Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 08:47 PM

14,418 posts, read 22,361,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
Come to think of it, I know someone (a former Seal and Vietnam vet) who once killed another guy in a bar fight. Not exactly murder....he broke the other guy's neck.

It would be called second degree murder or manslaughter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2011, 09:13 PM

6,926 posts, read 6,529,028 times
A friend of mine was in a bar drinking when a cop came in. They exchanged words and my friend punched him in the face. The officer fell and hit his head. He was in a coma for 1 and 1/2 years and then died.

He was charged with manslaughter because of the time lapse of his death. I still consider this murder thou.

Old 01-02-2011, 10:39 PM

14,418 posts, read 22,361,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopedelivers View Post
A friend of mine was in a bar drinking when a cop came in. They exchanged words and my friend punched him in the face. The officer fell and hit his head. He was in a coma for 1 and 1/2 years and then died.

He was charged with manslaughter because of the time lapse of his death. I still consider this murder thou.

Well, first degree murder is when you are killing we intent to murder somebody. Your ex-friend did not intend to kill anybody. right? That is why manslaughter is a better punishment.

Old 01-03-2011, 02:42 AM

1,881 posts, read 3,337,949 times
my neighbor's granddaughter, who i used to play with as a child, was on her way back from alabama one time when she was a teen and apparently picked up a hitchhiker. her body was found in the woods a few days later, stabbed 13 times, sexually assaulted and eaten by dogs.

another friend of mine, an ex of a really good friend, dated a racist skinhead and was strangled to death by him after she told him she was pregnant. she was just a tiny, tiny thing too, 4 feet high and a very sweet girl.
another guy i knew was strangled in an alley and its still unsolved.

i know a girl in passing here in my city who was picked up by the green river killer back in the eighties, and lived to tell about it. in fact she claims to have been "bothered" over the years by the spirits of his victims. i can't vouch for that, but that would be a hell of a thing to go through.

also had a classmate i grew up with who was murdered and dismembered by drug dealers and left in the mountains. i think they found an arm.

Old 01-03-2011, 04:06 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,144,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
It would be called second degree murder or manslaughter?
I don't know any of the details--only what he told me, which was that he got into a fight and killed a guy. It might have been self-defense. As far as I know, he didn't serve any time. It happened before I became acquainted with him.

Old 01-03-2011, 07:46 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,254,587 times
Define "murder."

Old 01-03-2011, 09:00 PM

278 posts, read 989,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Define "murder."
Someone taking the life of another.

Whether it is justified or not, it is still considered a "murder" or homocide. Justified killings (self defense, etc) are still considered murder.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:44 AM

203 posts, read 509,560 times
A woman I worked with for five years was beaten to death with a cast iron skillet by her drunk/high adult son because she told him he needed to leave her house. He only got 20 years and he was 30 when it happened.

Old 01-04-2011, 12:45 PM

7,801 posts, read 10,059,736 times
Yes, the husband of the woman who owned the barn where my sister used to keep her horses. Happened here on Long Island about a year ago, their son in his late teens came home with a friend one night and were followed into the home by 2 armed robbers, the father came downstairs with a shotgun and was killed in the resulting shootout.

AFAIK the case has not been solved, as is typical of Long Island home invasions. It's been rumored that the home invasion was due to the husband keeping large amounts of cash in his home related to his trucking business.

Old 01-05-2011, 11:21 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,140,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyCop View Post
Justified killings (self defense, etc) are still considered murder.
In what context are you talking? Legally or ethically?

I see self-defense as different than what is generally considered murder.

...and to stay on topic, yes on both counts. Tragic all the way around for any one involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime