Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 04:53 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times

Advertisements

I guess as long as he maintains his "innocence", he will never get out. No admission of guilt. Or remorse. A person like that is truly a sociopath. He probably beleives his bull at this point, almost a psychosis. I have no doubt he could pass a lie detector, without a blip. He has not a shred of guilt about the whole situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2012, 05:49 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,753,298 times
I remember reading that they thought he was on speed when he did it. That's ain't sociopathy; it's more like 'roid rage. I rather wish they had tested him for drugs, the way he was acting when he was taken to the hospital. It would have cleared up a lot.

How do they even have a usable DNA sample after 40 years, for crying out loud?

Old 09-17-2012, 08:53 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,866,889 times
A new book about the case has been released by Errol Morris. It's called "The Wilderness of Error". I haven't read it yet, but it sounds interesting.

The following article gives a background on Morris and gets into the book about half way through.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/11/bo...pagewanted=all

Old 09-17-2012, 08:58 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,337,825 times
I think he is guilty too.I have read the book "fatel vision" honestly I can't imagine him doing that to his family...There is a small part of me that wonders what is he is really telling the truth..this case has haunted me for years...

Old 09-18-2012, 04:41 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,646,108 times
A major factor for me is a big guy, green beret, and look at the aftermath of the house. I think a coffee table and a few magazines overturned. Ya right. Can you imagine,with those skills he had, if he was defending his family from death? And, he's left almost unhurt, the rest are massacred. And, 3 hippies or whatever restrained him? Ya right. That was always the clincher for me.

Old 09-18-2012, 02:42 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate Nancy View Post
A major factor for me is a big guy, green beret, and look at the aftermath of the house. I think a coffee table and a few magazines overturned. Ya right. Can you imagine,with those skills he had, if he was defending his family from death? And, he's left almost unhurt, the rest are massacred. And, 3 hippies or whatever restrained him? Ya right. That was always the clincher for me.
And that coffee table was one of the clues to the police that the scene was staged. The coffee table was lying on its side, but it could only stay that way if you carefully placed it on its side. If you knocked it over, it rolled all the way so that the table was upside down with the four legs sticking up because it was top heavy.

Old 09-18-2012, 08:43 PM

Sadly, his wife, Collette, was pregnant. What is it about being pregnant, that increases a woman's risk of being killed? Think, so many pregnant women killed by their spouses, Lori Hacking, Lacie Peterson, so many others.

Old 09-18-2012, 08:46 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate Nancy View Post
Tried a link to the Huffington Post article, but it didn't work. Says due to DNA evidence, he gets a new trial!? Does anyone believe he's innocent??
Lots of people believe he is innocent and many think a high up official was protecting a family member when no more investigation was allowed. If this is true, I hope they discover it and reveal who the dishonest person is.

Many people did not believe him because he slept through the killings. He had been on duty for many hours and some people sleep so soundly that you can almost drop a bomb on them and they won't wake up.

My brother slept through a raid on his camp in Viet Nam. He asked his roommate why he did not wake him and his roommate told him that if he was to go he wanted him to do so in peace. He told his roommate the next time, he preferred to be awake to defend himself. I come from a family of sound sleepers and believe his story was believable.

Last edited by NCN; 09-18-2012 at 08:56 PM..

Old 09-20-2012, 05:52 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,964,709 times
I read an article recently. It said nothing of blood dna. It said hair dna that did not match the family's was found in the house and that a woman came forward who said she could no longer live with the guilt, that she was the woman in the floppy hat and she was at the house but she was so high on drugs that she does not remember what transpired. She said this to the police, I believe and I think she may have since died with no one taking a sample of her hair.

I don't think there will be another trial, but all I can say is that a jury found him guilty and juries have been known to screw up in the past.

Old 09-21-2012, 06:58 AM

Yes, juries have been wrong in the past. But DNA is not a gold standard that all crime needs to be solved on. There is common sense too. McDonald was also a drug user, of speed. Which can increase rage. He also took steroids, which was brought up during the trial. That is a lethal combination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime