U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-12-2010, 09:23 AM
 
25,627 posts, read 32,618,431 times
Reputation: 23165

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillager View Post
My dad worked with Martin Appel who killed 3 people during a bank robbery.

Twenty years later, bank slayings haunt Valley - mcall.com

I was 7 years old and I remember the day after it happened detectives came to our house to interview my dad about what he knew (which was nothing of importance).

Thats the closest I ever came to having personal contact with any mass murderers.
Good thing the guy didn't go "postal" at work.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-12-2010, 09:29 AM
 
25,627 posts, read 32,618,431 times
Reputation: 23165
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I've never had what you would call "personal contact". Thank goodness.

I did have the horrible experience of seeing the body of one of Randy Kraft's victims. The victim, God rest his soul, had been dumped alongside a freeway on-ramp in Orange County, CA and we passed by, quiet by chance, minutes after the police got there. Truly awful. Kraft is on Death Row which is exactly where he should be.

I also knew two victims of the mass killings at Cal State Fullerton in 1976. One was an extremely popular professor who had spoken at commencement just a few weeks before. Another horrible, horrible event.
I was thinking of starting a thread about people you knew who were victims of serial killers or mass murderers. The thought just creeped me out too much to start the thread. Again it still amazes me how we live side by side in our everyday lives with these monsters and their actions.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2010, 11:24 AM
 
Location: Not where I want to be
24,368 posts, read 21,172,292 times
Reputation: 23764
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
Back in the 80's in southern Calif, waiting for a bus one day, a guy offered to give me a ride to where I was going instead. I didn't get any bad vibes from him, he seemed nice enough. The car was a convertible. All open....So i agreed. We got closer to where I lived, about a mile from my apt, and I suggested we stop at the store so I could pick up some groceries and some cat food. So I got out and went in the store, but he didn't come in. I met up with my sister in law by chance, inside the store and told her the guy gave me a ride and he was waiting outside. She talked me out of going back with him. Then I started getting worried because she was so worried. So I stayed in the store with her, we both waited until he finally gave up and left. But just as we were starting to come out, he came back around, circling the parking lot really slow, following another young lady. So my sis in law told store security about it, he went out and the guy took off squealing his tires.

Not long ago while watching an episode of True Crime, they were showing serial killers caught in the 80's for raping and killing young women. You know how they do the stories with actors re-enacting them. Well, they did the story and I thought, that is so familiar, the car, the guy. Then at the end, they showed live footage of the guy being arrested and I was shocked. The same guy that gave me a ride that day!! He was arrested in San Diego. Apparently he got away with killing 8 women.
I also never took rides from strangers ever again after that, not that I always did before. I thought I was so careful. I am just lucky my sister in law was in the store that day. Divine intervention.

OMG, Pink! I have the chills just reading your story! I agree with you, Divine interevention. I am so glad your SIL was there and you lived to tell the tale! He wanted an excuse for you not to just hop out of his car and get up to your house/apt and go in and rape and kill you! OMG.

It really is a scary and dangerous world out there. You just never know. The really scary part is 99.99% of them look just like the rest of us! Meaning no outward signs that they are bad bad people. I bet you were single and his looks appealed to you, right? That's what I mean. Scary.

Thank you for sharing your brush with death with us.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2010, 03:58 PM
 
Location: South Park, San Diego
5,590 posts, read 8,612,635 times
Reputation: 10911
I knew spree killer Andrew Cunanan (Gianni Versace's killer) fairly well. I worked as a server in his favorite restaurant and casually socialized with him occasionally in the neighborhood. I wouldn't have called him a good friend but I knew him better than more than a couple of people who constantly put themselves out there to be interviewed by news organizations and profile shows-(I did make the mistake of going on camera early on to a local newscaster I liked, thinking it would just be local and probably not even shown-and that turned out that I ended up on CNN international as some customers who said they saw me while in Taipei, Yikes! NEVER TALK TO THE PRESS ON CAMERA!) he and his first victim and close friend, attended my house warming party shortly before the murders and he gave me a very expensive architectural coffee table book as well as other unexpected gifts in the past.

He was an exceptionally intelligent and gregarious guy, always telling grand stories (mostly lies, but with just enough details that one didn't really care since if it didn't materially affect you- it was fun to listen to) very generous to a fault, (though, this would have been with his sugar daddy's money as it turned out) and anyone who knew him would immediately recall his raucous, and almost disturbingly boisterous laugh that would fill a room. I found myself more than once conversing with him about world events/politics, trends, travel, art and architecture- while in a booming club, not the most likely venue for such conversations- but his detailed knowledge of sometimes obscure facts and nuances within the discourse was impressive. It was this ability of his to tailor his personality and his conversations and interests (real or feigned) to his audience that I believe was his brilliance in duping so many of us to his real, complicated and ultimately diabolical sides.

Since his first victim was also his best friend, (at least for the time I knew him), and such a polar opposite of Andrew; Jeffrey Trail, modest, kind, honest and proud Naval Officer, just the nicest guy you could ever meet, and was killed with such vicious intimate brutality- that first murder was such shock to me that as the other victims started surfacing it just seemed like a bad movie as it unfolded. The craziest thing is that I was rollerblading with a friend down by the beach when we found out that Gianni Versace had been murdered that morning and we joked that it was Andrew Cunanan- having no idea!

For a while there I was freaked out when they couldn't find him and we all thought that he was going to come back here for some local revenge killings and that he knew where I lived- we would hear rustlings in the canyon behind us and just had to calm ourselves down. When he finally killed himself it was a relief. I still feel so bad for all the victims- especially Jeff Trail's family because I knew him personally to be such a good guy- but to all the families it was just such a stupid waste of lives.

You just never know sometimes.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2010, 04:36 PM
 
Location: beautiful NC mountains!
904 posts, read 2,675,778 times
Reputation: 1267
In the 80's my roommate and I were stalked by a man who ended up killing a girl we went to high school with and several others. All we noticed at the time was this truck following us home many times. We lived a ways out of town down a desolute dirt road. It wasn't traveled by anyone other than those who lived on it(2 homes). We were creeped out enough to turn around and head back into town until we lost him.
This continued for about a month until we saw the news one morning about the killing of our high school classmate. In the driveway sat that truck! It was an older model and very distinctive. Could not have been another like it. The killings took place not 3 miles from our house. It was all very scary.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2010, 05:09 PM
 
Location: Edina, MN, USA
7,336 posts, read 7,926,886 times
Reputation: 17171
VBmom - Did they catch him? Always good to follow your instincts.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2010, 08:10 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
1,164 posts, read 1,818,363 times
Reputation: 1001
Default A good looking, strange man: a shoe-in for being a future murderer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
OMG, Pink! I have the chills just reading your story! I agree with you, Divine interevention. I am so glad your SIL was there and you lived to tell the tale! He wanted an excuse for you not to just hop out of his car and get up to your house/apt and go in and rape and kill you! OMG.

It really is a scary and dangerous world out there. You just never know. The really scary part is 99.99% of them look just like the rest of us! Meaning no outward signs that they are bad bad people. I bet you were single and his looks appealed to you, right? That's what I mean. Scary.

Thank you for sharing your brush with death with us.
PinkString: That was some serious divine intervention! It was definitely not a coincidence that your sister-in-law was at the store when you arrived. You weren't one of the guy's victims for a reason, thank goodness!

tamiznluv: I agree, it is scary that 99.99% the dangerous people look like everyday people! When I read your post, I immediately thought of this guy I used to work with.

He was several years older than me, extremely good looking, and I found him very irresistable. Despite my long-time infatuation with the man, he had threatened me on two different occasions, the first one he told me that he would find out where I lived and burn my house down two summers ago. (Ironically, my neighbor's shed burnt down that summer. However, it was old and it was an electrical issue that caused it to burn down). On the second occasion (last summer or winter i think), he threatened to murder me in cold blood while we were both working in the electronics section and people were around. He always had had a strange air about him and for some reason didn't pose as an actual threat to me (even though he had previously served in the military). I was reassured by my co-workers that he was just joking in that demented sort of way. He asked me out to a karaoke bar last winter, but I was 20 at the time so all bets were off (thank goodness!) Sometimes I think about those days and wonder if I'll one day hear about him on the 5 o'clock news as a prime suspect in a murder case. As of now I haven't, but it really just makes you wonder.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2010, 09:10 PM
 
Location: Not where I want to be
24,368 posts, read 21,172,292 times
Reputation: 23764
Quote:
Originally Posted by stressedCollegeGirl89 View Post
PinkString: That was some serious divine intervention! It was definitely not a coincidence that your sister-in-law was at the store when you arrived. You weren't one of the guy's victims for a reason, thank goodness!

tamiznluv: I agree, it is scary that 99.99% the dangerous people look like everyday people! When I read your post, I immediately thought of this guy I used to work with.

He was several years older than me, extremely good looking, and I found him very irresistable. Despite my long-time infatuation with the man, he had threatened me on two different occasions, the first one he told me that he would find out where I lived and burn my house down two summers ago. (Ironically, my neighbor's shed burnt down that summer. However, it was old and it was an electrical issue that caused it to burn down). On the second occasion (last summer or winter i think), he threatened to murder me in cold blood while we were both working in the electronics section and people were around. He always had had a strange air about him and for some reason didn't pose as an actual threat to me (even though he had previously served in the military). I was reassured by my co-workers that he was just joking in that demented sort of way. He asked me out to a karaoke bar last winter, but I was 20 at the time so all bets were off (thank goodness!) Sometimes I think about those days and wonder if I'll one day hear about him on the 5 o'clock news as a prime suspect in a murder case. As of now I haven't, but it really just makes you wonder.

Nobody in their right mind jokes like that, Stressed! I hope that if you HAD been 21, you would not have seriously considered going out with that creep! I'm sure you would have been raped at the very least. Anyone agree with me on that?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2010, 11:36 PM
 
Location: Edina, MN, USA
7,336 posts, read 7,926,886 times
Reputation: 17171
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Nobody in their right mind jokes like that, Stressed! I hope that if you HAD been 21, you would not have seriously considered going out with that creep! I'm sure you would have been raped at the very least. Anyone agree with me on that?
Unfortunately, yes.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2010, 05:39 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
1,164 posts, read 1,818,363 times
Reputation: 1001
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Nobody in their right mind jokes like that, Stressed! I hope that if you HAD been 21, you would not have seriously considered going out with that creep! I'm sure you would have been raped at the very least. Anyone agree with me on that?

Even if I was 21 at the time (or any age), I don't think I would have gone out with him. I agree that I, most likely, would have been raped and/or killed if I went out with him. I'm glad to be alive sitting in my Web Design class right now rather than being 6ft under! Unfortunately, there are people who don't get to experience that joy due to the ultimate selfishness and brutality of others.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top