U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Tri-Cities
 [Register]
Tri-Cities Kennewick - Pasco - Richland area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 11:09 AM

95 posts, read 266,238 times

Advertisements

I see that the weather forecast calls for possible snow next week in Spokane. I need to make a trip from Pasco to Spokane and was wondwering what the road was like. Looks like I take the 395 all the way. Any trouble spots along the way- hills, etc.? Doesn't look like it on the maps I can see. If there is snow, is the road maintained pretty well? Is the 395 4 lanes all the way or is it just for a little ways out of Pasco?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2009, 11:22 AM

278 posts, read 680,191 times
I made that trip a few times around christmas last year when Spokane and Tricities had some bad weather and it wasn't bad. It's a major highway all the way, no mountain passes or anything really to worry about. The road was a little slick once you got on 90 but it was nothing that going a little slower wouldn't solve. Once you get to Spokane, 395 turns in to a regular city street, which can be a little sloppy at times in the winter.

Before you head out, check out this web page (WSDOT - Statewide Traveler Information) with lots of live traffic cameras around the state, it'll give you a good idea of the current raod conditions where you'll be.

Old 12-10-2009, 11:22 AM

4,355 posts, read 6,983,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neal93 View Post
I see that the weather forecast calls for possible snow next week in Spokane. I need to make a trip from Pasco to Spokane and was wondwering what the road was like. Looks like I take the 395 all the way. Any trouble spots along the way- hills, etc.? Doesn't look like it on the maps I can see. If there is snow, is the road maintained pretty well? Is the 395 4 lanes all the way or is it just for a little ways out of Pasco?
It's at least four lanes all the way. There's a black hole of some cell services around Ritzville. While they usually do an okay job of clearing the road, if it snows you'll want to be smart. Spokane has a different climate than TC--generally colder and with more precipitation.

Old 12-10-2009, 11:44 AM

95 posts, read 266,238 times
If I have a rear-wheel drive car with studded tires should I be ok if it's not too bad? I'm new to the area and haven't driven around too much. Chains shouldn't be needed?

Old 12-10-2009, 12:02 PM

4,355 posts, read 6,983,420 times
Quote:
If I have a rear-wheel drive car with studded tires should I be ok if it's not too bad? I'm new to the area and haven't driven around too much. Chains shouldn't be needed?
If you have studs on all four, you should be fine. However, even then, be smart. Studs aren't the solution to all traction problems, just many of them.

Old 12-10-2009, 12:04 PM

278 posts, read 680,191 times
Quote:
When I made the trip last year I had rear wheel drive, all weather tires and did just fine. I don't even know if chains were allowed.

I wouldn't keep studded snow tires on your car if you'll be spending most of your time in Tri-cities. Based on my one winter here I'd say it's way too dry, you'll wear the studs down pretty quickly. Good all weather is all I needed, although decent non-studded snow tires wouldn't have hurt.

Old 12-11-2009, 05:45 PM

82 posts, read 201,208 times
Default Watch out for fog

Around Moses Lake coming into Pasco, you can hit thick fog so just pay attention and watch the speed if necessary. Especially if its conditions that would make for freezing fog.

Old 12-11-2009, 06:20 PM

8,825 posts, read 23,242,151 times
Just to point out an alternative, you could take Amtrack up and come back on a bus (technically you could come home on Amtrack but you would have to board the train at like 0200 am).

I have taken Greyhound to Seattle and it was OK. There were some people on the bus that I didn't want to cuddle up to, sure, but I left them alone and they reciprocated the favor.

I don't much like to take this trip in snow, the traffic on I-90 near Spokane can get heavy enough to make me nervous. One nut-job, I can usually out-manuver. Two, it's harder, but I can usually do it. But when you have at least 5 rigs close enough to run into you, well, you have to be better than I am to consistently dodge them all.

Old 12-12-2009, 12:04 AM

3,973 posts, read 7,348,650 times
395 is almost an Interstate-standard freeway from Tri-Cities to I-90. Some maps have not kept up with this, and still show it as a "highway" as opposed to "freeway". While it is technically not an Interstate, it basically has all the characteristics of an Interstate freeway. Few elevation changes, two lanes in each direction, usually good driving conditions most of the year. Warning: speed trap when I lived in the area in the 90's, not sure about today.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:29 AM

155 posts, read 330,887 times
It can get ugly around the rest stop at Sprague Lake and pretty much from there to Spokane. Lot of idiots who think just because they have 4w drive, they don't need snow tires; they are usually the guys in the ditch. Just be careful cause of the yahoos who don't know how to drive even in the good weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Tri-Cities