not. Texas is macho; we are not. In Texas patriotism is obligatory and expected; here its lack will receive askance looks, but that's all. The problem, of course, being comparing one small region to one very large state. Texas is also vastly diverse, far more so in every way than we are. It could hardly help it. I am sure you can also find spots in Texas that will disprove any Texas stereotype. Whether you can find any one spot that disproves them all at once, that's another question.

I have a mental concept of what my price is to live in certain places. For example, I would accept less money to live in Kansas or Nebraska, because I'm from Kansas and I like it. Say I'd take $60K to live there. My price tag to live in Missouri, by contrast, is double that--offer me about $120K per year and I'll think about it. For Florida, D.C., NYC or southern California, the cost rises to $500K per year; any less than that and there's no discussion. My Texas price would be about $150K, enough to sock away some very serious retirement income.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:56 AM

1,921 posts, read 819,676 times
Being from Western Washington, I thought the photos were good, but the town looked ugly, flat and barren. kind of looed like the front range of Colorado except there were no mountains to the west as in Colorado.

Old 08-12-2008, 05:19 PM

150 posts, read 440,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sberdrow View Post
Being from Western Washington, I thought the photos were good, but the town looked ugly, flat and barren. kind of looed like the front range of Colorado except there were no mountains to the west as in Colorado.
The cities are rather flat at the moment. Our tallest buildings are in the 5-7 story range. We are only now starting to build up.

Not only that but I took these photos from the highest accessible point in the area. So I am looking down on everything and facing away from the hills/mountains. If I was on the other side of town (north, looking south) then the view would be quite different.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:41 AM

37 posts, read 196,120 times
Go to Tri-Cities Visitor and Convention Bureau - Tri-Cities Visitor and Convention Bureau there are pictures of some different things there. Also you can request a packet of information to be sent to you...I did this and got sent information on a lot of the neighboorhoods, what there is to do with pics, etc. That is interesting that he would want to move to Texas? The 2 are so different other than the cost of living probably being similar or lower depedning on what area in Texas. Everything is new in our area (S. Richland) but coming from a larger city I would say no, there is not much here. You can tell that it is growing though and Portland and Seattle are both only 3 hours away. Could you come visit before you decide to move here?

Old 08-14-2008, 11:38 AM

I think I have the solution to the 'ordinary photos' issue.

When our local news channels report (usually with a bumbling quality that keeps my wife and I laughing), they take photos and video of the event location, and those are available on their websites:

KEPR CBS 19 - News, Weather and Sports - Pasco, WA - Pasco, Washington

KVEWTV.com

KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA | Home

MyFoxTri-Cities | Fox 11 Tri-Cities & Pendleton KFFX (http://www.myfoxtricities.com/myfox/ - broken link)

Same for the local newspaper:

Front | Tri-City Herald : Mid-Columbia news

I'm guessing that you can find as many mundane images of the region as you want through these sources.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Tri-Cities