U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 03:53 PM

22,907 posts, read 19,351,647 times

Advertisements

Murdering your family, including the children is just about as low as it can get. Anyone's muder is terrible but by the people who are supposed to be your "saftey net"??? Horrible.

Feel free to post any of your own local news here.

Thomas Mortimer Arrested For Winchester Murders In Bernardston - wbztv.com (http://wbztv.com/local/Winchester.murders.Thomas.2.1756761.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 04:15 PM

16,085 posts, read 23,937,560 times
Paradise Pennsylvania man kills girls in a one room Amish schoolhouse???

CNN.com - Fifth girl dies after*Amish school shooting - Oct 3, 2006

Old 06-17-2010, 04:19 PM

22,907 posts, read 19,351,647 times
Oh yes, I remember that one. I either saw a re-enactment of it on one of the crime shows or I saw a movie? Whichever, that guy was a monster too! Kill adults all you want, kill your spouse but don't kill children!!!

I've been to Paradise, Pa. and it was so beautiful and tranquil. How could anyone target those beautiful, innocent children??

Old 06-17-2010, 04:31 PM

16,085 posts, read 23,937,560 times
One of those horrendous crimes that will never make sense, obviously a very disturbed man, that never sought help. Makes my stomach turn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Oh yes, I remember that one. I either saw a re-enactment of it on one of the crime shows or I saw a movie? Whichever, that guy was a monster too! Kill adults all you want, kill your spouse but don't kill children!!!

I've been to Paradise, Pa. and it was so beautiful and tranquil. How could anyone target those beautiful, innocent children??

Old 06-18-2010, 12:54 AM

17,452 posts, read 21,294,559 times
The scariest thing about the human race is the majority haven't a clue as to what their breaking points are, what the end of the rope entails.

And when that breaking point appears, all reason and logic evaporates instantly. And, when that happens, being in a state that has the death penalty makes things ever so sweet.

Myself, I would only a commit a murder in a state that is trigger-happy with doling out death penalty sentences.

Old 06-18-2010, 05:22 AM

13,108 posts, read 24,923,490 times
This one from NJ offed his family and wasn't captured for 18 freakin years

John List - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-22-2010, 07:01 PM

18,678 posts, read 23,304,965 times
John List had a Tiffany glass cieling in his house that he could have sold to take care of his financial woes. But he killed instead to save his family from "hell: and financial disgrace.
Like murder is better?
and if he was so afraid of hell than where does he think HE is headed?

Old 06-23-2010, 09:22 AM

8,754 posts, read 10,874,325 times
That case was interesting--I remember seeing the movie where Robert Blake played him. Eerily similiar, too, to the real one! That guy was a religious zealot, mom played a role there.
I saw the real guy interviewed on TV and he was very odd, but in his mind he saw it as a viable solution. He didn't seem psychotic, but more dissociative. When he bought that big, expensive house and then lost his job, the stress must have sent him over the edge, of his own craziness already present. What a sad story.

Old 06-23-2010, 03:59 PM

18,678 posts, read 23,304,965 times
Yes it was and continues to be interesting - and horribly tragic and' in my opinion at least avoidable.
There was no real poverty or entrenched ignorance involved here.
John List was a white collar man who could ave turned to his church and swallowed his enormous pride!

To me the WORST CASE IN TRUE CRIME has to be the TORTURE MURDER of SYLVIA LIKENS!!!!
These people were malevolent and ignorant.

They lived in a house with 3 spoons and a hot plate. Before Sylvia and her sister became "Boarders" of the off kilter - if not EVIL - Gertrude Benesewski Wright - there were not enough resources for her own children.

Needless to say her methods of punishment were Dickensian - even by sixties standards.

I still do not give Gertrude ?a break".
You can be poor and ill- educated.
But sadism and torture are off the charts in my book.

NEVER IN MY LIFE HAVE I HEARD of SUCH a THING!
THIS CASE cannot be forgotten!!

Old 06-24-2010, 12:53 PM

15,835 posts, read 15,067,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Murdering your family, including the children is just about as low as it can get.
Bruce Pardo dressed up in a Santa Claus suit on Christmas Eve 2008 and showed up at a holiday party at the home of his ex-wife's parents in Covina, CA. He shot and killed his ex-wife and eight other family members, including children, and then killed himself. Really hard to understand. He sounded more deeply disturbed than anyone knew until the tragedy happened.
Covina Holiday Murders - SGVTribune.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime