Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2011, 01:53 AM

3,037 posts, read 5,912,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Shows how alot of us are connected with murder in some way, even if in a 'friend of a friend' type way. Although I don't know someone who knows a murderer, perhaps because our murder rate is about 1/4 that of the America's?
Population plays a major part in that statistic. Although Deadalaides' crime rate has gone down some, it was ridiculous for such a small town. Still plenty of gangland style murders on a regular basis in Sydney and Melbourne too. Then you have Port Arthur, Strathfield and Surry Hills a few years back, all someone going ga-ga with a gun. I didn't know anyone from those areas personally, no. I know plenty of store owners over here who've been held up but lived to talk about it. I don't know that it's valid to compare the USA with australia in this case. YMMV, IMHO and all that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 08:08 AM

334 posts, read 527,362 times
Oh, I also knew a young man (from NY) who attempted a murder/suicide, but the woman he was trying to kill didn't die. That was a very tragic story. He was such an ambitious young man, full of potential. Good looking, smart, came from a loving family, talented, kind... at one point, I kinda had a crush on him. I'm not blaming the victim or anything, but his ex-girlfriend played a lot of games with his heart and emotions. He treated her like a queen and in return, she treated him very poorly. In the end, he snapped. He went to her house early in the morning and waited for her to leave for work, shot her right in the face, got back in his car and shot himself. He died; she didn't. But her life was never the same.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:51 AM

24,606 posts, read 55,798,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBeingMe404 View Post
Oh, I also knew a young man (from NY) who attempted a murder/suicide, but the woman he was trying to kill didn't die. That was a very tragic story. He was such an ambitious young man, full of potential. Good looking, smart, came from a loving family, talented, kind... at one point, I kinda had a crush on him. I'm not blaming the victim or anything, but his ex-girlfriend played a lot of games with his heart and emotions. He treated her like a queen and in return, she treated him very poorly. In the end, he snapped. He went to her house early in the morning and waited for her to leave for work, shot her right in the face, got back in his car and shot himself. He died; she didn't. But her life was never the same.
Reminds me of the case of Michael Telling and Monica Zumsteg. Apparently he spoilt her, she treated him like ****, he snapped and murdered her but kept her head for about a month or something after he killed her because he missed her.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:10 AM

334 posts, read 527,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Reminds me of the case of Michael Telling and Monica Zumsteg. Apparently he spoilt her, she treated him like ****, he snapped and murdered her but kept her head for about a month or something after he killed her because he missed her.
OMGness! He kept her head??!!!! Wow.

This particular case was especially sad because the girl (I had met her a few times) had a beautiful daughter who really loved the guy (he wasn't her father, he was just engaged to her mother). He was very good to both mother and daughter. She ended up in a coma, and when she woke up, she was partially blind, and partially paralyzed, and had a lot of neurological damage. She had to learn to walk, talk, feed herself and everything... spent over a year in the hospital and in-patient rehab. If I remember correctly, her daughter was right there when she got shot. I think she was about to take the little girl to school. This was about 10 years ago, so my memory is kind of fuzzy.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:49 PM

1,943 posts, read 3,321,792 times
Yeah I know about 7 people who were murdered and I knew 5 of the murderers. None, were family members just friends and associates.

Including a very recent one.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:54 PM

175 posts, read 649,730 times
Yes as a matter of fact i do, a ten year old mixed race kid who was raised in absolute hell, lived in the hood of tampa fl, and had many drug dealers after him because of his mother who to him, was considered a "rock ho". I saved this kid for a while, letting him stay with me after his mama, who was killed from the gangbangers who were after him., not going to get into too much of that. His name was acey, theres so much more to tell, but i cant write this without crying, but i was driving him home oneday, and he got shot in the stomach w/o me knowing. He died in front of my eyes. I was so upset i couldnt get a hold of myself.

See ya in tha crossroads dog....

ThTs my story

Old 05-12-2015, 08:16 AM

1,188 posts, read 1,398,856 times
I had a cousin who murdered in Chicago just before Christmas in 1991. He and another man were arguing over a woman and the man shot him.

My half-brother shot and killed a store owner in Chicago. He's doing 25 to life.

Old 05-12-2015, 08:25 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,867,153 times
My ex-BIL murdered his gf and critically wounded her "guest" in 2012. He was just sentenced to 30 years a couple of months ago. I really liked the guy, and was sad and disappointed when he and my sister divorced. I believe the crime was a crime of passion, and apparently so did the Texas Department of Criminal Justice, because that's a very light sentence for such a serious crime in this state. He stabbed the girlfriend to death when he dropped by on a surprise visit and found her in bed with another man

Old 05-12-2015, 09:47 AM

5 posts, read 13,790 times
Exclamation Ex-bf

In 2012, one of my ex-boyfriends killed a coworker in a disagreement over a woman they were both dating. Thankfully, he & I broke up in 1997. Here is some information about it:

[URL]http://myfox8.com/2012/08/14/police-investgate-shooting-at-high-point-pizza-shop/[/URL]

Last edited by Glam Goth; 05-12-2015 at 09:49 AM.. Reason: Corrected link

Old 05-12-2015, 08:19 PM

310 posts, read 1,695,450 times
Default 3 Murders--

1. When I was in high school, one of my classmates was a girl whose father was killed by her mother, think it was a gun murder. Remember that at the time, this girl was living with her father but don't think she was a witness to the killing. The parents were either separated or going thru a bad divorce, their marriage had been very acrimonious. Not really sure now how I knew about that, but used to hear this girl speaking very critically about her mother while always speaking up for her father.

Still remember how shocked I was when first heard about this event, guess it was on the news & the next day the teachers at school told us what had happened & why she wasn't in class. Never saw her again, think she went to live w/ relatives in another city. She was an only child w/ no siblings, always wondered how she was affected by all that trauma. Ironically, I had always been envious of her because she was one of the most "popular" girls in in school (despite the fact that she had one leg that was "shriveled", apparently since birth, but never heard anyone being mean or ridiculing her about it, no one ever mentioned it.)

2. A few years later in the same Western NY State city, a young female co-worker of mine was murdered by her husband. Didn't know her that well, she was just another cashier at the small locally-owned supermarket where I worked for about a year. And her murder occurred shortly after the store had been set on fire the same night it was broken into & burglarized. That was shocking enough-- all of us lost our jobs & went on unemployment. Apparently, it was an "inside job"-- her husband & another guy (who both also worked at the store) were suspected of committing both the burglary & the arson (done to destroy evidence from the break-in/burglary?)

Then I remember hearing that she & her husband were suspected of stealing money from the store even before the burglary/arson (she had recently started working in the store office and he & the other guy worked stocking shelves.) Also found out afterwards that supposedly, this woman had been physically abused by her husband on a longterm basis before he killed her (she had always worn a lot of makeup over her bruises, heard this from a friend of mine who also worked in the store.) Remember thinking-- she was a pretty young woman with lots of options, with her whole life ahead of her, why did she stay with him? why did she put up with it?? (all this happened in the 70s, just before spousal abuse became a talked-about national issue.) Plus, was she murdered because of inside info she knew about the theft/burglary/arson?

3. Over ten years later in the late 80s, I found out that my cousin Tina (in her mid-20s) had been murdered in NYC. She had always lived in a wealthy area on Long Island, where she was born & grew up w/ her family, my uncle, aunt & two two older brothers (my other cousins.) They were a well-off family but by her mid-teens, Tina was the rebellious "Wild Child", had gotten into trouble w/ running away, drugs & older men. Remember seeing her at her brother's wedding in the early 80s when she was in her late teens, she was there w/ her much older boyfriend, both of them wearing "Goth" or "Punk" getups, crazy color hair, wild haircuts, maybe tattoos and piercings? She definitely stood out from all the other conservatively dressed family members & guests! It probably was Tina's intention to shock them as much as possible... and it worked, but they just seemed embarrassed by her, like they just wanted to separate themselves from her...

But I remembered another Tina-- when she was a young teen, she just seemed very sweet & friendly... and she always looked up to one of my younger sisters who was just a few yrs older than her. At the same time, seemed like she was so often called "stupid" by her family & either ignored or teased badly by her older brothers. But she just seemed like a normal young girl to me. Of course, I never knew the whole story, but my younger sister, the one closer to her age, used to tell me how miserable Tina was, how much she wanted to get away from her family. I probably thought she was just going thru the usual teenage rebellion, especially since she grew up in a high-achieving family with so much pressure to do well & fit in...

Well, at the time of her murder in the late 80s, what I heard was that she was living on her own in a horrible high-crime area in NYC, had been estranged from her family for years, was doing lots of drugs & maybe also selling drugs & working as a stripper or occasional prostitute, when a friend reported her missing, hadn't heard from or seen her for a while. I was living in Western NY State & hadn't thought about Tina for a long time when my father told me that her body had been found in a field near LaGuardia Airport-- she was nude and had been either stabbed or strangled, also might have been sexually assaulted before she was killed. (Was it a "customer" or "john" who did this?) Hey, no matter how high-risk a life she was living, no one deserves to end up that way..

As far as I know, her murder was never solved, the killer never caught. It still feels weird that I had a cousin who was murdered, attacked and left to die in a field near the airport... Feel so sad when I think about this lost "Wild Child"...

Last edited by newbie09; 05-12-2015 at 08:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime