Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 05:13 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,964,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
I have had my car window smashed and a lot of valuables taken while moving. We stopped off in Amarillo TX for a margarita and met some guys who asked us to go play pool. We agreed and wouldn't you know it, smashed window with all the cards, letters, poems of my life taken. That was many years ago. Why didn't they just take the stereo and TV and leave it at that? My friend had a feeling and ran out to the car and sure enough.

Yesterday there was a stabbing two blocks down the road from me and I live in a nice and safe neighborhood. Even though the victims knew the perps, I still am very wary. I always keep my doors locked during the day and night and do not answer the doorbell if it rings, unless I am expecting someone. I just ignore it. One can never be too careful in this day and age and with the economy as it is.

I've thought about getting a gun (single woman living alone) but honestly don't want one in the house. This may change at some point. Once my alarm started beeping so I called the cops and it took them 10 minutes to get here. I'd be dead IOW if I ever had to rely on 911. And the cops asked me a question which still creeps me out...do you have a pool in your backyard? I do. Since that would be my escape route (most likely), I wonder why they asked me that question. Can anyone think why they'd ask me that question?
I'd be concerned about not answering the door because if they want to rob a house they will be looking for one in which no one will be home.

They used to just call numbers out of the phone book to see what time no one answers and plan robberies for them. Cell phones really put a damper on robbers. If I see a car on the street with someone just sitting in it for a long time and I don't recognize them I call the police, but I am in a very residential neighborhood.

Often, if they see a car in the driveway they assume you are home. But if you keep the car in the driveway they will also know when you leave, no?

My house is two story and if someone rings the bell I just answer from a top window and will not go down and open the door. Thank goodness for cell phones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime