Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 07:53 PM

5,574 posts, read 6,500,449 times

Advertisements

I'm watching Cops. This half hour is about "stings". How do y'all feel about stings, ie set-ups? Tonight is prostitutes, there are also stings where they use an expensive BMW bicycle (I didn't know these existed)! TruTV has the show "Bait Car", a sting operation to catch car thieves with a.......bait vehicle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 08:03 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,836,119 times
I used to be all for them until I got popped selling a concert ticket to an undercover cop. Now I am against them. All of them.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:15 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,294,923 times
I love it when they do cross-walk stings, which have been big in our city but is done only once in awhile. These are disguised cops who act as pedestrians at cross-walks (the ones without traffic lights), and they used to have a field day. Being an avid pedestrian, this inconsideration of drivers was something that used to make me furious.

However, since then the Oregon laws have tightened up on pedestrian right-of-laws and it's gotten a lot better. Haven't heard of such a sting in a long time.

There are Portlanders who consider the FBY's game plan to arrest the would-be bomber a "sting", as entrapment. I'm personally GRATEFUL for it.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:23 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,467,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
I used to be all for them until I got popped selling a concert ticket to an undercover cop. Now I am against them. All of them.
I have no problem with 'sting operations'. However, in this/your case my position is if you're selling the ticket at face value or less then I think the police should have just left you alone.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:36 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,836,119 times
It was under face value but more than I paid. So in a way I was profiteering. But I was undercutting the box office on their own turf. The thing that REALLY pissed me off is while I was sitting there waiting for the ticket another undercover I hadn't seen previously snuck up on me and said "Hey I think this is yours" and he was trying to hand me an open container of beer while another cop had his IPhone in hand ready to take my picture. I didn't fall for it, but it certainly changed my view of the police. I had always pretty much supported the police and figured if anything bad to say about the cops they were probably tilting the story somewhat. Even when they were writing the ticket it was like I knew selling tix on venue property was against the law and I should have known better but after that it completely changed my whole outlook on police operations.

Old 12-30-2010, 11:12 AM

78,339 posts, read 60,539,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Transplant View Post
I'm watching Cops. This half hour is about "stings". How do y'all feel about stings, ie set-ups? Tonight is prostitutes, there are also stings where they use an expensive BMW bicycle (I didn't know these existed)! TruTV has the show "Bait Car", a sting operation to catch car thieves with a.......bait vehicle.
I'm in favor of it only for serious offenses such as car theft and pedophiles etc.

Also, if there has been a crime spree like assaults on gals in an area after dark I see nothing wrong with bait stings.

Old 12-30-2010, 11:37 AM

278 posts, read 992,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Transplant View Post
I watch Bait Car all the time. I can't believe these guys think its normal for someone to pull up in a new Escalade and jump out, leaving the door open and engine running, and never return.

Quote:

Quote:
It was under face value but more than I paid. So in a way I was profiteering. But I was undercutting the box office on their own turf. The thing that REALLY pissed me off is while I was sitting there waiting for the ticket another undercover I hadn't seen previously snuck up on me and said "Hey I think this is yours" and he was trying to hand me an open container of beer while another cop had his IPhone in hand ready to take my picture. I didn't fall for it, but it certainly changed my view of the police. I had always pretty much supported the police and figured if anything bad to say about the cops they were probably tilting the story somewhat. Even when they were writing the ticket it was like I knew selling tix on venue property was against the law and I should have known better but after that it completely changed my whole outlook on police operations.
What did you get charged with? I don't think that's illegal where I live. People don't stand in front of the ticket office, but they stand across the street yelling how many tickets they have for sale.

I don't know if I believe the open container story. Police don't take your picture with an Iphone while you're doing something. Maybe you were just upset after the initial violation and thought they were out to get you? Did they just ask you if it was yours?

Old 01-02-2011, 10:48 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,165,026 times
Quote:
YOU broke the law and got caught and you are made at the cops for doing their job?

I'm not so much for the kind of stings I see on TV for car thefts and prostitutes. The way they handle a lot of those feels a little like coercion.
But I think if there is an obvious problem in certain areas, going under cover in a sting operation is very smart. It is a great way to deter crime.

Old 01-02-2011, 02:45 PM

2,179 posts, read 7,374,030 times
lead us not into temptation.......Nancy said to just say no

Old 01-21-2011, 03:27 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,827,442 times
What is the clear difference between a sting operation and what is termed entrapment? I presume there is a difference.

I have watched bait car and admit that I have cracked up -- certainly in a bigger city, one does not leave a car, keys in it ....however, in more rural areas, such as where I moved to, it is very common to leave keys in a car when going into the local market or general store - took awhile for me to learn that it was okay to do that and now, I am so used to doing it, that I would probably be totally stunned if I walked out of the local market and discovered a missing car. I guess it really depends on the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime