Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Tri-Cities
 [Register]
Tri-Cities Kennewick - Pasco - Richland area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 10:57 PM

615 posts, read 1,171,950 times

Advertisements

What area's have low crime, good schools, and definitely growing with ample jobs? How is the weather year around there? Is there any big airports around the area? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2007, 11:42 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,046,095 times
My choice would be Richland.

Ample jobs? I don't know. Somebody who's living there now can give you better information on that than I can.

Big Airports? Hopefully Embraer sees your post and can obviously answer better than I can. I guess it depends on what you consider big.

Tri Cities Regional Airport just outside of Pasco is the local airport. I'm sure it still has just local flights flying in and out.

There's YKM (Yakima), I think it's considered an international airport but mostly just local flights, I believe.

There is a physically big airport at Grant County in Moses Lake but I'm wondering how many major flights are going in and out of there. Believe me, it's a huge airport. I think I heard that it's physically one of the largest in the country. It has four or five huge runways. It's well known because it is one of the alternate landing sites for the NASA space shuttle, or it used to be anyway. It was also a training site for JAL and was used extensively for training when the the 747 was first introduced. Boeing frequently uses it for testing and training. It is also on the former land of the infamous Larson AFB.

Probably for major flights, you'd be using Spokane or SeaTac.

Weather? It can get hot in the summer with temperature sometimes exceeding 100 degrees. It can also get bitterly cold in the winter with temps approaching zero at times. It doesn't get a lot of snow but the snow it does get is dry and easy to drive on. One winter when I lived there, there was snow on the ground almost all winter long. That's unusual though.

Thanks, more later.

--'rocco

Last edited by scirocco22; 08-29-2007 at 12:21 AM..

Old 04-11-2007, 11:13 AM

14 posts, read 86,286 times
Thumbs up South Richland, for sure

Definitely great schools. Newest one is called White Bluffs w/state of the art facilities. Secondly, Badger El. Wiley is good, but W. Richland has started having some troubles w/gang related issues.
Lowest crime is here, too. My husband is in law enforcement and he insisted on this area based on all his buddies advice.
Also close to Kennewick area that is bursting at the seams. Can't keep up w/the growth there is so much.
I have lived here for 4 years and still feel as though I am on a vacation. It is paradise and our whole family loves it. The weather is beyond wonderful, coming from rainy Oympia, that is. Lots of recreational things to do and kids sports are HUGE here. Very community based and family friendly.
We are here to stay for sure.
Good luck!

Old 04-12-2007, 11:26 PM

Thank you for the good information. I've been to Yakima a few times, is that considered the Tri-Cities area? I did not care for Yakima. Does Richland or Kennewick look like Yakima or Boise, ID? My wife would be seeking employment in finance, as for me i work from home. How is the traffic? My two son's are 3 years old and 3 months old, so it would be nice to live a good school district. Are ther homes in the 300k price range in a decent area for a family or should i be looking in the 400k range for better schools and area overall? Is there a military base in the area, just use for shopping purposes. I heard there are marmots in the Tri-Cities? They are fun to watch and also cute. Is there any builders that i should stay away from? How far is it from Tacoma. That is where i live for now. Rain-rain...........................

Old 04-13-2007, 12:27 PM

Triselmore,
How do you feel as you are on vacation in the Tri-Cites?
It's the desert with not much greeny. I heard there is a
big latin population around 70%. Are they mostly in the Pasco
area or in Kennewick and Richland also. Thank you.

Old 04-13-2007, 12:47 PM

Houstonjames7 thasnks for the detailed info...
Could you please send me some pics of the Tri-cites.
kevmar100@hotmail.com...
I am looking for a really good elementary school for my two sons.
Thank you.

Old 04-15-2007, 08:44 PM

1,341 posts, read 4,906,658 times
I spent my younger years in Kennewick..went to Desert Hills Middle school and was going to go to Kamiakan high...before we moved to california (1984)..At that time it was no joke when I say we used to play with the neighbors, take our bikes to Columbia Center Mall and wait for yearly fair..I am SURE things have changed in 23 years ....LOL..but I still remember up till 8th grade it was a great place to live and in the more desirable areas of Tri-cities...Pasco was out.

Richland..I dont remember the area..but my father used to work for the hanford (sp) power plant..and we had friends in that area as well.

Old 04-15-2007, 09:59 PM

I grew up in Northern California and experienced the same growing up mom2gurls. Played with neighbors everyday and played ball together at the school without any parents in site. We even rode our bikes to the mall and be gone for 5-6 hours at a time. Those good old days are long gone in most places. I am also looking into Spokane area to relocate.

Old 04-16-2007, 09:17 AM

It was a great time....again...I am sure that kennewick has changed..and who knows, maybe the street that I lived on is ghetto now..but back in "its hayday"...it was awesome...honestly, there were no cell phones...I got some change to call mom from the mall when I got there..I remember the biggest thing that opened up was a water park....and I remember going to clearwater cinemas (?) is that even still there.

We would eat at a restaurant called "Carlos Willys"....go skiing at blue ridge (sp?) and go to the snake river in the summer...and dont forget vancouver trips!!!

Wow, you are brining back some awesome memories!

Old 04-16-2007, 09:23 AM

BTW I went to sunset view elementry..it was brand new at the time..circa 1983?--but it was an awesome elementry...!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Tri-Cities