U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 04:00 PM

573 posts, read 1,713,958 times

Advertisements

What are the most famous ones? Did they make a movie out of it or write a book?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2011, 04:28 PM

6,191 posts, read 15,368,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnosis View Post
What are the most famous ones? Did they make a movie out of it or write a book?
Have you tried Googling this?
"Search engines" are a new-fangled invention, circa about 2000, perhaps you've heard of them?

Famous Prison Escapes - Google Search

Not sure if you are simply lazily waiting for some to search for you and give you answers that your average 5-year old can find, or whether this is a spectacularly inept attempt at trying to start a dialogue. Who is "they"? Have you ever heard of movies based on true crimes? Or books based on true crimes? Is it generally painless to be so stupid, or does it hurt sometimes?

In either case, I kick-started it for you. Seriously, no need to thank me.

EDIT: Sorry. Sometimes I find stupid people just overwhelming and the older I get the less tolerance I have for ignorance. Seriously though, this post exemplifies the myth that there's "no such thing as a stupid question."

Last edited by chiroptera; 02-27-2011 at 04:48 PM..

Old 03-02-2011, 05:56 AM

18,678 posts, read 23,258,366 times
I can think of two that occurred in my life time.
Child killer Diane Downs escaped in broad day light from the Women's Correctional Facility in Salem OR.
She was found later in bed with the boyfriend of a "friend" of hers in prison.
When they apprehended her she told the police that she" escaped to find her remaining two children" who were also shot but survived.
Where did she think she would find her kids? Under the bed of a strange man?

Old 03-02-2011, 06:10 AM

OK now here's another one. Ted Bundy the notorious serial killer escaped from police custody twice.
Once by jumping out of a window and another time by starving him self skinny so that he could fit through the ventilation system of his prison cell.

Some how he made it down to Florida, from Utah ( I think) and went on to kill 2 or 4 Sorority sisters as well as a twelve year old girl.

There are books and made for TV movies about both Bundy and Downes.
In both books about the two, written by crime writer Ann Rule, there are accounts of their escape and apprehension.

I do not thing the escapes of either one are depicted in the movies.
The book about Diane Downes is called "Small Sacrifices", the film bears the same name
Also the book entitled "Stranger Beside Me"

There is another book about Bundy that is excellent, but I just can't think of the name.

Old 03-02-2011, 06:16 AM

Chiropetra, I am sure that the OP is aware of google. No need to be snarky about it. She wanted to di the discuss the topic with others who are interested in True Crime.

Isn't that why we all post? Or why don't we all just google things and not post.

Old 03-02-2011, 04:25 PM

4,628 posts, read 9,276,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Where did she think she would find her kids? Under the bed of a strange man?
LOL, I remember this. We lived in Salem at the time. It's almost like she just walked across the street, the house she was found in was very close to the prison. i think, after her escape, they stopped thinking women couldn't climb fences and added some razor wire ~

OP: This is a very interesting subject.

There's a movie called "Escape From Alcatraz" that Clint Eastwood starred in. It's the true story about an escape from that famous prison, master-minded by a very brilliant individual. The men escaped but were never found. It's assumed that they drowned, but no one knows for sure. I never read the book, just saw the film.

Another movie, I think it's from the 80's, is called Midnight Express. It's a true story about a man who was sentenced to life in a Turkish prison for attempting to smuggle drugs and made a successful escape.

Those are two famous ones I can think of right now. I know there's a lot more!

Old 03-03-2011, 11:55 AM

6 posts, read 4,677 times
Again in Salem Or, on June 9th 1902, Harry Tracy and David Merrill escaped from the Oregon State Prison. With rifles smuggled in, they escaped over the wall, shooting three guards dead and wounding two others. Tracy had been a member of the Hole in the Wall Gang. After a several week crime spree Tracy, who had murdered Merrill earlier, was cornered in a field in eastern Washington and after a gunfight shot himself.

Old 03-03-2011, 04:32 PM

A lot of things seem to happen in places called "Salem"
Funny because it means "PEACE"

Old 03-15-2011, 03:55 PM

555 posts, read 760,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Felina View Post
Another movie, I think it's from the 80's, is called Midnight Express. It's a true story about a man who was sentenced to life in a Turkish prison for attempting to smuggle drugs and made a successful escape.
That movie was not the true story. Most movies are just "based on a true story." Recently there was an episode of "Locked Up Abroad" on the National Geographic channel about the real person that movie was about. He told a somewhat different story than the movie did.

BTW, the actor who played him in Midnight Express died of AIDS many years ago.

Old 03-15-2011, 05:43 PM
Status: "Be yourself. What's the alternative?" (set 22 days ago)

8,702 posts, read 10,847,720 times
I saw that Locked Up Abroad show. The movie shows him mixing with the crowd and walking off. The real story was him hiding in a boat over night (after he worked his day at the prison). He almost thought he was caught, but he managed to swim, was it? finding his way eventually to another border after making it to shore. He must have gotten the money wired to him, got on a plane and left for the US. Interesting difference. I'd have thought reality more interesting than the movie version.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or