Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 10:28 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,936,147 times

Advertisements

66 years old having spent 40 years in prison the felon lacks the 40 quarters to collect social security.

Obviously he can't get a job.

Where and how do old felons live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 10:51 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,198,053 times
Good question! I suppose they would go back to whatever crime they were in prison for. As far as where do they live, if there is no family member willing to put a roof over their head, I would assume the streets.

Old 06-14-2010, 10:54 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
Some commit a crime to get them sent back as it's the only life they know.

I would assume some states/cities may have half way houses or the like

Good question....

Old 06-14-2010, 11:43 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,679,772 times
They can still get jobs. Landscaping, construction, fast food/food service, fieldwork, maintenance etc

Old 06-14-2010, 11:45 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,936,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Some commit a crime to get them sent back as it's the only life they know.

I would assume some states/cities may have half way houses or the like

Good question....
If you're 66 and been in 40 years it might be the best route to take.

Three hots and a cot beats the cold hungry streets.

Old 06-14-2010, 11:56 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,681,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
If you're 66 and been in 40 years it might be the best route to take.

Three hots and a cot beats the cold hungry streets.
I'd agree since these people are "institutionalized humans" if there ever were any.

Old 06-16-2010, 01:58 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,025,302 times
He will still get some govt assistance. Maybe he learned a good trade while in prson.

Old 06-16-2010, 09:23 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,787,921 times
Recidivism in this country is very high. We know what helps to reduce the recidivism rate but of course many states are broke right now and are not spending the money on it. Of course even in good times states were not doing things that can bring the recidivism rate down. One thing that brings down the recidivism rate down is higher education.

Of course it's hard to go back to school when you have a criminal record. Getting the funding is nearly impossible and for many careers, you are disqualified because they won't accept someone with a criminal background. It's crazy and it's sad.

I can understand some professions not accepting felons like teaching for example.

Many times jobs are hard to come by so sometimes it's just easier to steal or go back to your old habits and wind up back in prison where you have a place to sleep, meals, etc.

I personally think we need to end the "war on drugs." History has taught us that prohibition does not work. We need to focus more on treatment and ending these mandatory sentences. Judges need to have more discretion in sentencing. I read the book The New Jim Crow Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness by Michelle Alexander and she cited a case where a judge was very emotional in sending a young male to prison for so long. The judge said he wished he had more discretion and would like to see mandatory sentences go.

I don't think we have a "criminal justice" system in America. It's broken and it's geared more toward sending more people to prison in order to satisfy those in the prison industry. It's sickening how people can make millions on prisons.

Old 06-17-2010, 05:24 AM

1,870 posts, read 2,389,768 times
This segment from the movie, The Shawshank Redemption, fits right in here:

YouTube - Brooks Was Here - Brook's Story from Shawshank Redemption

Old 06-17-2010, 09:00 AM

9,894 posts, read 22,025,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
Recidivism in this country is very high. We know what helps to reduce the recidivism rate but of course many states are broke right now and are not spending the money on it. Of course even in good times states were not doing things that can bring the recidivism rate down. One thing that brings down the recidivism rate down is higher education.

Of course it's hard to go back to school when you have a criminal record. Getting the funding is nearly impossible and for many careers, you are disqualified because they won't accept someone with a criminal background. It's crazy and it's sad.

I can understand some professions not accepting felons like teaching for example.

Many times jobs are hard to come by so sometimes it's just easier to steal or go back to your old habits and wind up back in prison where you have a place to sleep, meals, etc.

I personally think we need to end the "war on drugs." History has taught us that prohibition does not work. We need to focus more on treatment and ending these mandatory sentences. Judges need to have more discretion in sentencing. I read the book The New Jim Crow Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness by Michelle Alexander and she cited a case where a judge was very emotional in sending a young male to prison for so long. The judge said he wished he had more discretion and would like to see mandatory sentences go.

I don't think we have a "criminal justice" system in America. It's broken and it's geared more toward sending more people to prison in order to satisfy those in the prison industry. It's sickening how people can make millions on prisons.
The us is jail crazy & its pathetic. The punishment does not always fit the crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime