Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2013, 05:26 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,754,732 times

Advertisements

It might be enlightening if I could read the hand-drawn whatevers on there.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 10:21 PM

12 posts, read 33,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
It might be enlightening if I could read the hand-drawn whatevers on there.
Under the drawing there's a descprition of what the drawings means and how they relate to Eric. It's very sad how it's mostly the negative stuff about him.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:09 AM

1 posts, read 2,047 times
Lightbulb Re: Yes

Of course I think that Eric Harris was a psychopath. The evidence is clear. Columbine wasn't supposed to be a school shooting. It was supposed to be a full-blown terrorist attack. This wasn't just planned a month ahead they planned this massacre about a year in advance. The first trait of a psychopath are behaviors as a child. (violence towards animals, lighting fires,failing to show remorse for wrong-doing) Then at around age 13-17 they start stealing and scamming people. There is no rage or anger. It is pure excitement. Psychopaths don't kill people because they get angry, they kill people because the thought gets them off. If you ever read Columbine (2009) you wouldn't be asking if he was a psychopath, you'd realize that the evidence was there during his entire life. He manipulated psychologists,teachers,classmates, and even a US Marine. The Marines usually won't allow someone who is on anti-depressents to enter the service. But the Marine he spoke with told him, with confidence, that he didn't think it would be an issue. Harris declined.

Old 03-28-2013, 01:47 PM

1,566 posts, read 2,158,336 times
This has been such a fascinating thread. I still remember when this all went down. To this day I can't help but shudder at "4/20" which is coming up again. Thank you for all of the links, they were really informative reads. I do believe he was a psychopath. I think bullying played a part in it but I also think there were other things. We'll never know exactly what went through their minds. I just wish this kind of thing wouldn't happen.

Old 01-21-2016, 02:34 PM

1 posts, read 1,415 times
I don't think he was a psychopath. He had friends, he didn't always get along with them but I don't alway get along with mine either. He spared Brooks even though they had previously queraled. This would suggest he could forgive and show mercy. He was obviously very emotionally charged and impulsive not traits you see in psychopaths. He was very effected by bulling and it evoked an emotional response. He was depressed and taking medication for it which he later went off. He also didn't abuse animals like many psychopaths do. In fact he took time of work to stay with his sick dog Sparky before it died. He had good friends like Dylan who covered his shifts at BlackJack's Pizzeria during this time.

Old 01-21-2016, 05:03 PM

26,717 posts, read 26,782,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidkat View Post
He was obviously very emotionally charged and impulsive not traits you see in psychopaths.
Diagnostic criteria for Antisocial Personality Disorder under the DSM-IV (which was in effect when he committed these murders):

A. There is a pervasive pattern of disregard for and violation of the rights of others occurring since age 15 years, as indicated by three (or more) of the following:

(1) failure to conform to social norms with respect to lawful behaviors as indicated by repeatedly performing acts that are grounds for arrest
(2) deceitfulness, as indicated by repeated lying, use of aliases, or conning others for personal profit or pleasure
(3) impulsivity
(4) irritability and aggressiveness, as indicated by repeated physical fights or assaults
(5) reckless disregard for safety of self or others
(6) consistent irresponsibility, as indicated by repeated failure to sustain consistent work behavior or honor financial obligations
(7) lack of remorse, as indicated by being indifferent to or rationalizing having hurt, mistreated, or stolen from another

B. The individual is at least age 18 years.

C. There is evidence of Conduct Disorder with onset before age 15 years.

D. The occurrence of antisocial behavior is not exclusively during the course of Schizophrenia or a Manic Episode.

Quote:
He was very effected by bulling and it evoked an emotional response.
He was never bullied. That was a myth put out by the media immediately after these crimes, and it was later retracted by the media.

Quote:
He had good friends like Dylan who covered his shifts at BlackJack's Pizzeria during this time.
Ask the Blackjack Pizza manager about that.
The Denver Post Online - News

Old 01-22-2016, 08:00 AM

1,535 posts, read 1,389,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidkat View Post
I don't think he was a psychopath.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Diagnostic criteria for Antisocial Personality Disorder under the DSM-IV (which was in effect when he committed these murders)
It might be important to note that there are degrees of sociopathy (evilness, for those who perfer the theological term). For example the Hare test rates people from 3- to 36. Those scoring over 19 are said to have sociopathic / evil tendencies. Those scoring over 30 are fully sociopathic / evil and those scoring 36 are extreme.

People with sociopathic tendencies can develop select friendships, exhibit loyalty to a group, set some limitations on their behavior etc. I would not be surprised if some full sociopaths do likewise.

Therefore, the existance of friends does not prevent him from being sociopathic / evil. At the same time, committing disgusting crimes does not automatically make some one a full sociopath. At the end of the day, we probably cant tell if he was, or was not based on the existing information.

Last edited by Cryptic; 01-22-2016 at 08:09 AM..

Old 01-22-2016, 11:16 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,691,273 times
Have you read Harris's rants? The guy thought he was superior to all other people.

YES, in answer to your question

He happened to be my neighbor on the backside of where I lived a short time, summer 1997 to summer 1998. Of course, since we had no kids and no interaction with him, we didn't know about the problems he had already caused or even who he was. I do remember being glad we moved out of that neighborhood, because near the end of that period two teenagers (whom I assume were him and Klebold) used to stand a long time on their upper-story porch and STARE for long stretches into our backyard and glass sliding doors. El creepo--teenagers rarely stayed still that much.

I also was glad I had not gone to the public library during my lunch break even though I had a book due that day. Doing so would have put me there at the same time the shootings occurred. The public library sits right next to Columbine HS. Instead, I soon heard coworkers frantically telling each other that their kids had called on cell phones to say they were being held hostage, lying under tables, blood all around, etc. I had lots coworkers with teens in that school. Another neighbor's son did not get out until 8:30 that night.

Count me as one who agrees with the parents who chopped down the two trees for Harris and Klebold, which had been planted with the trees for each of the kids and the teacher they murdered.

Last edited by pikabike; 01-22-2016 at 11:26 AM..

Old 01-22-2016, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
It might be important to note that there are degrees of sociopathy. People with sociopathic tendencies can develop select friendships, exhibit loyalty to a group, set some limitations on their behavior etc.
A sociopath is not the same as a psychopath (although the pop psychology links and Internet blogs would have us assume so). "Psychopath" is a criminal term for Antisocial personality disorder. A sociopath actually is able to feel some remorse, depending on the situation.

See post #25.

Old 01-22-2016, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
I soon heard coworkers frantically telling each other that their kids had called on cell phones to say they were being held hostage, lying under tables, blood all around, etc. I had lots coworkers with teens in that school. Another neighbor's son did not get out until 8:30 that night.
How horrible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime