U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 06:53 AM

14,330 posts, read 19,549,496 times

Advertisements

What an attractive woman. But apparently wacko. Good thing all three survived.

California mother, Lyn Benedetto, tries to kill kids before the tribulation, deputies say
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2011, 08:04 AM

26,346 posts, read 83,027,501 times
Another brainwashed religious person.

Old 05-25-2011, 09:07 AM

7,112 posts, read 9,352,884 times
So now that they've changed the Rapture date to October, is she gonna try it again later?

Old 05-25-2011, 10:23 AM

43,858 posts, read 44,618,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Another brainwashed religious person.
Christians look forward to the rapture....not kill themselves and their children because of it. Obviously this woman is mentally ill and it has nothing to do with religion whatsoever.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
Christians look forward to the rapture....not kill themselves and their children because of it. Obviously this woman is mentally ill and it has nothing to do with religion whatsoever.
So is this a crime or a health problem?

Old 05-25-2011, 10:47 AM

43,858 posts, read 44,618,090 times
Quote:
So is this a crime or a health problem?

Could be one or the other or both.
All I was saying is it couldn't be a brainwashed religious problem because they see the rapture event differently than apparently this woman did.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
Could be one or the other or both.
All I was saying is it couldn't be a brainwashed religious problem because they see the rapture event differently than apparently this woman did.
Suffice to say that I do think it has to do with religious brainwashing and the only difference between this woman and your next door neighbor who simply goes to church every day is a matter of degree. Same with suicide bombers. Same as your next door neighbor, just a lot more intense. To legitimize my post (and hopefully not get banned), where do we draw the line between crime and mental health and how should society deal with it? Hinkley didn't go to jail. That woman in Houston who drowned her four or five kids didn't' to jail. Found insane.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 05-26-2011 at 12:12 PM.. Reason: Deleted off-topic comments

Old 05-26-2011, 09:48 AM

18,852 posts, read 31,732,472 times
I was concerned about these "rapture" people...they were unstable to begin with.

Old 05-26-2011, 10:10 AM

296 posts, read 455,502 times
Quote:
Suffice to say that I do think it has to do with religious brainwashing and the only difference between this woman and your next door neighbor who simply goes to church every day is a matter of degree. Same with suicide bombers. Same as your next door neighbor, just a lot more intense. To legitimize my post (and hopefully not get banned), where do we draw the line between crime and mental health and how should society deal with it? Hinkley didn't go to jail. That woman in Houston who drowned her four or five kids didn't' to jail. Found insane.
I know exactly what you mean and agree with you.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 05-26-2011 at 12:12 PM.. Reason: Edited quoted text

Old 05-26-2011, 10:19 AM

3,236 posts, read 4,211,936 times
These days, you dig deep enough, and you almost always find a substance, or substances, behind the irrational actions of Perps. Apparently, that does not make a very good story, and so other things are offered by 'Journalists', to explain the Perp's actions. But if you dig, you find an offhand mention of Marijuana use, or Meth, or Antidepressants, or booze... So, I'd like to know the chemical status of this woman.

But how does someone so stupid get to live in a pricey house like that? I know Antelope Valley real estate prices have plummeted along with the demographics. But still, that's got to be a half-million-Dollar home (horribly designed...but still...). Where I come from, people dumb enough to actually believe precise predictions of the Rapture and the Second Coming, are mopping floors or plucking Chickens, or on Welfare.

And honestly, if I were going to really slit my throat, with the actual intention of dying, it would not be that difficult. What this gal did seems more like a Manipulative Suicide Attempt...a bid for attention, or a cry for help. It's like she was responding to the Bandwagon Effect of the silly media attention to the Rapture predictions, and just had to do something to get herself up on that Bandwagon.

And I just remembered something...another example of Bandwagon Effect: I was in my favorite Vegan Cafe, listening to a conversation about a subculture of Obese Lesbians, in which some young women deliberately become morbidly obese, in order to better fit into that group. Then, someone mentioned 'Cubs'...apparently young Gay men will become fat, just to fit in among 'Bears' (massively-built Gay Men, who may or may not actually be obese)....THEN the conversation turned to Gay 'Twinks', in San Francisco (which, like England, appears to have become one big Mental Ward), who deliberately become 'positive', as an act of unity with their HIV positive lovers (and in the hopes, sometimes, of getting on Disability, and getting free Steroids...which usually doesen't work...and they end up homeless and dying of AIDS). In the Straight World, I suppose that riding around on Motorcycles is roughly the same thing: doing absurd things where disastrous outcomes are virtually guaranteed, simply to get that 'Group Affiliation High'. Snake Handling would fit into that category, too.

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 05-26-2011 at 11:22 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or