Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 12:55 AM

3,573 posts, read 6,465,492 times

Advertisements

That's one of the major reasons I'm not Catholic anymore. What the Church has hidden because of these gays and pedophiles is sinful and disgusting.

My theory is that these so-called priest were gay to begin with and instead of living their lives shamefully, they joined the Church so they could be heroes within their families and still have their sexual preferences of little boys and males.

Hardly any of the priest molested or rapes little girls or girls. The majority of the abuse has been with little boys and boys.

The Church should be ashamed of themselves and to hide this knowledge for so many years. The Church is only out for greed and brainwashing, nothing more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2011, 05:58 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,126,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donie1 View Post

My theory is that these so-called priest were gay to begin with and instead of living their lives shamefully, they joined the Church so they could be heroes within their families and still have their sexual preferences of little boys and males.

Just FIY, homosexual does not = pedophile.
Also being gay does not mean one should live their lives "shamefully."

Old 02-21-2011, 12:14 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,614,475 times
I grew up catholic, too. There are good priests still out there and some of the catholic traditions are truly beautiful, but with all of this past criminal behavior of priests... the institution is forever tarnished. If I went into a church, it'd most likely be a protestant or lutheran one.

Old 02-21-2011, 02:39 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,821,491 times
Personally, aside from and/or in addition to the actual physical/sexual abuse, I do think the greater true violation is trust -- and once that type of trust is broken, that is truly the hardest component to get over -- and what makes it so reprehensible is that not only young kids look up to and trust and respect their parish priest but so do the parents. And, certainly there was a time when not only kids revered their priest, but the parents did as well - to the point of almost viewing their priest as a near diety - what they represented - and I can't help but wonder how many kids, did not come forward because they believed their parents would simply not believe them OR how many parents told then not to say anything because this was a man of the cloth....and when those priests' superiors knew and/or suspected to either cover it up as well or simply send them to a different parish to make it someone else's problem that is not only a horrible violation of trust but betrayal as well.

Old 02-21-2011, 04:23 PM

18,837 posts, read 37,284,946 times
The problem the Catholic Church has, IMO, is that once the Archdiosese knew about these pervs, they did a fall back, of confession, which wipes away sins, then, they transferred the "born again" perv to another place, where he could continue his "work", this time more skilled, cunning, and secretive. That is the sick part about this whole scandal. They knew a bad priest, and continued to protect him. Even now, they still say a perv priest needs to be reported to church authorities, NOT civil authorities, that to do so is against church laws...how messed up is that!!?
I have met some great Catholic priests who were not pervs, or gay, just very scholarly, religious men. It is sad that they are all being painted with the same brush...

Old 02-21-2011, 05:32 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,126,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmaple View Post
Personally, aside from and/or in addition to the actual physical/sexual abuse, I do think the greater true violation is trust -- and once that type of trust is broken, that is truly the hardest component to get over -- and what makes it so reprehensible is that not only young kids look up to and trust and respect their parish priest but so do the parents. And, certainly there was a time when not only kids revered their priest, but the parents did as well - to the point of almost viewing their priest as a near diety - what they represented - and I can't help but wonder how many kids, did not come forward because they believed their parents would simply not believe them OR how many parents told then not to say anything because this was a man of the cloth....and when those priests' superiors knew and/or suspected to either cover it up as well or simply send them to a different parish to make it someone else's problem that is not only a horrible violation of trust but betrayal as well.
Quote:
I have met some great Catholic priests who were not pervs, or gay, just very scholarly, religious men. It is sad that they are all being painted with the same brush...
That is the real tragedy - the violation of trust. That so many people still trust the Catholic church is astonishing.

Mind you...the Catholic church has a dreadful history of inter-faith warring and divide, killing of heretics, sexism, money and power-grabbing, nepotism and hypocrisy. I'm not sure why anyone is surprised that they continue to cover for pedophiles in their ranks...the Cathiolic church has centuries of practice with these sorts of shenanigans.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:14 PM

1,978 posts, read 4,397,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Makes sense. You almost have to be a little bent to become a priest or clergyman of some type.

There are word associations - like the first thing that comes to mind when you hear a word. My word association with "pastor" is "creepy".

What the hell was your point in putting Steve Buscemi's picture in there!? He has nothing to do with any of this! How would you like it if someone posted YOUR PICTURE up there to make a point about child molesters? Maybe you should cease and desist from character assassination of a top notch actor --- ok?"

Old 02-21-2011, 06:16 PM

1,978 posts, read 4,397,278 times
But yeah, pastors ARE creepy.

Old 02-21-2011, 08:22 PM

10,823 posts, read 14,900,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmaple View Post
I understand that there are people who are simply 'sick/pervs' or whatever term one wants to use and/or if there are certain situations that foster this type of abuse. Thoughts?
I can tell you I am a practicing Catholic and I do attend Mass every Sunday.

The corruption started 50 years ago.

Oregon Magazine (http://oregonmag.com/GoodMen802.htm - broken link)

Quote:
a book review

Goodbye, Good Men
How Liberals Brought Corruption Into The Catholic Church

by Michael S. Rose

The attack on Christianity by the left for the past thirty years has not been just their efforts to scrub any reference to God from public events, or to prohibit Christmas creches on public land at Christmastime, nor spending tax dollars for art in public museums that is contemptuous of the religious beliefs held by many Americans, and not even just their media sneering that Christians are lowlife-inbreds.
While America began to contend with this on-going public assault, a truly monstrous, secretive attack was launched into the heart of the Roman Catholic Church -- the seminaries, where priests-to-be develop their vocation and are trained in preparation for service to God. The media witchhunt of 'political correctness',,,,,,

snip
I don't know why the Catholic Church simply doesn't go back to allowing priests to be married. Being celibate is not part of the scriptures and priests were routinely married.

You might find this article interesting 39 Popes Were Married! It's not just about popes but a somewhat long piece on the history of the Church.

Quote:
Married Priests in the Early Church

History fully supports a married priesthood. For the first 1200 years of the Church’s existence, priests, bishops and 39 popes were married. Celibacy existed in the first century among hermits and monks, but it was considered an optional, alternative lifestyle. Medieval politics brought about the discipline of mandatory celibacy for priests.

snip
In medieval times the church was a large part of government and to curb costs celibacy among priests came into being.

And there is this

Quote:
Women Priests in the Early Church In 494 women’s participation in the leadership of small communities came to an end when Pope Gelasius decreed that women could no longer be ordained to the priesthood. This legislation is perhaps the strongest proof we have of women serving as spiritual leaders in the early Church. Women’s roles in the church diminished as popes and bishops marched in lockstep with the Roman authorities.
Interesting, how many know women were ordained as Priests for nearly 500 years after Christ's crucifixion?

Old 02-21-2011, 09:41 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,682,701 times
I think oif we really loked that we would find the same on periflies i nay job that gave trust and contol over children. That is because such jobs attract them . This IMO is a reason for better vettig to include lie destros for such positions of trust and high security.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime