U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 10:17 AM

10,890 posts, read 9,067,869 times
Default Pamela Smart N.H. teacher who had her husband killed.

Yet another late 1980s crime. Does anyone remember this one? She had her insurance executive husband killed by students of hers, one with whom she was carrying on an affair. High School students.
I am not sure if I remember how they killed the poor guy but it was pretty brutal.
What ever happened to her? Is she still doing time?I hope so.
The Pamela Smart casr was yet another immortalized in the late great made for TV docudrama genre which fad it's hey day in the 1980 and early to mid 90s.
I hope Smart is NEVER granted parole!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 10:33 AM

4,965 posts, read 4,815,106 times
I saw the made for TV movie. It was pretty good. She seems like as cold and calculating a murderer as they ever get. You could feel, literally, ice running through her veins.
I got the feeling she had no remorse at all. Just wanted to get rid of her husband. You do wonder what ingredients go into a psychopath. Her upbringing didn't seem too significant as far as trauma goes. I saw her mother on one of those crime shows, defending her, of course, but didn't seem like she came from a real "bad" family.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:37 AM

13,219 posts, read 7,664,479 times
I remember when this happened. Being "next door" in Mass. it was a pretty big news story. I do believe she is still in jail. I don't think she will get paroled any time soon.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:45 AM

6,151 posts, read 5,433,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
I remember when this happened. Being "next door" in Mass. it was a pretty big news story. I do believe she is still in jail. I don't think she will get paroled any time soon.
She will never get out.

What a mess!

Pam Smart

Quote:
Convicted for the murder of her husband Gregg Smart in 1990, Pamela Ann (nče Wojas) Smart was sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole. Her trial made national headlines at the time and still hits the newspapers with some regularity.

Old 08-18-2010, 12:04 PM

27,357 posts, read 20,689,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Yes, I do remember this story. Our news outlets followed it down here in New Jersey also.

Forgot about this one.

Does anyone watch the Investigation Discovery channel? They have a series called Deadly Women about female murderers. The commercials for it and the song on the commercials are great (in a sick sort of way.)

It scares my daughter that I love those shows. I forgot to tell her they have a new series called Mothers Who Murder.

Old 08-18-2010, 02:22 PM

I love I.D. and I watch it all the time. My daughter is creeped out also that I enjoy it so much.
I am looking forward to Mothers Who Murder too! When does it air?

Pam Smart defiantly was one cold and calculating woman. Good thing SHE never had kids!
BTW her parents stood by her and still do to this day.
And you wonder why certain people feel such feeling of narcissism and entitlement? Well heres my 2 cents - the parent give them constant adulation and see their kids as flawless and perfect. It's always the other kid who was the bad influence because their little darlings are so perfect.
Right. Perfect little monsters.

Old 08-18-2010, 09:05 PM

3,970 posts, read 6,164,096 times
Gregg Smart was only 24 when he was killed, so he didn't have time to become an "executive." But Pam wasn't the only cold and calculating individual in this sordid tale. You have to wonder about the soul of a 15-year-old who was able to ambush and slash the throat of anybody, let alone a person not much different than him, and not sweat it afterwards. What happened to the juvies who actually did the deed? It wouldn't surprise me if they were imprisoned only until they reached the age of 18 or 21. And they probably got all kinds of good recognition while they were "inside."

For some years, friends of mine had a small lakeside cabin in New Hampshire that was a popular summertime destination. To get there you'd drive right past the state prison for women. All of the younger people (that is to say teens) would "wave to Pam Smart" as the car went by. Small wonder that these kinds of crimes take place, when everybody acts all dismayed and disgusted but then turns around and makes the perpetrators cult figures and watches anything about them on TV. I guess it's "morbid fascination," and I'm far from totally innocent of that myself. But the consequence ends up being that somebody somewhere sees a ticket to fame in carrying out a criminal plot.
Anyway..."Pame" was transferred out of that particular jail some time ago and is probably in a federal lock-up today.

Old 08-18-2010, 11:38 PM

She is in Bedford. In NY.

Old 08-19-2010, 12:10 PM

2,019 posts, read 2,547,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
Gregg Smart was only 24 when he was killed, so he didn't have time to become an "executive." But Pam wasn't the only cold and calculating individual in this sordid tale. You have to wonder about the soul of a 15-year-old who was able to ambush and slash the throat of anybody, let alone a person not much different than him, and not sweat it afterwards.
Smart was not stabbed. He was shot once in the head. The two murderers considered stabbing him but Pam didn't want them to get blood on her white leather sofa. Also, according to Patrick Randall who had the knife in his hand he "just couldn't do it" so Flynn pulled out the gun and shot him. Just clarifying.

Quote:
What happened to the juvies who actually did the deed? It wouldn't surprise me if they were imprisoned only until they reached the age of 18 or 21. And they probably got all kinds of good recognition while they were "inside."
The killer, William Flynn and his accomplice in the condo, Patrick Randall were given 40 year sentences with 12 years deferred. The getaway car driver was given 30 years with 12 deferred and got out of prison a couple of years ago.

Flynn has been a model inmate, never got into any trouble and in January of 2008 went before a board to decide if he would get an early release. He is also married.

William Flynn Wants Reduced Sentence For Killing Pam Smart's Husband - wbztv.com (http://wbztv.com/local/william.flynn.pam.2.637740.html - broken link)

He was remorseful and Smart's father felt bad for him but said he did not think he had served enough time for killing his son. Mr. Smart told him that he would agree if Flynn was set free when he reaches 40 years of age. He is now 35 years old.

There are two books about this case: Deadly Lessons by Ken Englade which is a quick read and Teach Me to Kill by Steven Sawicki which goes way more in depth about all involved and the trial. Two must reads in my opinion.

Edited to add: Pam was not a teacher. She was a school administrator who was at a school board meeting to decide if she would get to teach a media course that following fall while her husband was being killed.

Edited one final time to add that both books I mention can be had for a penny each plus shipping at amazon

Last edited by cleasach; 08-19-2010 at 12:27 PM..

Old 08-19-2010, 07:03 PM

27,357 posts, read 20,689,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I love I.D. and I watch it all the time. My daughter is creeped out also that I enjoy it so much.
I am looking forward to Mothers Who Murder too! When does it air?

Pam Smart defiantly was one cold and calculating woman. Good thing SHE never had kids!
BTW her parents stood by her and still do to this day.
And you wonder why certain people feel such feeling of narcissism and entitlement? Well heres my 2 cents - the parent give them constant adulation and see their kids as flawless and perfect. It's always the other kid who was the bad influence because their little darlings are so perfect.
Right. Perfect little monsters.
I can't find it on the I.D. website, but I know I saw a commercial for it. Maybe it's called something else. I just did a search on the I.D. site for "mothers", though, and I got videos about animals.

Will look some more...

That makes sense about how the people get to be the way they are. I read a book by a profiler recently, and I want to read more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime