U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 09:32 PM

7,860 posts, read 12,618,483 times

Advertisements

Years and years ago , there was a case on Long Island of a young mother who murdered her two children. Mary Higgins Clark based her first novel on this , Where are the Children? .

I am pretty sure that she was released from prison (she wouldn't be today) and is living scott-free in Arizona or some place.
Does anyone else remember this very very sad story?

Be kinder than necessary for everyone is fighting some kind of battle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2010, 11:08 AM

3,729 posts, read 8,176,609 times
I remember the story (as I was living on LI at the time) although my memories are vague after all these years. Was her husband involved? (I sort of rem. a witness seeing them being carried in the middle of the nite), I think someone had to help carry the kids' bodies to wherever they were found.
PS I like MHC too, have read several of her books including that one

Old 07-24-2010, 01:30 PM

11,098 posts, read 9,736,383 times
Yes I remember the case of Alice Crimmens, It happened in the mid 1960s in Kew Gardens NY
Not really Long Island, in the borough of Queens. She had 2 children a boy and a girl. Supposedly someone broke into the sliding glass door at the back of the garden apartment.
My mom and her friends were talking about it on the beach in hushed tones as I pretended to make sand castles and eaves dropped.
She was a divorced waitress, lower class with overly teased hair,and wore too much black eyeliner. She had a boy friend. Not sure if the boyfriend was implicated or not - but in the "court of moms" they wanted to get rid of her kids from her first marriage. One of those.
I will find out more.

Old 07-25-2010, 04:22 PM

452 posts, read 444,441 times
How the Alice Crimins case compares to the Darleen Ruttier, of Texas, and the Susan Smith case?

Old 07-25-2010, 04:49 PM
Status: "so confused at my state of confusion" (set 10 days ago)

8,063 posts, read 8,291,710 times
Oh boy that is another one for the record books darleen ruttier of texas . I always thought she posed as strange and I think alot of that got her convicted too . The way she would go to the cemetery and shoot silly string like it was a celebration of her sons life but really it looked like she was celebrating that he was dead . I will never understand these types of women . I really wont .

Old 07-26-2010, 12:37 AM

7,860 posts, read 12,618,483 times
The strange thing is that she was found guilty and then she was actually released from prison after serving a relatively short sentence. I guess in the sixties children were considered more fungible than they are now. She would never get out of jail today.

Be kinder than necessary for everyone is fighting some kind of battle.

Old 07-26-2010, 06:36 AM

11,020 posts, read 15,710,877 times
I googled..she was paroled and remarried supposedly living on LI and Boca raton FL
She was born in 1939 so she would be about 71 years old now,some of the articles said her second husband is now deceased.....

I remember this case all though I was just a kid.

Old 07-26-2010, 03:20 PM

11,098 posts, read 9,736,383 times
I was a kid too so my memory is scetchy about this too. She was a coctail waitress with big teased haie and a lot of make up. She had what was called a "bad reputation." back then and from what I have read she seems to have earned it. Her husband Edmund Crimmins and she were estranged. They had two children Eddie 5 and Missy 4. She claimed they were kidnapped from her garden apartment on or around July 15th 1965. The cookholded Mr. Crimmins so distrusted his wife that he had her phone tapped. They lived in the Regal Garden Apartments in either Kew Gardens or Rego Park.

A neighbor woman saw a man a woman and a young child carrying a bundle - presumably Missy. When the man tossed the bundle into the back seat the woman said "Don't toss her around like that"
pr something close. The connection was made that the little boy was Eddie.

She served very little time and I think her boy friend had mob ties.

She seems like a predecessor of the Diane Downes Darlie Routtier Susan Smith school of mother hood,

How nuch time did Crimmins serve?

Old 07-26-2010, 11:21 PM

6,521 posts, read 4,425,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Years and years ago , there was a case on Long Island of a young mother who murdered her two children. Mary Higgins Clark based her first novel on this , Where are the Children? .

I am pretty sure that she was released from prison (she wouldn't be today) and is living scott-free in Arizona or some place.
Does anyone else remember this very very sad story?
The Alice Crimmins Case — Genesis of a Sensation — Crime Library on truTV.com

Old 07-27-2010, 06:35 AM

11,020 posts, read 15,710,877 times
I read that yesterday and in today's world if convicted of killing her kids she would not be out of jail so fast. In today's world that trial which left many doubts would not of happened..she was more on trial for her life style
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime