Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 09:28 AM

3,569 posts, read 7,197,612 times

Advertisements

Have we all learned to ignore and accept murders in some neighborhoods as normal?
There has been lots of brutal murders and they are not payed much attention.

In chicago there was. 14 year old shot 22 times and the story didn't make much news.
There's been kids beaten with bats, burned purposly run over, etc. Etc. No one seems to care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 12:06 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,984,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
Have we all learned to ignore and accept murders in some neighborhoods as normal?

In chicago there was. 14 year old shot 22 times and the story didn't make much news.
There's been kids beaten with bats, burned purposly run over, etc. Etc. No one seems to care.
Was the 14 year a gang member or drug dealer? Having read many Chicago, Detroit and Philadelphia newspapers it seems that the innercity murders that get reported are when an innocent is killed. Most cops, reporters and people in general could care less when a gangbanger dies.

There's so much crime in Chicago. They might also sweep some crimes under the carpet for image reasons. When I lived in the area it seemed like crime reporting in Chicago didn't go hand in hand with the hard numbers. I think a lot of cities are like that. Could you imagine Chicago and Detroit paper running a story for evey violent crime? There wouldn't be room for anything else. Sad but true.

Old 09-11-2010, 09:35 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,148,897 times
It would also be bad publicity for the city. Imagine if the Chicago [DC, LA, St. Louis etc.] papers reported properly on all these crimes and deaths, gave the victims their due space they each deserve as human beings. No tourist would ever book into that city again.

(I think the New Orleans Times-Picayune at least reports each crime still, though it's a small city.)

It's also possible no reporter wants/would be allowed to go into some of those neighborhoods, for whatever reason.

Big disservice to everyone if you ask me.

Old 09-11-2010, 08:22 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,205,058 times
Inner city murders are rather common and do not rank nearly as newsworthy as a murder in an upscale neighborhood where murder is uncommon.

Old 09-15-2010, 07:22 AM

24,100 posts, read 32,460,014 times
I agree with the OP. Excessive police force is constantly employed in poorer inner city areas. This would not be tolerated in the suburbs. I live in a well off "burb with it's share of drugs using, obnoxious, teenagers. I have two very open teens who tell all.
The difference?
Their parents are doctors so the drugs are legal. They steel pads.
Or there parents are lawyers and it any one touched their little white darlings there would be a law suit. Or both.
If they get in trouble - they get off or are sent to boarding school. They get good lawyers and get off.
There young lives usually end up coming together - because their parents have money and they do not go to jail so they do not get further involved with the criminal element.

Very unfair but true.

Also White people tend not to care as much about crimes commuted against non white people.

Case in point - the attention given to Natalee Hollaway as opposed to Matrice Richardson.

Old 09-15-2010, 07:30 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
No one seems to care.
Wrong. Lots of people care.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:15 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,778,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I agree with the OP. Excessive police force is constantly employed in poorer inner city areas. This would not be tolerated in the suburbs. I live in a well off "burb with it's share of drugs using, obnoxious, teenagers. I have two very open teens who tell all.
The difference?
Their parents are doctors so the drugs are legal. They steel pads.
Or there parents are lawyers and it any one touched their little white darlings there would be a law suit. Or both.
If they get in trouble - they get off or are sent to boarding school. They get good lawyers and get off.
There young lives usually end up coming together - because their parents have money and they do not go to jail so they do not get further involved with the criminal element.

Very unfair but true.

Also White people tend not to care as much about crimes commuted against non white people.

Case in point - the attention given to Natalee Hollaway as opposed to Matrice Richardson.

Really, and blacks care when whites are crime victims? Sounds like a load of liberal white guilt. Not all of those white Long Island teens are children of doctors and lawyers. Not even most. Just like not all of the black or latin teens who get into trouble are from broken homes and poor families.

Historically, big cities have always been higher in violent crime. Dating back to the early 1900's when many of the big cities were populated by Irish, Italians, Jews, etc. No one cared when one Irish thug knocked off another. In the eyes of the public, it came with the territory. So long as they were killing each other no one really blinked. If you live by the bullet, you'll die by the bullet. Police departments don't have the resources to prevent many of the crimes that take place in big cities. They also have their hands tied today more than ever.

Chicago is the one of the most violent cities in the country, it's also the President's favorite and former stomping ground. Are we to believe that he doesn't care if blacks are being killed at a higher rate than in any other city? Fact is, he can't do much if anything to turn it around, neither can Chicago's mayor. Regardless of political affiliation, no one is going to make a difference, left or right.

We have a thug/gang culture in this country, and unless you post a cop on every damn block in the city, you aren't going to see a difference. Even then, any time there is an arrest made, out comes the cell phone camera's and the slightest deviation from textbook arrest procedures is captured and posted to Youtube. Cops are reluctant to engage with criminals or suspects because their hands are tied and they can lose their jobs in the blink of an eye if the poor suspect gets hurt during an arrest while resisting or assaulting the officer. Criminals know what they can get away with. Factor in the percentage of corrupt cops and you have a recipe for high crime stats.

Enforce the laws already in place, and stop electing corrupt politicians and lawmakers who won't do more to stop the flow of drugs coming into this country. Crime is money, and not just for the street level hoods either. It starts way at the top with these fat corrupt Senators and Congressmen.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:44 AM

88,563 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:

Some people do care. There is a small city near where I live that is mainly a slummy area, and it seems that every other week some teenager gets shot and killed by another teenager. There are also articles about efforts by groups there to provide leadership and alternatives to the kids to guns and gangs. I applaud such efforts.

I think some of the disconnect may just be that people in other areas, myself included, cannot understand why people continue to raise their children in such hellholes in the first place. In my imagination, I would think that I would do everything possible, make every sacrifice I could, to get my child out of that environment because I'd know from the day he left my womb that there's a pretty good chance that he has no future if I stay where I am.

Of course, my imagination has never had to live under those conditions in the first place, and I know that. I also like the saying that you aren't going to escape from a dungeon if you don't realize that you are in one in the first place.

But there's your answer as to why some people just don't seem to care. Perhaps some look at the people who live in the inner city and think, "if THEY don't care about themselves, why should we?"

Old 09-15-2010, 06:31 PM

24,100 posts, read 32,460,014 times
OK well I will respond to Coolhand68 first - so here goes:
1. In the first paragraph I am accused of suffering from "liberal white guilt" Actually "a load of liberal white guilt." To some conservatives, any compassion extended toward people of another race is seen as stemming from some sort of "white guilt." And because I feel strongly that our criminal justice system is badly flawed on many levels - one of which is monetary - I must have this awful curse of "white guilt." Right. But OJ Simpson bought his way out of a murder rap with a dream team of attorneys and he is black And was guilty in my estimation, and rich. the operative color hear is "green". And while not all black people are poor, many are lower income.
I feel guilty about nothing. I am not a fan of needless and brutal violence as described by the OP.
I do not particularly care if the criminal/victim is a gang member or a drug user.
I AM A MOM and that is a 14 year old child!
2. In paragraphs 2 and three you state correctly that "there is more crime in big cities". Well that's a no brainer. Then some how you point out Chicago as "being a very violent city." , then somehow you drag the President into this because he likes Chicago? WTH???
So big deal. This is strange but a certain pattern is beginning to emerge
3. My background is in sociology specifically social psychology. People of ALL RACES do tend to be more concerned when the victim "looks more like themselves." No white bashing here.
3. No not all of Long Island teens are the daughter's of doctors and lawyers. I was referring to my home town of stony Brook L.I. NY and the adjoining towns of Setauket and Old Field which comprise the Three Village School district. In this school district a starter house goes for 500 grand. and no that's not where the really wealthy live but with homes that expensive I doubt bail and a good attorney would be a problem for any young person in that area.
4. You go on to state that we "live in a gang culture." WHO lives in a gang culture? I don't.
Poverty and crime go hand and hand without regard to race.
It is a sad situation but it really is too large to address in a forum.

As for calling me a "liberal' all I can say is "thanks!"
I am a proud progressive who rarely looks to the past for solutions.

We have gangs now yes but we also have hate groups. Does your deep consern extend to neo nazi white supremacist as well as inner city gangs?

Old 09-16-2010, 09:37 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,174,310 times
Quote:
14 year old shot 22 times
It isn't a racial issue.
It isn't a location issue.
It isn't a political issue.

It is a child that was brutally murdered because he was born into a poor family and was growing up in a really crappy part of town. It isn't fair. It isn't right. Just because you live in a lower income area doesn't mean you shouldn't be safe or at least protected in some way. However, instead of giving these areas more law enforcement, law enforcement is being cut because of lack of funding.
Where in God's name are our priorities as people and a society??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime