Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 09:02 AM

2,205 posts, read 2,533,866 times

Advertisements

There are some who make millions on the macabre. A music industry leader spent quite a bit on the possession of Ted Bundy's Volkswagen used in the murders, it has changed hands several times. During another auction one victims relatives purchased Jeffrey Dahmers "possessions" and then had a public bonfire. The purpose for this thread is to enlighten, I suppose, to another facet of the serial killer topic, just FYI, no judgments nor opinions for myself. I'd also like to point out that EBay immediately stopped all such auctions once it was determined the nature of those sales. Private sites now promote such items.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 10:18 AM

15,927 posts, read 8,132,813 times
We had a handkerchief with the portrait of Jesus with Crown of thorns, painted by a long ago, employee of my husband's. He was in jail for assault. It was actually very good, but some idiot hoodlum friend of our daughter stole it. He's probably in jail now too, painting his own handkerchiefs!!!

Old 06-13-2010, 11:03 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,172,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getout View Post
There are some who make millions on the macabre. A music industry leader spent quite a bit on the possession of Ted Bundy's Volkswagen used in the murders, it has changed hands several times. During another auction one victims relatives purchased Jeffrey Dahmers "possessions" and then had a public bonfire. The purpose for this thread is to enlighten, I suppose, to another facet of the serial killer topic, just FYI, no judgments nor opinions for myself. I'd also like to point out that EBay immediately stopped all such auctions once it was determined the nature of those sales. Private sites now promote such items.

That's okay, getout. I have no problem with the thread now. Just was a little shocked the other day. I know there are many out there who do find that interesting. I DO have opinions and I have no problems voicing them.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:31 AM

3,320 posts, read 5,590,046 times
Quote:
Does anyone engage in the collection of "murderabilia"? Have you ever contacted a killer by writing to them?

There seems to be a large market in paintings, letters, case files and the such relating to true crime. I was wondering if any here has established any type or relationship with a killer behind bars and if so, why?
No I've never had an interest in that realm of crime and don't understand those that do.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:30 PM

5,562 posts, read 6,485,374 times
I have worked in prisons for both males and females. A convict is the lowest rung of the ladder in life. By the time they get to actual prison, they have a rap sheet a mile long. Once a convict, always a convict, with few exceptions. I hated seeing the (innocent) children and the elderly parents or grandparents (did they ever expect to be in a prison in their twilight years?) of a convict come and visit. I hated more the love letters, with the lipstick kisses on the envelopes, that would come from girlfriends. I especially hate the prison workers that fall for these conniving convicts, and help them to escape. Back on topic, most convicts are artistically inclined (if only they used their talent for good, they could work for Disney or the movie studios and have a very good career/income). I kept a set of 6 chess pieces made out of green state soap that was confiscated as contraband. I have the pieces on display in a curio cabinet.

Old 07-14-2010, 07:47 AM

28 posts, read 44,353 times
Quote:
Does anyone engage in the collection of "murderabilia"? Have you ever contacted a killer by writing to them?

There seems to be a large market in paintings, letters, case files and the such relating to true crime. I was wondering if any here has established any type or relationship with a killer behind bars and if so, why?
I have followed true crime for years. I love trying to figure things out and I have an interest in the justice system. I regularly follow the Innocence Project. Not interested in marrying anyone in prison or anything like that,

BUT all that being said, I wrote to a serial killer to ask a question about a case I was researching. He wrote back six months later and we have been writing for about 4 years now. He is on death row and will one day be executed.

For me it has been a very interesting experience and I don't regret it at all. I imagine the collection of things I have from him are of some value in the murderabilia industry. One time I saw a short note he wrote and signed online and I was pretty amazed. I have hundreds of letters and at least 25 pieces of extensive artwork. I also have a book he made with all the letters his mother wrote to him in prison before she died. Like I said for me it has been interesting.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:24 AM

407 posts, read 660,079 times
Although I find "Murderabilia" to be distasteful and tacky. And I am sure that it causes pain to the victims of said murderers--- I am more upset by the unfair way in which some sites treat the merchandise. Ebay for instance, no longer allows such items. I find that more disturbing than the items themselves. Items such as a painting by Gacy or a music CD by Manson, or a letter from Bundy have historical value. It may be distasteful, but it is also important. And these items do not directly benefit the criminals at all. When MANSON wanted to tell his story in the 1980s and dictated MANSON IN HIS OWN WORDS to Nuel Emmons, there was tons of media coverage--- and Ebay will let u sell that book. Or a dvd of an interview with a serial Killer, or a sleazy slasher movie about a Gacy or a Ramirez... but they find it morally offensive to sell a Gacy painting??? its hypocritical and wrong.

Old 07-16-2010, 04:05 PM

24,068 posts, read 32,392,112 times
It really is one in the same.
For that matter there is a whole cottage industry around "True Crime" -books and films on the subject can really not be excluded from this!
Also, the home of one of America's first on record - but un- convicted female axe murderers, Lizzie Borden of Fall River MA is now a Bed and Breakfast!
Not my cup of tea but they are doing quite well!
Would not want a Gacy to grace my walls either. How about the horrific artifacts of Ed Gein?
Ewwwwww!!!

Old 07-16-2010, 10:53 PM

16 posts, read 29,336 times
I just recently read somewhere online about the sales of real estate that crimes were committed. I think that would be creepy. I would be interested in the automotive part like famous getaway cars or the caprice that was used in the dc sniper shootings.

Old 07-17-2010, 08:12 AM

24,068 posts, read 32,392,112 times
On Long Island NY where I am from The infamous Amityville House is for sale for 1.5 million!
This is the place where Ron DeFeo shot and killed is whole family.
Also where the Lutz family was terrorized by paranormal activity.(who am I to say but I must admit that I would not want to live there)
A small fortune was made around that crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime