U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 07:04 AM

7,112 posts, read 9,359,291 times

Advertisements

What blows me away about this case is that he lived OUTSIDE next to a trailer. How did the whole world not know this was happening?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 06:29 PM

5,642 posts, read 17,324,107 times
"As someone who has never had children but who aches daily to have them, I cannot understand what would possess a parent not only to not treasure his child but to abuse, torture and kill him. Why are people like this having children?!"

What I never understand is why these people - if they obviously hate their children enough to torture them, just give them up to the authorities to be put up for adoption?!! I am sure someone would adopt them.

Sick b*stards are going to get theirs when the Lord judges them in the hereafter.

If you work with children, (teachers & coaches) you must sign something that says you will report any suspicious signs of abuse (odd/frequent bruises/arm breaks/a child tells you about something/an incident) etc. to authorities or you risk penalty. I had to sign this when I volunteer taught religious ed.

Old 06-03-2011, 04:08 PM

1,617 posts, read 2,467,297 times
I have tried a few times to start a thread on the topic of accountability and unfortunately have not been successful getting it off the ground [smile] - this is the exact type of example I have referred to in the past - accountability or lack thereof with case workers, DCYF [or whatever they are called in your respective states] and too often when a horrid and egregious tragedy is discovered/reported, at best, the case worker gets a verbal reprimand or no reprimand at all - I do understand that mistakes can happen and they do happen - however I also think if more accountability was on those workers, even one worker, then others might begin to take heed and truly be more responsive, to be more aware, and to follow-up.

When one child suffers, dies, is abused, whatever horrors, it is one child too many - it is, in my opinion, 100%.

We had a situation in our state - very complicated but in a nutshell, divorced couple, history of horrible abuse [and many hospital stays]; supervised visitation; ex-husband/father asked DCYS to help him because he 'was doing just great', DCYS worker made a couple of very short visits and helped petition the court - ex-wife/mom said please don't, we have heard this before, DCYS said, hey, we met with him, he's great now, Court said okay, will give it a try - 24 hours later, former wife had multiple stab wounds, 2 of the children had multiple stab wounds; dad tried to kill himself; police standoff; got everyone out - charged w/three counts attempted murder and 3 counts of kidnapping -

could this have been prevented, yes and nothing, absolutely nothing happened to that case worker for not completely researching the file and interviewing all of the parties.

Shameful and inexcusable!

Old 06-05-2011, 07:20 AM

18,852 posts, read 31,746,980 times
I believe anyone who abuses a child, or witnesses child abuse, and does nothing to stop it, both should be prosecuted fully, and deserve the maximum prison terms.

DCFS workers...don't get me started. Ironically I was offered a job to do that job once, and I turned it down. Never regretted that decision, even though the job paid $4.00 more an hour.

Old 06-06-2011, 05:29 PM

1,096 posts, read 4,096,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
"As someone who has never had children but who aches daily to have them, I cannot understand what would possess a parent not only to not treasure his child but to abuse, torture and kill him. Why are people like this having children?!"

What I never understand is why these people - if they obviously hate their children enough to torture them, just give them up to the authorities to be put up for adoption?!! I am sure someone would adopt them.

Sick b*stards are going to get theirs when the Lord judges them in the hereafter.

If you work with children, (teachers & coaches) you must sign something that says you will report any suspicious signs of abuse (odd/frequent bruises/arm breaks/a child tells you about something/an incident) etc. to authorities or you risk penalty. I had to sign this when I volunteer taught religious ed.
Sadly DCFS is a joke. My cousin is a teacher a student of hers who in addition to having a horrible family life also has a colosimy bag talk about hard knocks on one kid.

Anyhow, parents abussed the girl, my cousin got DCFS involved, parents told DCFS they didn't want the girl but she still wasn't taken away.

Personally I'm all for vigilante justice in cases like this. Obviously people shoudln't run around assaulting people on a hunch but if you know for a FACT someone is abusing their kids to this level and authorities aren't doing anything about it I think its every good citizens duty to do something themselves. A guy with broken hands will have a hard time abusing a kid.

Old 06-11-2011, 08:41 PM

1,248 posts, read 1,902,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfr69 View Post
Sadly DCFS is a joke. My cousin is a teacher a student of hers who in addition to having a horrible family life also has a colosimy bag talk about hard knocks on one kid.

Anyhow, parents abussed the girl, my cousin got DCFS involved, parents told DCFS they didn't want the girl but she still wasn't taken away.

Personally I'm all for vigilante justice in cases like this. Obviously people shoudln't run around assaulting people on a hunch but if you know for a FACT someone is abusing their kids to this level and authorities aren't doing anything about it I think its every good citizens duty to do something themselves. A guy with broken hands will have a hard time abusing a kid.
It may be tempting to commit mob justice and attack someone accused of child abuse but in the end it is wrong and unhelpful. Someone in prison is going to have a much harder time abusing a kid than a guy with broken hands. Here is a recent case of private justice and brutality, but the problem is the man they attacked did not do it and was also intellectually handicapped...

YouTube - ‪Man's Genitals Tased, Forehead Tattooed‬‏

Old 06-12-2011, 03:02 PM

1,096 posts, read 4,096,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poletop1 View Post
It may be tempting to commit mob justice and attack someone accused of child abuse but in the end it is wrong and unhelpful. Someone in prison is going to have a much harder time abusing a kid than a guy with broken hands. Here is a recent case of private justice and brutality, but the problem is the man they attacked did not do it and was also intellectually handicapped...

YouTube - ‪Man's Genitals Tased, Forehead Tattooed‬‏
I remember hearing about this story, extremelly sad story some mentally chalelnged kid had a tattoo on his head b/c he was confused as a rapist or something along those lines. The whole story seemed kinda fishy so I wonder if there was more to it than reported but that's exactly why I say I'm hesitant to call for vigilante justice as people jump the gun and make assumptions.

In this case however you see with your own eyes a kid is locked in a cage and you make the call to dcfs and nothing is done I don't think there's much confusion there in terms of what's going on and the kid is being mistreated. If nothing else confront the father and let it turn into a physical altercation cops will be called and hopefully that attention will get things handled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or