Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 04:32 PM

449 posts, read 877,618 times

Advertisements

New York State has implemented a new law, along with 16 other states: Caylee's Law. Anyone that does not report a child missing, will be charged with a felony!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 05:32 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
Crazy that we need a law like this.

Old 07-11-2011, 10:37 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,275,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miranda Sebastian View Post
New York State has implemented a new law, along with 16 other states: Caylee's Law. Anyone that does not report a child missing, will be charged with a felony!!!!!!
Remember the cute thumbs up, when you, a family member, or friend has runaway child and they don't report it. You know, the 14 yr old who stays out all night, etc. And the police find her and come arrest you. Won't be thumbs up then.

Old 07-12-2011, 07:49 AM

1,899 posts, read 2,851,624 times
How long do I have before I have to report my child missing? If she goes to the store with a friend and the friend's mom, and they are 5 minutes late, do I have to report her missing? Or, is it a couple of hours? 24 hours? If my DD is spending the night at a friend's house, does the clock start ticking from the time she left my sight or at noon the next day when DD doesn't come home?

I agree with the basics of the law, but I don't see how it can be enforced fairly. There are so many exceptions that need to be taken into consideration. I just don't think it will work and a lot of innocent people will end up in jail.

Old 07-12-2011, 07:52 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Oh brother. What an idiotic move by lawmakers. Just what we need: another do nothing law to make people feel all warm and fuzzy inside. SMH

Old 07-12-2011, 08:26 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
I don't think a new law was needed, just enforcement of the existing child neglect laws already on the books. Simply more knee jerk reaction by politicians looking for a bit of limelight.

Old 07-12-2011, 01:43 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,762,019 times
It's going to be unenforceable if it passes. In a country where teenaged Christian Choate was kept outside his house in a dog crate, and beaten and starved to death without anyone noticing, how are you going to police a 2-year-old who wouldn't even be known to the school system yet?

Old 07-12-2011, 01:49 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
True, but at least it is another charge for these low life POS who throw away their kids like trash from McDonald's. After all, if no one SEES why you threw away the child, then I guess people can tell any story to get off, like "gee, the child died, and I did not know what to do so I put the kid in a trash bag"...

Old 07-12-2011, 01:50 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,762,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
True, but at least it is another charge for these low life POS who throw away their kids like trash from McDonald's. After all, if no one SEES why you threw away the child, then I guess people can tell any story to get off, like "gee, the child died, and I did not know what to do so I put the kid in a trash bag"...

Well, that story won't get you out of anything!

Old 07-12-2011, 04:11 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,184,922 times
It has been introduced, but not implemented quite yet.
Here's the verbiage thus far:

Quote:
Here’s Lanza’s release:
Senator Andrew Lanza has introduced “Caylee’s Law” in New York State which would allow prosecutors to bring felony charges against parents who do not quickly report missing children. The bill would make it a class E Felony for a parent or guardian who does not report a child in their custody missing within 24 hours of disappearance.

“In wake of the Caylee Anthony case, like many New Yorkers, I was shocked to learn that it is not a felony to fail to report your child missing,” said Senator Lanza. “When a child goes missing there is no legitimate reason not to report it. It is a well established fact that when dealing with a missing child case every moment of delay weighs negatively in the life or death outcome. It is inconceivable and dangerous that a parent or guardian would not immediately report to the authorities when their child goes missing. Not doing so should be a serious crime and this legislation would do just that in the State of New York.

According to the State Division of Criminal Justice Services, 20,309 children were reported missing in New York State in 2010. The latest statistics from the U.S. Department of Justice indicate that 797,500 children were reported missing in a one year period.

Senator Lanza has also introduced legislation that would create a felony charge for a caregiver who knowingly fails to report a child’s death or the location of a child’s body within two hours of learning such information.
Capitol Confidential » Lanza wants to see ‘Caylee’s Law’ in New York
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime