U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 09:10 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,117,657 times

Advertisements

National Child Abuse Prevention Month

there are so many children that are being tortured, abused, neglected and murdered. Lets all do what we can to report, be vigilant, be aware of the signs of child abuse and do not be afraid to get involved for the sake of the children. Please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 05:42 PM

1,617 posts, read 2,465,508 times
In spite of the television / internet 'commercials' that remind us we all have a responsibility to help protect and prevent child abuse - that if we see, hear or know about abuse, we should call someone, whether it be the police, a teacher, clergy -- too often we 'hope' that someone else will do it rather than us; that perhaps as much as we know we should, we don't want to interfere, get involved, whatever....personally, I think we all have a moral and ethical responsibility to in fact do something, to get involved.

I think about that relatively recent horrible story concerning the child who was finally found [correct me if I am wrong] by the side of a highway and when police began interviewing neighbors/associates/etc. pretty much all of them said - we are not surprised, we heard fights, that child was being hurt, those parents were horrible, etc....well, perhaps if even one of those people opted to make a call, even without leaving a name, perhaps that child would be alive.

I am by no means saying it is that neighbor's fault - of course not - that neighbor did not hurt the child -- I used to be one of those people who would read an article and say, someone should do something, someone should say something, someone should stop that and then turn the page and really hope that someone else did. They didn't. I do now.

Old 04-04-2011, 06:18 PM

14,330 posts, read 19,542,021 times
Default Absolutely agree

I wholeheartedly agree. I feel that kids are precious and any mistreatment is absolutely not to be tolerated. I will continue to do all that I can to protect their interests.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:04 PM

I do follow these stories and do what I can with letter writing to prosecutors, petitions, etc, etc, if I am out of state. If local, I try and stay vigilant and do what I can for the Guardian Ad Litem program or any other program that I am aware of. I try and befriend children that I suspect are in distress, to show them that someone cares and will try and help. It isn't much but it is all I can do. If I had more time and resources, I would do a lot more.
I have grandchildren that are in a less than ideal situation and I try and remember that they need my time and efforts the same as children that I don't know.
There are so many horrible stories out there of a childs awful suffering before they mercifully die, that it almost freezes the heart and mind with the horror. Sometimes, you have to make yourself continue to do what you can because what you experience in horror is nothing to what the child has endured.....so we have to keep trying to make a difference. Demand stronger sentences against all involved in a childs death or their abuse, don't plea bargain sentences with the mothers, as they are often as guilty as the perpetrator (?). A child should be able to depend upon their mother to protect them.....
I hope that someday, we will no longer hear of child abuse cases. That will only happen if we all keep on trying to stop it.....

Old 04-05-2011, 09:23 PM

18,852 posts, read 31,713,141 times
Well, as a former teacher, the sad thing is unless the kid has a broken arm, there is little that can be done when reporting abuse. Also, the kids know they will be taken out of the home, the ones who have gone thru an investigation before, they know they will be going back, so they say nothing. I have seen cigarette burns on children, and the parents say the kid bumped them when they were smoking, "you know how kids are".

Child abuse month. Sorry for the cynicism. Was in the trenches for too long in an inner city school, and at an exclusive boarding school. There is no SES boundary on abuse.

The sad thing is how scary manipulative, and gracious an abuser is...a demon with a mask.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:56 AM

8,862 posts, read 14,838,142 times
Hearing the current reports from Libya---a woman raped by Gadhafi's soldiers--government accuses her--I can only imagine how children are treated.

By whatever means necesary this type of Government must change.

I wouldn't be opposed to sending 'Delta Force'/Rangers/Seals--those trained to do this type of work--to speed things up--but there would be global repurcussions.

So strange--Egypt, Japan, Libya--and others---'Taking it to the Streets'---much is taken to the streets in the US---

Children certainly deserve a chance to grow and thrive. Also taught --never got the hang of being 'clinically objective' about my students. Lots of long nights--what to do, what to do?

Old 04-06-2011, 03:01 PM

For you folks that have been "in the trenches", so to speak, God bless you. I don't know how I could walk away from knowing that a child was being abused. Unfortunately, I know of too many cases where the teacher reported it and it went no where, until the child was found dead...

In our area, CHS gives each child that comes through their agency a teddy bear. I go to Walgreens and different places that has that kind of stuff after Christmas, Valentines Day, EAster, etc, etc and buy them for half price or less and haul them down there. Sometimes I have had 20-25 at a time. Hopefully, it helps a child. It's a small thing.

Old 04-07-2011, 07:14 AM

8,862 posts, read 14,838,142 times
One thing I know for certain--do whatever you can--every little bit helps.

Clearly--federal/state/local funding for mental health is going to diminish until there is 'none'. If 'child abuse/domestic violence' can be controlled/reduced at the start---schools can educate more effectively and social services will be less of an issue.

Economically--perhaps we would need fewer prescription drugs---pharmaceutical companies might feel the bite but they could manufacture other drugs. I am absolutely certain that most of us don't need many of the 'anxiety'/depression drugs.

Aggressive efforts are being taken to discourage the use of illegal drugs.

Old 04-07-2011, 06:17 PM

27,093 posts, read 5,892,953 times
Default The Zahra Baker Project NC

Most of you will remembering hearing this:

NC: Zahra Baker, little girl, 11yrs, deaf and had lost a leg to cancer, experienced severe physical abuse for years before her step-monster-mom murdered her, along with some degree of assistance from the FATHER.....she was dismembered and her body strewn over the county. Her head has not been found, I do not think, but her little artificial leg was found early on....

Yes, DSS had been contacted and visited this home in the past.

(This is painful for me....I did not know this family, but this occurred in the very town I grew up in)

In NC, a new bill, named for Zahra, has been drawn which will be presented to NC legislators this spring:

Increasing to life prison terms for felony child abuse and other increases in punishment; create penalties for non-notification of abuse, if known, request to make DSS more accountable, to have a neighbor, teacher and DSS worker questioned solo and together when investigating child abuse claims....etc etc.

Read the bill online: THE ZAHRA PROJECT; also on FACEBOOK; also available (non-profit) are hats, clothing, etc displaying the Zahra Project logo.

It takes someone stopping their busy lives to DO SOMETHING. The Zahra Project and bill was begun by a mom of 3 in Greensboro, NC. We hope is it enacted this summer here in NC.

How about your state??

Old 04-16-2011, 10:00 PM

thx for bringing the proposed legislation with Zhara's name on it to the forum. I will read it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime