Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 06:47 PM

8,039 posts, read 4,514,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinynot View Post
I agree with texdav. Just because a child says they were abused does not mean that it truly happened. Young kids are very aware of the intervention by child welfare. I have heard peoples children tell their parents if they do "so and so" they will call child welfare on them. My kids have probably said it to me.

And what does a child consider abuse? There was a case in my county where two adopted children and a friend planned and delivered the shooting deaths of the adopted mom and dad. Thetestimony of one of the conspirators was given with a snicker or giggle in their testimony. Obviously, the one who turned states witness against the other two. Their definition of abuse was that they had to work after school, doing chores, and didn't feel that they should be made to do that. The parents were well off financially and there was some money to be heired. It was that simple.
Have you noticed in the last few years this has become more prevalent? When I was growing up either this type of thing did not happen as much or we just didn't hear about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 07:13 PM

731 posts, read 1,579,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tookey View Post
Have you noticed in the last few years this has become more prevalent? When I was growing up either this type of thing did not happen as much or we just didn't hear about it.
I don't know if it was happening all these years and we didn't hear about it, or it just didn't happen close to where --you live-- or I live. I live in a rural area and that is probably the only case like that I ever knew of happening. My mother was on that jury.

Old 06-17-2010, 12:43 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,301,087 times
I probably shouldn't post in this one because my sympathies in these matters are pretty selective.

Unless some of these situations are clear out in remote places, away from all social assistance, I find it hard to believe that abused children can't find local help from police, agencies, or even schools.

Not that such services are perfect. In my area the Children Services Division has made mountains out of molehills when they shouldn't have, and have also neglected serious situations that should have gotten their attention much sooner. Oregon is down at the bottom for foster care, which places a big strain on a system with inadequate help.

I understand when a child, in an evil situation at home, gets cornered during an abuse and "cracks" in self-defense. I know that feeling of anger/hate at the parent, as I often felt it during my mother's rages (she was bipolar). She did damage.

However, it never occurred to me to end her life. Instead, it encouraged me to keep the goal to never look back once I left home. And I did. When I left home I took care of my own life, as messed up as it was, but never once did I try to go back home when times were tough. (I never liked to see people do this, anyway, and it bothers me to see it done so often today.) I wish more children could have the sense to realize that, if they just hang in there a few more years, they'll be away from the parental imprisonment. And they won't owe them anything.

I never believed the Menendez brothers. I seriously think there are "bad kids" out there with little conscience (think Jeffrey Dahmer), and others who are followers of the wrong people.

Now, I knew of a couple that ran a residential home for teenage girls, as an alternative to therapeutic schools or even foster care (although they didn't accept court-ordered children or street kids). They housed up to 7 girls in this huge house, had a 3rd person on staff to help, and they lived a very rigid regime. I won't go into details, but it was such an awesome program with so much energy put into it. It was a tough-love environment and most of the girls took a good while to adapt. But what the "foster parents" discovered is that many of the girls eventually admitted to lying about sexual charges against their fathers. I think they began to get hardened to teen girls after awhile, and they finally stopped doing it.

So I guess my point is, I just hope Paul Mones doesn't always assume that the actions of the children are justified, is all.

Old 06-17-2010, 09:43 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,198,053 times
I used to think about killing my mother when she was spanking the hell out of me with a hairbrush or paddle. I used to think about killing her when she was always punishing me/grounding me when I was a teen for just wanting to be able to have a life outside of four walls. She was a drug addict and the easiest way for her was to keep me home. I never acted on my thoughts, just ran away after I graduated. I had just turned 17 so I was still not able to legally get away from her. I can't believe at the age of 4 that I even knew what the word "kill" meant and am glad I never acted upon those thoughts.

Old 06-20-2010, 02:55 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,001,935 times
If a child killed a parent during the abuse, it would be self defense. However, in most of the cases I have heard of, the parent is killed at some random moment when the "child" is old enough to make a better decision (perhaps a teen).

I saw a Dateline (or something similar) show about a 16 year old who shot her mother while she was sleeping on the couch one afternoon. She said that she had suffered through years of abuse at her hand and just decided to take the opportunity to end it when she could. I'm sure she was not in her right mind after years of abuse, but at some point society has to hold each individual responsible for the actions they take. She was 16, saw she had the opportunity to end her suffering - but instead of packing up while mom was sleeping, and hitting the trail or calling the police (etc.), she decided to shoot her. Regardless of whether it was right or wrong, I think she had to be held responsible for not making a more appropriate decision.

I can't remember what she was actually convicted of, but she was sentenced to a lesser amount of time.

Old 06-20-2010, 08:18 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
I used to think about killing my mother when she was spanking the hell out of me with a hairbrush or paddle. I used to think about killing her when she was always punishing me/grounding me when I was a teen for just wanting to be able to have a life outside of four walls. She was a drug addict and the easiest way for her was to keep me home. I never acted on my thoughts, just ran away after I graduated. I had just turned 17 so I was still not able to legally get away from her. I can't believe at the age of 4 that I even knew what the word "kill" meant and am glad I never acted upon those thoughts.
I can relate to this. Never was I happier when I turned 18, and the next day, when my Dad was threatening to beat me, I grew this big smile on my face and confronted him head on: You lay one hand on me and I'm calling the police!

It never happened again! And thank God I grew up in a house without guns!

If you have the stomach to read about some extreme physical abuse of children, try reading Suffer the Little Children by Barbara Lewis, where the father would make his children stand in the backyard and use their human bodies for target practice with a BB gun, among other horrors.

Another TC book that you will claim, after reading it, must be fiction, not real, is Whatever Mother Says by Wensley Clarkson, the "Mother of the Year": Theresa Cross Knorr. She makes Joan Crawford look like a saint!

Old 06-21-2010, 05:03 PM

731 posts, read 1,579,747 times
If any child thinks that beating is wrong, they must know that killing is wrong. I do not believe killing a parent can be justified easily, because then you only hear the childs side of the story.
In Oklahoma, an emancipated adult is an underage person living on their own. Any child with any sense at least by the age of 11 or 12 can leave the home for reasons they want and they are responsible for any debts they incur as an emancipated adult. There are runaways aka emancipated adults that do not stay until they kill their parent. Surely friends and family would help any of these children who want to kill.
I don't know the laws in your states.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:14 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
I think when a kid kills a parent, there's, in 9 times out of 10 cases, some type of abuse in the background that's gone on in the familly. Unless the kid is a full-blown psychotic or sociopath, which are more rarer.
I actually believed the Menendez brothers and wouldn't have convicted either of them. I think there were a fair amount of people who testified how brutal the father was. I'm not sure about the sexual abuse, though, that they testified to. I think the mother was a classic enabler of a husband/father who didn't protect her children from his psychological abuse. I didn't buy the prosecution's case of money hungry kids. But, most of the jurors did.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:01 PM

5,581 posts, read 6,508,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I can relate to this. Never was I happier when I turned 18, and the next day, when my Dad was threatening to beat me, I grew this big smile on my face and confronted him head on: You lay one hand on me and I'm calling the police!

It never happened again! And thank God I grew up in a house without guns!

If you have the stomach to read about some extreme physical abuse of children, try reading Suffer the Little Children by Barbara Lewis, where the father would make his children stand in the backyard and use their human bodies for target practice with a BB gun, among other horrors.

Another TC book that you will claim, after reading it, must be fiction, not real, is Whatever Mother Says by Wensley Clarkson, the "Mother of the Year": Theresa Cross Knorr. She makes Joan Crawford look like a saint!
OMG! I recognize this name and story, also! I am a Christian, and this is a story that makes me question God! It is a TERRIBLE true story, and I get very angry that someone, somehow, was not able to stop the horrific actions of the mother. Another God-awful story you won't believe is true, but unfortunately is, is "House of Secrets: by Lowell Cauffiel. Un-freakin-believable!

Old 06-23-2010, 11:42 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Thanks for rattling my cage on this one, House of Secrets.

This was largely an incestous story if I recollect.

Large family from the Appalachian mountain region, where incest was/is practised quite widely there, moved to Ohio where they were much more vigilant on incest.

The statistics I read in that book have never left me, that at the time (I'm sure it's changed over the years I would hope) 7 out of 10 families in the Appalachian region practise incest. And second to that area of the country, is the Ozark region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime