Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 12:07 PM

2,543 posts, read 4,885,027 times

Advertisements

A male Judge.

One time I had a female judge (a tiny, little misdemeanor from 9 years ago) and she was a real *****. She gave me 6 months of counseling and 1 year probation. Well, for me I had a great probation officer who let me off after 7 months (because he thought my "crime" was nothing; arguing loud at my husband at the time). He thought the counseling thing was just too much, but I completed it anyway. And he knew I didn't do drugs or was a bad person. So, I was let off early. He asked who was my judge and when I told him, he was furious. He heard stuff about her that she was not kind to no one, no matter what crime they committed. So, I was justed unfair.

If you're ever in trouble in Arizona, don't get a female jude EVER. Male judges here are much better. And it was a male judge who let me off early and said that my "crime" was nothing to be arrested for. Sheeesh!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 01:57 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,298,103 times
This will probably sound "politically incorrect". However, generally speaking, my choice for a sentencing judge would be a white male with politically liberal views. My experience in the courts for years has taught me that there are still not enough women judges yet that they feel "secure" as a group. Insecure people tend to lash out. They tend to support the power structure with their decisions. They tend to prefer the state over the individual, the prosecution over the defense, and will do what is "safe" rather than what is right.

I am afraid I feel the same way about minority judges. They can generally be counted on to back the "power structure" when the chips are down. They do want to call negative attention to themselves because they tend to see their presence on the bench as fortuitous and something that could be lost due to a misstep.

Now with some crimes its just not going to make a difference. No judge will look favorably on a murderer or child molester. However, if you are talking about drug crimes, larceny, embezzlement, or other non-violent crimes pick a white male judge with politically liberal views. He won't feel threatened and he'll do what he thinks is right.

Old 07-16-2010, 03:49 PM

24,100 posts, read 32,460,014 times
PC or not it seems true. BTW I am "liberal leaning' myself, but mark91 is right - many minority judges err on the side of toughness - for a variety of reasons.
Many want to send a message to people who commit crimes from their own communities.Also their are a myriad of personnel as well as political gains to be made with such a stance.

Old 07-16-2010, 03:51 PM

24,100 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Female judge are no walk in the park in my state either.

Old 07-17-2010, 07:22 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,187,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
Anyone who doesn't know that jury selection is actually a process that takes place between the prosecutor and the defense attorney while the judge plays referee has obviously never dealt with jury selection.

Just saying.

You are correct .

The judge only makes a difference in cases that don't go to a jury trial.

Old 07-17-2010, 08:46 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,651,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
This will probably sound "politically incorrect". However, generally speaking, my choice for a sentencing judge would be a white male with politically liberal views. My experience in the courts for years has taught me that there are still not enough women judges yet that they feel "secure" as a group. Insecure people tend to lash out. They tend to support the power structure with their decisions. They tend to prefer the state over the individual, the prosecution over the defense, and will do what is "safe" rather than what is right.

I am afraid I feel the same way about minority judges. They can generally be counted on to back the "power structure" when the chips are down. They do want to call negative attention to themselves because they tend to see their presence on the bench as fortuitous and something that could be lost due to a misstep.

Now with some crimes its just not going to make a difference. No judge will look favorably on a murderer or child molester. However, if you are talking about drug crimes, larceny, embezzlement, or other non-violent crimes pick a white male judge with politically liberal views. He won't feel threatened and he'll do what he thinks is right.
Interesting analysis.

Old 07-17-2010, 08:53 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,225,158 times
IDK.

Our senior judge is famale and half of the magistrates are female. And we don't really have a shortage of female judges in this area. It is up to the prosecutor to decide if charges are to be filed. The police can arrest you for something like rioting but the prosecutor can file charges as Disorderly Conduct. They can raise and lower the charge. They are the ones that decide if there is enough evidence to convict someone or a case is worth pursuing.

Our main prosecutor is female.

Prior to sentencing, one usually has what is called a Pre-Sentencing Report also called a PreDispositional Report. This is put together by the probation department. This is a document that basically takes your life and puts it on paper and has a huge impact. An interview takes place. If one refuses the interview then this is also documented. This document is a make or break document for many. Why? It is a recommendation to the magistrate or judge.

There are some rogue judges, the freakin' spanking judges and the ones that were taking kickback in PA. By and large they do the best they can with what they have to work with. This means that they are reliant on several factors that happen before sentencing. Then they have the guidelines.

Before, I face a judge or magistrate I would worry far more about the report and how much times was spent on it and who the hell prepared it.

Which means, locally, the next time some whackado goes for election and talks about "big government" and how people should be cut, guess where they get cut? Do more with less. Pbbbbtttt. Are you cutting quality?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime