U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 11:26 PM

11,102 posts, read 9,755,798 times

Advertisements

With CPS you have to call reprtedly.
If you know something is really wrong - keep calling.
These people - child abusers are very adept at covering up what they are doing once or twice. Repeted calls - especially from several people work.
They will slip up sooner or later.
CPS or what ever it is called in your state is far from perfect.
I once had to call 18 times! The "mother" finally stabbed the live in boyfriend after a drug fueled argument.
Only then were the children reoved.

BTW I am in no way advocating the use of cps or any other governental agency to harras a person - if they have abused a child call until you get action.

In that case I would have called the police and the press.

More than hearing aids that little girl needed her life!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2010, 12:04 AM

1,356 posts, read 1,176,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Ten year old Zahra Clare Baker had a lot to deal with in life. Raveged by bone cancer she was left hearing impared - she wore two hearing aids , and lost part of her leg to cancer. She wore a prosthetic leg.

People knew she was being mistreated and abused, People who knew the "family" say that she was often locked in her room for days, beaten and severely punished for minor "infractions."

Once at a funraiser to provide the little girl with the hearing aids, a friend noticed that the step mother's hand was bruised and swollen. She said she incurred the injury while spanking little Zahara - she missed and hit her prosthetic leg! This would be enough for me to call CPS!

The little girl was missing for over a month but no one really noticed because Zahara was so often locked away!

This loser was arrested for writing bad checks, driving without a license and criminal harrasment.
Besides apparent child abuse Elisa Baker had other hobbies. Pathological lying and extreen hypochondta.
She told people that she was diagnosed with mysterious mortal illness and never died, Also that she was a song writer.
Right.

Cadaver searching dogs found evidence of the smell of human remains in the cars of both the stepmother and biologival father,
The family lived a strange and transient existance moving often. They were estranged from many extended family members.

It is believed that a ransom note was written to the employer of Zahra's father demandin a million dollars - yet was not followd by a kidnapping.
Hmmm.

I don't know about you but this is one case that makes me furious!
The father seemed clueless and may be complicite. Eveery one in the area knew something was going on.
The ransom note, the beatings, the child's confinement to the home and her un reported maltreatment,

There are shades of JonBenet Ramsey and Sylvia Likens.

Any thoughts?
Also reminds me of Shaniya Davis, the little 5 year old girl in Fayetteville. Mom pimped her out, she got killed. That haunts me to this day. In news photos, her smile was a lot like my younger daughter.

Old 10-21-2010, 02:29 PM

12,822 posts, read 9,092,607 times
It wasn't enough that the child had to suffer the daily challenges of life but had to die at the hands of abusive caregivers.

Old 10-25-2010, 05:56 PM

35,000 posts, read 23,223,702 times
Default Zahra Baker, 10, of Hickory, NC

Ten-year-old Zahra Baker of North Carolina, last seen in public Sept. 25. Zahra lost her leg and her hearing to cancer. Her two hearing aids and her prosthetic leg were left at home when she disappeared. Her stepmother wrote a fake ransom note. Neighbors suspected the little girl was being beaten. The story is confusing to me but these articles fill in the background pretty well. This beautiful child!

Until she was arrested regarding the ransom note, this stepmother apparently would start relationships with men on the Internet to get money from them. When arrested she was in the midst of one with a man in London who had sent her $10K over the last year.

Oct. 12: Zahra Baker Update: Missing Case Turns into Homicide Investigation - Crimesider - CBS News

Oct. 16: Zahra Baker Case: Police Search for Missing North Carolina 10-Year-Old

Oct. 17: Timeline in the disappearance of Zahra Baker | Hickory Daily Record (http://www2.hickoryrecord.com/news/2010/oct/17/timeline-disappearance-zahra-baker-ar-463261/ - broken link)

Oct. 21: Zahra Baker's stepsister: Don't free my mother - CharlotteObserver.com (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/10/21/1773427/911-calls-give-parents-version.html - broken link)

Oct. 23: Needle in a haystack: Police searching for Zahra Baker examine mattresses found in a landfill | Mail Online

Oct. 25: Father of Missing North Carolina Girl Arrested - FoxNews.com (arrested on unrelated charges.)

Old 10-25-2010, 07:12 PM

3,730 posts, read 8,185,330 times
There's already several threads about Zahra, do a search and they'll come up.

Old 10-25-2010, 07:18 PM

35,000 posts, read 23,223,702 times
Oh - d'oh! Thanks.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:43 PM

No problema, it happens a lot, have done it myself ;-0. The whole thing is a darn shame and I hope both adults stay in the slammer indefinitely but sadly I doubt that'll be the case, they'll prob. get off w/ good lawyers / public defenders since there's no body and not much solid evidence. I hope Im wrong. It's just a shame, she seemed to be such a nice little girl who was dealt a tough hand - overcame those obstacles but not the looney sick parents.

Old 10-26-2010, 06:19 AM

Apparently the father was found and arrested at the international airport in NC. Sounds like he was trying to leave (alth. he claimed he was picking someone up) but apparently there are no intn'l flights at that hour (after midnite).

Zahra Baker's father arrested at airport

Old 10-26-2010, 04:17 PM

1,617 posts, read 1,632,411 times
Tragic, horrible - and I do realize we are all 'innocent before found guilty' - and here comes the however.....

I will never, absolutely never understand what makes people do such horrible things to children, I just don't get it.

Old 10-27-2010, 02:21 PM

11,102 posts, read 9,755,798 times
delusianne thanks for the helpful time line - great for people just finding out about this tragic case.

It seems as though with both parents in custody, one will likely turn states evidence against the other.

My guess? The self serving yet violent and emotionally disturbed step monster will turn on the bio dad - to save her own life.

I believe in innocent until proven guilty - but I really don't think that you have to be a criminologist to figure this one out.

The step mother sound like a manipulative psychopath whose own biological daughter feared for her life if she were released.
The father sounds like a wimp, who was for some reason enthalled with that hag of a woman instead of his beautiful hag of a wife.

They just found a mattress with DNA on it. Some are speculating that it's blood others are saying that little Zahraa's body may be stuffed inside.

I am hoping for a speedy resolution to this one!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime