U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Tri-Cities
 [Register]
Tri-Cities Kennewick - Pasco - Richland area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 02:52 PM

45 posts, read 108,753 times

Advertisements

I have looked lots of places and can't seem to find out about utilities and tv services. If you know any of this it would be too kewl!

Here are some questions:

1) What cell phone service do most people use in Tri-Cities?
We currently use Alltel which is being bought by Verizon.

2) What TV services are available and what is the name of the company(cable, dish, etc.)
We currently have Dish and use Cableone for our HSI.

3) What is the name of the natural gas company?
4) What is the name of the electric company?
5) What home phone service is in Tri-Cities?
I'm assuming it is Qwest.
6) What garbage services?

Thanks for your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 03:02 PM

8,827 posts, read 23,275,578 times
Different utilities in different cities. I know Richland has their own power grid. Verizon is here for cell phones, you can get dish or cable TV if you want it in all 4 of the "tri-cities".

I think each town has it's own garbage service.

We live out in the country west of Prosser so I don't know the details of in-town utilities.

I think you will find the electric rates pretty reasonable here.

I don't know if you can get natural gas in every part of the Tri-City area or not.

Old 06-10-2009, 03:03 PM

4,358 posts, read 6,991,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajagirl View Post
I have looked lots of places and can't seem to find out about utilities and tv services. If you know any of this it would be too kewl!

Here are some questions:

1) What cell phone service do most people use in Tri-Cities?
We currently suck with Sprint.

2) What TV services are available and what is the name of the company(cable, dish, etc.)
We have DefectTV.

3) What is the name of the natural gas company?
Cascade Natural Gas.

4) What is the name of the electric company?
Benton PUD.

5) What home phone service is in Tri-Cities?
In Kennewick, it's Verizon.

6) What garbage services?
Wasteful Management.
Hope that helps.

Old 06-10-2009, 06:29 PM

Thanks for the info

Old 06-10-2009, 09:27 PM

150 posts, read 458,649 times
Cable: Charter HSI up to 20mbps/2mbps
Electric: Benton PUD (Kennewick, Franklin PUD (Pasco) and the city of Richland.
Phone: Verizon (Kennewick) Qwest (Pasco)
Garbage: WM (Kennewick), BDI (Pasco) and the city of Richland.
Gas: Cascade Natural Gas
Cell: ATT, Verizon are both good here. Sprint... not so much.

As you can see these things vary from city to city.

Old 06-11-2009, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcres View Post
Cable: Charter HSI up to 20mbps/2mbps
Electric: Benton PUD (Kennewick, Franklin PUD (Pasco) and the city of Richland.
Phone: Verizon (Kennewick) Qwest (Pasco)
Garbage: WM (Kennewick), BDI (Pasco) and the city of Richland.
Gas: Cascade Natural Gas
Cell: ATT, Verizon are both good here. Sprint... not so much.

As you can see these things vary from city to city.
You have been more than helpful. Thank you very much - this is exactly what I needed - who to call and my choices. You're tops in my book!

Old 06-11-2009, 02:26 PM

Actually for cell service I suggest you talk to the guys at "Cellular 911" in Kennewick when you get here, they can fix you up with a no-contract provider like Consumer's Cellular, and/or an unlocked, used phone. If you are into that sort of thing. There is also Boost Cellular, advertising a no-contract service.

Jazz 101 is an unexpected good point to this place. The NPR affilliate is good IMHO.

Don't forget that West Richland, Finley, even Benton City are out there as alternative places to live, assuming you are working somewhere in/near Tri-Cities. IIRC you are going to work at Hanford - realize there is a pretty big "herd migration" of cars from Pasco and Kennewick that passes through/by Richland at the beginning and end of day shift, I personally would not consider either of them just because of the traffic slowdowns on the bypass and on G Way. It's not like Seattle but IMHO it's an annoyance you might as well avoid.

You guys planning to buy or rent?

Old 06-11-2009, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Actually for cell service I suggest you talk to the guys at "Cellular 911" in Kennewick when you get here, they can fix you up with a no-contract provider like Consumer's Cellular, and/or an unlocked, used phone. If you are into that sort of thing. There is also Boost Cellular, advertising a no-contract service.

Jazz 101 is an unexpected good point to this place. The NPR affilliate is good IMHO.

Don't forget that West Richland, Finley, even Benton City are out there as alternative places to live, assuming you are working somewhere in/near Tri-Cities. IIRC you are going to work at Hanford - realize there is a pretty big "herd migration" of cars from Pasco and Kennewick that passes through/by Richland at the beginning and end of day shift, I personally would not consider either of them just because of the traffic slowdowns on the bypass and on G Way. It's not like Seattle but IMHO it's an annoyance you might as well avoid.

You guys planning to buy or rent?
Hi Mitch - actually it is so difficult to find a place to rent that we will take any area we can find. We found a house listed with Crown Property Management and they have never returned our calls. It was listed yesterday and we called and sent 2 e-mails but no one has called back. We are getting a little frustrated - seems if someone has a place for rent it would be nice to answer your phone or voice mail. I guess the right house will be ours when it is time.

So that Jazz 101 is new? I sure like it...perfect background music for doing anything!

We are going to rent until we get to know the place and find the perfect house for our needs. We have lots of toys - a trailer, four boats, 4 wheelers and snowmobiles - snowmobiles that we will trade for jet skis

Thanks for the info on the cell phone service. We have Alltel and they were bought by Verizon so we will probably do that since it is good there.

Have a great day in SE Washington!

Old 06-11-2009, 07:44 PM

People do ride snowmobiles around here but usually haul them up into the mountains in their trucks.

You may do better to sell the sleds there, Pokie gets a lot more snow on a consistent basis than around here.

At one time I lived in Idiot Flats, so I know the area. Really here is a lot like it but less severe winter and less altitude.

Another point, you may have re-jetted the carbs in your sleds for high altitude, they will need to be returned to stock here, you don't want to run a 2-stroke on too lean a mixture, which would be where you would be going with that.

I have driven from IF to here in one day, it's a pretty full day of driving but do-able.

Maybe a house-hunting trip is in order.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:53 PM

People do ride snowmobiles around here but usually haul them up into the mountains in their trucks.

We have a trailer we would haul them up in.

You may do better to sell the sleds there, Pokie gets a lot more snow on a consistent basis than around here.

You are probably right, why take them all the way up there and then not be able to sell them because there is not as much snow and it really isn't snowmobile country.

At one time I lived in Idiot Flats, so I know the area. Really here is a lot like it but less severe winter and less altitude.

That's funny, I call it Idiot Flats too...I just don't like it here, for a "majority" of reasons, one, I'm not LDS so don't fit in well.

Another point, you may have re-jetted the carbs in your sleds for high altitude, they will need to be returned to stock here, you don't want to run a 2-stroke on too lean a mixture, which would be where you would be going with that.

I have driven from IF to here in one day, it's a pretty full day of driving but do-able.

When I came home from TC last week, I too did it in one day. It is definitely a full day of driving, but it wasn't bad - 8-9 hours.

Maybe a house-hunting trip is in order.

I will be there this Sunday! We plan a "one day" ride then. Plan on staying a couple of days to house hunt and check out my new job.

Thanks for the advice M3 Mitch
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Tri-Cities