Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 05:58 PM

18,837 posts, read 37,281,021 times

Advertisements

Man who raped elderly woman wants shorter term | Wichita Eagle (http://www.kansas.com/2011/04/01/1788336/man-who-raped-elderly-woman-wants.html#storylink=omni_popular - broken link)

This story is just beyond anything I have ever seen...this guy rapes a 92 year old woman, states he was high on drugs when he did it, and he was convicted, with a recommended sentence of 85 years, double the maximum...

This is the worst...the public defender argued that even though the rape was "repulsive" it was not worse than the "average" rape...

How do these people even sleep? Or live with themselves? Defending a rapist, and stating that it is just a "normal" rape...and I really love the "defense" that the guy states he was high on drugs when he attacked the woman...so like, that makes it okay? Or less horrible? Or because the woman was 92, that makes it less heinous than say, raping a 12 year old child? Or any woman for that matter?

I hope he enjoys his time in prison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2011, 11:08 AM

1,619 posts, read 2,821,243 times
Certainly I understand that we have to have defense attorneys and clearly their job is to represent / defend the offender, regardless of the crime. Personally, should I ever commit a crime I would want the best representation possible and a stellar defense attorney. However, I would also like to believe [and I do know there are some criminal defense attorneys] who will not represent certain defendants because of the specific crime they are charged with, such as sexual assault, domestic violence and any crime against a child.

However, and perhaps I am being a hypocrite by saying this - to represent a rapist AND to defend it as no different than...is egregious to me...any rape is horrible, are their different degrees of that horribleness, I don't think so.

I remember many years ago, when I lived in CT, a "hooker" had been raped - I think she going into a grocery store or coming out of a store [irrelevant in part] -- and there was all this notariety about this guy -- and minimizing the rape because she had been a 'hooker' - I was really stunned at the general societal attitude about it - but then again, a long time ago, regardless of the crime, when the victim was on the stand, her entire sexual life was examined and/or attacked....fortunately, we have come a little further these days when the courts realize that it is inappropriate to put the victim in trial -- although I guess, to some, that is still the same dam** attitude. If that is the case, then I would like to think that even those with that same kind of diminished attitude would at least a 90+ age woman was not 'asking for it'. Outrageous. Glad for that sentence.

Old 04-02-2011, 11:48 AM

18,837 posts, read 37,281,021 times
I wonder why I feel so outraged about this, I truly feel that anyone who hurts someone who should be taken care of, like a child, or an elderly person, or a disabled person should receive a longer punishment, I don't know why I feel that way, after all raping a 22 year old woman is just as horrible. I read about these scum who raped disabled women, and just felt so outraged. That is the lowest of the low...to attack women is bad, but ones that are completely at the mercy of others? Jail is too good for them.

Old 04-02-2011, 12:41 PM

114,841 posts, read 65,658,950 times
I'd offer him execution! ...as his only alternative!

Old 04-02-2011, 01:09 PM

Jasper12, how right you are....rape to anyone is horrible - to a vulnerable adult as to a child, beyond reprehensible - and vulnerable adult can be elderly, disabled, anything...I just don't understand and I guess I will never understand how anyone can do something so horrid - I wonder is it because they do not have a conscience, is it because they are sociopathic--sometimes I just wonder if someone can really be born without a soul.

Old 04-02-2011, 05:40 PM

14,377 posts, read 14,203,333 times
Quote:
This story is just beyond anything I have ever seen...this guy rapes a 92 year old woman, states he was high on drugs when he did it, and he was convicted, with a recommended sentence of 85 years, double the maximum...

This is the worst...the public defender argued that even though the rape was "repulsive" it was not worse than the "average" rape...

How do these people even sleep? Or live with themselves? Defending a rapist, and stating that it is just a "normal" rape...and I really love the "defense" that the guy states he was high on drugs when he attacked the woman...so like, that makes it okay? Or less horrible? Or because the woman was 92, that makes it less heinous than say, raping a 12 year old child? Or any woman for that matter?
When I did a bit of criminal defense work in the past, fortunately I never had the experience of being assigned to represent a sex offender. Raping a 92 year old woman (my own mother is 91 going on 92) hits home for me. I have difficulty imagining something much more repulsive.

That being said our system of government requires that every offender be provided or allowed to provide his own representation. An attorney has a duty to zealously represent his/her client. Failure to do so can result in discipline from the bar association. So, if you want to find fault here, my suggestion is find it with the rule that requires an attorney to zealously represent his client. Zealous representation includes arguing that a guilty client should receive a lower sentence than the prosecution believes he should get. Until that rule gets changed, attorneys are going to keep having a duty to do that which you find repugnant.

Old 04-02-2011, 07:15 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,125,145 times
There may be more to this story than what's in this article...another article I read on this case mentioned that he had repeatedly violated a PPO - personal protection order - that the victim had previously filed against him. So there is some history here, he sounds like a real predator who probably deserves this sentence.

Rape is a horrible crime (I have spent many years as a volunteer sexual assault counselor) and because control and domination, not sexual gratification, is often the turn-on for rapists, it is not uncommon to see the same sort of controlling or oppositional behaviour in court.

I agree that his attorney was doing his job. I don't know if Angilda's previous history, including a juvenile history if there was one, was taken into consideration for the sentencing?

As an aside - I did counsel a woman who was a prostitute who'd been violently raped. It was no less of a crime because of her line of work. Rape is rape.

Old 04-03-2011, 12:06 AM

1,446 posts, read 3,546,616 times
He raped someone.

If he can't afford 40-85 years, he should have never gotten high and raped someone.

Doing drugs is no excuse.

Old 04-03-2011, 07:51 AM

78,014 posts, read 60,221,209 times
If some brain addled scumbag wants to whine that his statement is too severe, that's fine with me. It's thier constitutional right to whine as much as they want to the wall of a cell until they die.

Thank god for DNA testing.

Old 04-03-2011, 03:00 PM

I realize or rather understand that w/a rapist, it is about power, control and fear onto the victim -- but I wonder if any of them every think about how they would feel if someone assaulted their mother, sister, child, niece, etc....would they feel that the offender should be punished to the ninth degree or would they think that the offender would be justified to say cruel and unusual punishment.....

Thoughts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime