Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2010, 01:28 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
Well, sheesh! After reading this one page it's easy to see how O.J. walked. I'd like to see these various crimes solved. Other than that I don't like to dabble in this dark world of crime. There is something called common sense and a eye for human behavior. Using either or both is what I pray for in a jury for the accused. Unfortunately, both sides look for the dumbest of the dumb for jurors. Why?? Because both sides think they can persuade the jurors to see things their way.
That is all well and good . . . but it doesn't constitute evidence.

Thank God people are convicted on evidence and not on people's gut feelings! Our justice system doesn't ask jurors to rely on their common sense or play psychologist - they are supposed to judge based on evidence.

Old 07-15-2010, 01:31 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,793,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post

Thank God people are convicted on evidence and not on people's gut feelings! Our justice system doesn't ask jurors to rely on their common sense or play psychologist - they are supposed to judge based on evidence.
oh, no not always. Wow-no, sorry. Don't know the statistics but many a person has been convicted of crimes they didn't commit. On the other hand some people are given a not guilty verdict when the evidence clearly proved they commited said crime.

Old 07-15-2010, 01:48 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,825,817 times
Quote:

There are no emotionless (blank slate) people to select as jurors. To simply view so called evidence and make a cut and dry verdict. No such animal. No, jurors life experiences and prejudices rule the jury. O.J.'s trial a perfect example. No, public and personal opinions can't convict someone unless you sit on the jury. Unfortunately, they'll probably never be an accused or suspect in Jon Benet's case to ever sit before a jury. Money...lawyers...media....bleeding hearts...

Old 07-15-2010, 02:00 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,485,663 times
Quote:
I totally get what you are saying.

For me, this case was very much on my mind as many of my former neighbors in Kansas were from Colorado, so they were hearing things from family and friends back in CO . . . and it was a huge topic of conversation amongst my friends/neighbors.

The whole saga was mishandled. I remember the Jewel case in Atlanta, where Richard Jewell was totally excoriated by the press and folks nationwide completely trounced his reputation - only to be proven later he was not involved in that bombing.

People jump to conclusions and are so quick to tear others down. That is what has upset me about the Jon Benet case.

Just b/c folks get all caught up in how they THINK they would handle themselves in such a horrible situation, it doesn't mean that is how the rest of us respond to a crisis. I found that troubling at the time - all the assumptions folks made.

I think this is an interesting case to discuss and I wonder if anyone will ever come forward with information leading to an arrest. Since I believe more than one person was involved, I have great hope that this may one day happen.
Exactly. We have to become 'critical thinkers' again--or informed consumers of what the media can provide.

Teenagers on drugs sounds about right. Highly educated community--technologically advanced--possibly 'hacked' into John Ramsey's business files--one of them might have been a son--or daughter of an employee--spent their considerable hours of leisure time reading 'Lord of the Flies' or traveled abroad and encountered who knows what sort of people--sad to say--Europe is 'exotic', old world and much went on in the old world that should never have transpired. So then they put the education, wealth, advantages to use. May they have the same fate that Joran Vandersloot brought upon himself.

Richard Jewel--lived in a small apartment with his mother not too far from my house--FBI, GBI --hysteria.
How people 'get over' such experiences is miraculous. I would be a person who would be 'under suspicion' --I have no doubt about that--therefore I am reluctant to 'believe' what Others might want to convince me to believe.

The latest unpleasant news from Atlanta>>>
Police Searching For North Carolina Woman's Killer - Atlanta News Story - WGCL Atlanta

This happened in Buckhead--which is being redeveloped to become 'Rodeo Drive', FWIW. Yes, sigh--that is a goal that is thought by some to boost the economic growth. Haven't been over that way in about 10 years.

A woman was shot in the head--boyfriend returned and found her.

'Kingsberry worked at the Helen Wright Center for homeless women in Raleigh. According to the Human Resources manager with Urban Ministries, the victim's mother also worked there and has for many years.

Kathleen Donahue with Urban Ministries said at the time of Kingsbury's death she was still employed with Urban Ministries. Donahue said she did not believe the victim had moved to Atlanta.

"As far as I know she was down there visiting," Donahue said.

“You walk by people every single day going to and from your place and you just don't know what's going to happen the next day. It's scary,” said Strichter.

Old 07-15-2010, 02:09 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,825,817 times
I would imagine the "wild" conspiracy theories have been covered. Onward to more enlightened discussions of the likely culprits. With of course any reasonable ideas and opinions which should be included. I've read no books on this case and have no interest in it. Other than an intense interest when it first occurred. How sad... but, I think it's much simpler than most think.

Old 07-15-2010, 05:39 PM

26,727 posts, read 26,806,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
But what does it matter now Patsy is dead and John ramsey is not well and in failing health... It is truly sad what happened to this family.
I'm one who believes that the parents were innocent. If they can find a serial killer 24 years after his first victim was found (The Grim Sleeper), they should be able to find JonBenet's killer.

Quote:
John had another daughter that was killed as well.
She was killed in a car accident at age 22. In the photo that appears on this link, she bears a slight resemblance to her half sister. She's buried near JonBenet and Patsy Ramsey. You're right that what happened to this family is truly sad.
Elizabeth Pasch Ramsey (1969 - 1992) - Find A Grave Memorial

Old 07-15-2010, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
oh, no not always. Wow-no, sorry. Don't know the statistics but many a person has been convicted of crimes they didn't commit. On the other hand some people are given a not guilty verdict when the evidence clearly proved they commited said crime.
My point is . . . if you are a juror, you are to convict on evidence, not on a gut feeling. The fact that folks DO convict on gut feelings instead of the evidence is exactly why wrong verdicts come out of juries and innocent people get convicted (or guilty ones go free).

Old 07-15-2010, 07:32 PM

15 posts, read 75,514 times
Please forgive me if I sound like an idiot........ just a little uninformed..... didn't they make an arrest in the jon benet case?

Old 07-15-2010, 07:57 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,793,169 times
Quote:
My point is . . . if you are a juror, you are to convict on evidence, not on a gut feeling. The fact that folks DO convict on gut feelings instead of the evidence is exactly why wrong verdicts come out of juries and innocent people get convicted (or guilty ones go free).
well yea, that's a no brainer. But for you to make a blanket statement like you did:Thank God people are convicted on evidence and not on people's gut feelings! Our justice system doesn't ask jurors to rely on their common sense or play psychologist - they are supposed to judge based on evidence.
kinda sorta locked you into the sentiment that our judicial system is not in any way flawed.

Old 07-16-2010, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
well yea, that's a no brainer. But for you to make a blanket statement like you did:Thank God people are convicted on evidence and not on people's gut feelings! Our justice system doesn't ask jurors to rely on their common sense or play psychologist - they are supposed to judge based on evidence.
kinda sorta locked you into the sentiment that our judicial system is not in any way flawed.
The system would work a lot better if folks did what they were supposed to - and judged based on evidence. At least we have this system of justice in place! The fact that jurors do NOT follow the rules and instead let their emotions, prejudices, biases, and opinions cloud their thinking is a human flaw . . . not the system of justice's flaw.

Compared to many countries and how they mete out justice, I believe the ideal is being judged by a jury of one's peers. I think most jurors do try to be open-minded, but it is far from a perfect system, b/c jurors are humans and sadly, affected by their own personal issues and beliefs at times.

It's still better than getting stoned to death without benefit of a trial -- something that still occurs in some societies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime