U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2010, 12:31 PM

25,630 posts, read 30,408,337 times

Advertisements

Anyone have personal contact with a Serial killer or Mass Murderer before they were known for their crime(s).

I had contact with Patrick Purdy the Cleveland School Shooter in Stockton California about a week before he committed his crime on January 17, 1989. He came into a local retail store where I was working as plain clothes security and tried to refund stolen merchandise for money. He was denied by management. When he was refused he sat on the ground in-front of the sales registers and started to slowly bang his head against the wooden register station. My partner and I were called out to ask him to leave as we were calling police. He left before the police showed up and they never took a report.

My manager and I were sitting watching the surveillance cameras on 1-17-89 when we were called by an employee who had just passed Cleveland School on her way to work to let us know that a shooting at the school had just occurred. We went to the break room and flipped on the TV just as the first reports came up live about the massacre. I think it was several hours later when I learned of the shooters name. My partner clocked in for her shift and we were talking about the incident. She said wasn't the guy who tried to do the refund last week named Patrick Purdy. Sure enough we had kept the receipt he had signed for the fraud refund attempt and attached it to our daily incident log. We had a short video clip of him doing the refund. We immediately contacted PD and our Manager who had left for the day. One of the PD investigators came to take our statements, the video and the fraudulent refund receipt with his name on it.

It still amazes me today that a lot of us have contact with killers and murders but we may never know.

Anyone Else?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 01:11 PM

32,532 posts, read 30,636,834 times
I've never had what you would call "personal contact". Thank goodness.

I did have the horrible experience of seeing the body of one of Randy Kraft's victims. The victim, God rest his soul, had been dumped alongside a freeway on-ramp in Orange County, CA and we passed by, quiet by chance, minutes after the police got there. Truly awful. Kraft is on Death Row which is exactly where he should be.

I also knew two victims of the mass killings at Cal State Fullerton in 1976. One was an extremely popular professor who had spoken at commencement just a few weeks before. Another horrible, horrible event.

Old 06-10-2010, 01:13 PM

939 posts, read 3,081,917 times
My dad worked with Martin Appel who killed 3 people during a bank robbery.

Twenty years later, bank slayings haunt Valley - mcall.com

I was 7 years old and I remember the day after it happened detectives came to our house to interview my dad about what he knew (which was nothing of importance).

Thats the closest I ever came to having personal contact with any mass murderers.

Old 06-10-2010, 01:23 PM

13,103 posts, read 24,874,667 times
No thank goodness

Old 06-10-2010, 01:30 PM

3,320 posts, read 4,842,297 times
My husband went to HS and was acquaintances with 2 convicted murderers here in WI. One guy ended up setting his girl on fire. The other, well his wife went missing and he was still convicted although no body was ever found. Big case here. I guess they would both only qualify as murderers.

DH said he remembers seeing a few red flags of the creep factor in each of them.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:44 PM

9,048 posts, read 14,314,364 times
I knew a man from FL who murdered his wife/mother of his child a few years back. I hadn't seen him in about 20 years, but my best friend dated him back then and nearly lost her life as well.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:52 PM

2,550 posts, read 3,964,947 times
No I never have, that I know of. Thank God...But I'm sure some of my older male relatives probably had a run in with Dean Corll, Elmer Wayne Henley, and/or David Brooks there in southeast Texas. They were the Houston Mass Murder killers (or also called "The Candyman Killings" there in Houston). I wouldn't be surprised if they did.

Old 06-12-2010, 01:44 AM

9,949 posts, read 22,170,356 times
Back in the 80's in southern Calif, waiting for a bus one day, a guy offered to give me a ride to where I was going instead. I didn't get any bad vibes from him, he seemed nice enough. The car was a convertible. All open....So i agreed. We got closer to where I lived, about a mile from my apt, and I suggested we stop at the store so I could pick up some groceries and some cat food. So I got out and went in the store, but he didn't come in. I met up with my sister in law by chance, inside the store and told her the guy gave me a ride and he was waiting outside. She talked me out of going back with him. Then I started getting worried because she was so worried. So I stayed in the store with her, we both waited until he finally gave up and left. But just as we were starting to come out, he came back around, circling the parking lot really slow, following another young lady. So my sis in law told store security about it, he went out and the guy took off squealing his tires.

Not long ago while watching an episode of True Crime, they were showing serial killers caught in the 80's for raping and killing young women. You know how they do the stories with actors re-enacting them. Well, they did the story and I thought, that is so familiar, the car, the guy. Then at the end, they showed live footage of the guy being arrested and I was shocked. The same guy that gave me a ride that day!! He was arrested in San Diego. Apparently he got away with killing 8 women.
I also never took rides from strangers ever again after that, not that I always did before. I thought I was so careful. I am just lucky my sister in law was in the store that day. Divine intervention.

Old 06-12-2010, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
Back in the 80's in southern Calif, waiting for a bus one day, a guy offered to give me a ride to where I was going instead. I didn't get any bad vibes from him, he seemed nice enough. The car was a convertible. All open....So i agreed. We got closer to where I lived, about a mile from my apt, and I suggested we stop at the store so I could pick up some groceries and some cat food. So I got out and went in the store, but he didn't come in. I met up with my sister in law by chance, inside the store and told her the guy gave me a ride and he was waiting outside. She talked me out of going back with him. Then I started getting worried because she was so worried. So I stayed in the store with her, we both waited until he finally gave up and left. But just as we were starting to come out, he came back around, circling the parking lot really slow, following another young lady. So my sis in law told store security about it, he went out and the guy took off squealing his tires.

Not long ago while watching an episode of True Crime, they were showing serial killers caught in the 80's for raping and killing young women. You know how they do the stories with actors re-enacting them. Well, they did the story and I thought, that is so familiar, the car, the guy. Then at the end, they showed live footage of the guy being arrested and I was shocked. The same guy that gave me a ride that day!! He was arrested in San Diego. Apparently he got away with killing 8 women.
I also never took rides from strangers ever again after that, not that I always did before. I thought I was so careful. I am just lucky my sister in law was in the store that day. Divine intervention.
Whew glad luck was with you. This is one of those better to be lucky than smart examples. I just told my daughters to read your post. What is the serial killers name?

Old 06-12-2010, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold*dust1 View Post
My husband went to HS and was acquaintances with 2 convicted murderers here in WI. One guy ended up setting his girl on fire. The other, well his wife went missing and he was still convicted although no body was ever found. Big case here. I guess they would both only qualify as murderers.

DH said he remembers seeing a few red flags of the creep factor in each of them.
I some times wonder if anyone I knew from high school turned out to be a heinous killer. Crazy when you think about how one day you know someone who seems ordinary then the next he or she is being arrested for multiple homicides.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime