Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 06:24 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,726,919 times

Advertisements

He received a 20 year to life sentence and has been in jail for 29 years.....somehow I'm thinking if Yoko has anything to say about it he's going to be denied again...

Man who murdered John Lennon up for parole again - CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 08:47 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,654,429 times
I remember the day it happened--I was driving to a college class. What a terrible shame and waste. The crazies are out there and people in high-profile are at a higher risk.

Old 07-28-2010, 01:11 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,471,504 times
I hope that will never happen - for his own safety. We lived a few blocks from The Dakota when Lennon was shot. Word passed incredibly fast. It was like there was some sort of pall cast over the neighborhood...
It would be mistake for Chapman to be released, imo.

Old 07-28-2010, 02:10 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,083,908 times
I know a girl who said that they lived near the area and her last name at the time was chapman and these reporters started calling her and wanting to know if she was a sister or related to mark david chapman in any way ? she was like wth? she had not been aware of what had happened and she was wondering why she was getting all these calls and she got to work and the phone was ringing off the hook . Someone at work asked her the same thing if she was related to the chapmans and she said why ? and someone at work told her what had happened and she was like omg . she did not answer her phone for almost a yr after that . Nope no freedom for murderers and that is what he is a murderer .

Old 07-28-2010, 10:11 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,555,340 times
He'll live like a prisoner in or out of prison....I have my doubts he'll be granted parole now or 10yrs from now.

Old 07-28-2010, 10:20 PM

1,378 posts, read 4,362,406 times
Would people be this upset if they wanted to parole somebody for killing a random person 30 years ago?

I'm not advocating he be paroled, I'm just asking.

Old 07-28-2010, 10:57 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,555,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongtimeBravesFan View Post
Would people be this upset if they wanted to parole somebody for killing a random person 30 years ago?

I'm not advocating he be paroled, I'm just asking.
Its not simply bc of who he killed, hes a sociopath who killed.

So what your asking is ...should sociopathic killers be released on parole...NO.

Heres what he told Larry King 12yrs into his sentence:
http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIP...0/lklw.00.html
MARK DAVID CHAPMAN, JOHN LENNON'S ASSASSIN: Well, Larry, I'm well now. I've had a number of years of wellness. I feel good. There's always been things inside of me that I wanted to get and tell me why I did what I did.

Sociopaths aren't curable..do you believe him

Last edited by virgode; 07-28-2010 at 11:07 PM..

Old 07-28-2010, 11:07 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,303,039 times
Just a couple of comments:

1. I frequently see these kinds of postings here whenever someone involved in a murder that got in the media comes up. I would say the reaction invariably is that the person shouldn't be paroled because they committed murder. The problem is that is not what the law provides or intends. The person wouldn't be getting a parole hearing if the sentence of "life without parole" had been given.

2. Its expensive to keep someone in prison and there are situations where these perpetrators truly are not a danger to society because of age, infirmity, disease, and/or the degree of supervision that is contemplated. Most of us already think our taxes are too high.

3. The parole board is legally obligated to consider factors OTHER THAN THE CRIME COMMITTED. It is legally obligated to consider how the prisoner did while he/she was incarcerated. In some cases, we have inmates who were never a problem during the entire 25-30 years they were incarcerated, made efforts towards rehabilitation, show genuine remorse for their crimes, and have obtained both education and work skills during the time they were in jail. You can make all kinds of arguments that the victim never got the same chance, but the point is that alone is not the only factor to be considered in determining whether such an inmate gets parole.

I'm not saying that Chapman or anyone else per se should be paroled. I'd want to consider each case on its individual merits. What I am saying is that a "knee jerk" attitude that none of these people should ever be paroled doesn't consider that the law says something different. It also may lead to wasteful decisions to keep some inmates in jail who pose no threat to society.

Old 07-30-2010, 01:59 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Chapman shot John Lennon in cold blood. He then sat down a began reading a book. I do not want that man out on the streets where he could repeat his "performance". And I'd say the same even if he'd murdered someone I'd never heard of.

Old 07-31-2010, 07:44 AM

26,727 posts, read 26,806,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Chapman shot John Lennon in cold blood. He then sat down a began reading a book. I do not want that man out on the streets where he could repeat his "performance".
I thought Chapman was mentally ill; e.g. he heard voices. Didn't he suffer from untreated paranoid schizophrenia? Not an excuse to kill, obviously. I thought "in cold blood" meant premeditated killing, ruthless and without emotion. It doesn't sound as if Chapman was a sociopath. But I agree with you that regardless of intent, he shouldn't be out on the streets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime