U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 05:18 PM

684 posts, read 697,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by melovescookies View Post
I guess know one explained to her the concept of innocent until proven guilty.
The answer is that the defense is not required to prove who committed the crime or anything else. It's all about reasonable doubt, which this juror clearly did not understand.

Moreover, this is a clear example of why we need to require jurors to first pass a basic logic and reasoning test before they can be even placed into a pool of potential jurors from which various potential jurors would then need to pass through voir dire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2015, 07:42 PM

10,136 posts, read 12,395,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Hope for Tomorrow View Post
Hi ans. I followed this case and it breaks my heart because I believe she's innocent. I would never hold her behavior at the gravesite against her. I lost my son when he was 15 after a long battle. People NEED to have emotional breaks from their crying and desperate grief. It was in December and I wrote this weird note to read to my younger boys on Christmas morning from Santa, saying that he saw him in heaven as he flew by on the sleigh. I read it aloud all animated and cheerful. I found the note a couple of years ago (it has been over 6 years), and wondered what I was thinking. For one thing, my other boys were 13 and 10.

And, as you said, the video was incomplete. I heard there was reverence and mourning on the video before the silly string thing. What judge would allow them to only show part of it? This case is sooooo sad. The defense wounds, the bloody sock, the unidentified fingerprint.....They stole what happiness she could have had left with her other son and I believe in my heart that they let a child killer go free. "Hell" on earth for sure.
I believe she is innocent as well.

We all have loved ones and I honestly don't have any idea how I would react if my wife or child died. It's something I simply can not fathom.

Fresh doubts over a Texas execution

New evidence revives concerns that a man was wrongly put to death in 2004

Quote:
In 2004, Perry refused to temporarily stay Willingham’s execution despite the report of a leading forensic expert that sharply disputed the finding of arson by a Texas deputy fire marshal. Perry’s administration has also repeatedly undercut the authority of a state Forensic Science Commission, which agreed that the arson finding relied on flawed analysis. Defending his handling of the case in 2009, the governor declared that Willingham “was a monster.”
If you've followed the case when you compare the qualifications between the forensic expert that unequivocally says Willingham was innocent to the qualifications of the deputy state fire marshal you'll just about puke.

It's like saying I passed high school chemistry with a C+ and yet the Texas idiots in charge will take my word over the word of a Harvard professor with a PhD in chemistry.

If you have ever followed me on this forum you know I am a strong right winger that believes the death penalty should be abolished.

Old 07-14-2015, 09:07 PM

3,279 posts, read 6,613,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartGotts View Post
I think too often people turn 'beyond a reasonable doubt' into is there any possible way someone else could have done this.
If there is any possible way someone else committed the murder, the death penalty should not be used.

As a side note, I have my doubts about the Scott Peterson case as well. He was definitely a crappy husband, but there is no hard evidence linking him to the murder of his wife and unborn child. It's scary that someone can be put to death based on circumstantial evidence alone.

Old 07-14-2015, 09:21 PM

158 posts, read 172,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
If there is any possible way someone else committed the murder, the death penalty should not be used.

As a side note, I have my doubts about the Scott Peterson case as well. He was definitely a crappy husband, but there is no hard evidence linking him to the murder of his wife and unborn child. It's scary that someone can be put to death based on circumstantial evidence alone.
Agree. I think Scott could have been railroaded. But once you are making love on the phone at your wifes vigil. Than you need to be prepared to be looked at pretty hard. Very cold on his part. Jmo. But the case evidence besides the cheating was bs. Especially for a death penalty case. Agree.

Old 07-19-2015, 09:09 PM

1,659 posts, read 1,640,132 times
I've seen all sorts of documentaries on this case over the years.

I can't recall anything that made me think she was innocent.

Everything points to her beyond a reasonable doubt.

Old 01-31-2016, 05:10 AM

1 posts, read 1,282 times
Default DNA testing done June 17, 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milocoa View Post
If you have DNA that is not part of the Parties then it is the police's job to follow up on every lead to be able to walk away and say " I have done everything I could to prove this person did or did not do it". She had been denied her right to test all the DNA. Now finally it is coming out that there are DNA that excluded her and her husband from the killing. There is DNA that is on her night shirt that is someone Else's DNA. She had massive defense wounds. How many people do you honestly know that could slit their own throat. Hang, shot, slit writs, and poison would be how they would do it. She was a victim of a horrific crime. Her only living son states that she did not do it. Yes she may be selfish in her own way but ask your self this who is not out to make your mark in this world? I my self is in the non-profit world but however I would do what it takes to make sure that I do what it is I can do to help the individual or family within the law.

If I can change someone's life for the better then I would. She has not wavered from her innocence. Yes her story change because she was fast asleep. She trying to recall! How would you do? Seeing what she saw? Fear, confusing, getting her bearings together.

Now I know you ask your self how could someone not know that they are hurt? I can answer that first hand. When I was nine years old my bedroom faced the front of the house and I thought I heard my dad drive up so I went and stood on the ledge of the window and put my hands on the glass. The glass broke and my arm went through the glass and I did not feel a thing. My mom came running in and asked what happen I told her. She proceeded to check both me and my sister to see if we were okay. She lifted up my right arm and the glass slit my arm almost all the way to the elbow down to the bone. I lost almost 5 pints of blood. Still I did not feel a thing even though veins hanging out and skin missing. Adrenalin took over and that is why I survived.

So I now first hand what panic can do. I think that we need to give her the benefit of the doubt.
Your intentions are good but you have the facts of the DNA testing wrong. The testing did not show any unknown DNA. In fact, the DNA testing could NOT rule out Darlie, Darin or any patrilineal relative (Ie; Damon and Devon). But don't take my word for it, read the results for yourself... https://youcouldbewrong.files.wordpr...2015103716.pdf

As for the slitting of her throat, Google 'knife throat suicide'...I think you'll be surprised at the frequency in which it does occur, I was.

Old 01-31-2016, 06:25 AM

3,174 posts, read 1,991,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Yep I have the same nagging doubts about her guilt as well and let me tell you I come from a law background . My grandfather is a retired ada and my father is also a retired prosecutor.

Let me tell you some of the things that came out about this just did not sit right with me or my dad . I just dont know what to think because you do hear of ppl breaking into ppls homes and attacking ppl and leaving other ppl for dead . Dont believe me look at the tv show I survived 90% of those cases are where ppl broke in and left someone dead and the other near death .

Is it possible that the intruders thought that darlie was dead or near death ? sure it is . Is it possible that someone did break into her house and kill her sons yes . She had stated in court that her ex husband who was still living in the house was doing drugs and selling drugs and that right there was her first mistake letting her ex still live there knowing what he was doing .

Im sorry she is prison but something just nags me about this case it really does .
I have to agree with phonelady. This one, had I been on the jury; would have found reasonable doubt. Too often have I seen prosecutors suppress evidence that would have cast reasonable doubt, simply so they can 'up their annie,' with a conviction rate and run for elected offices. And too many times I have seen them backtrack...and continue to lie...when they are confronted on this. I want to see a fair trial, not a kangaroo court.

Old 01-31-2016, 06:31 AM

3,174 posts, read 1,991,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoke View Post
I've seen all sorts of documentaries on this case over the years.

I can't recall anything that made me think she was innocent.

Everything points to her beyond a reasonable doubt.

These so-called 'documetaries' are all based upon her conviction, freeing the producer up to point the finger more at the convicted. And don't forget editing, just as the prosecutors are so infamous for doing in these cases. Keep an open mind, and don't forget the words 'Beyond a reasonable doubt'

Old 01-31-2016, 12:56 PM

1,160 posts, read 574,140 times
Legally speaking, I can not say she is innocent or guilty as I have not reviewed the evidence outside of the various documentaries I've seen. What I can say, in the interviews I've see her give, her attitude, demeanor and fake crying pretty much gives me strong indications she is a manipulative and conniving person with strong indications of narcissism. That alone makes me think she is guilty. With that said, if I was on jury, obviously I would take a much closer look at the evidence, but I do not even think it's debatable that she is her own worst proponent.

Old 02-15-2016, 02:32 PM

874 posts, read 907,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
These so-called 'documetaries' are all based upon her conviction, freeing the producer up to point the finger more at the convicted. And don't forget editing, just as the prosecutors are so infamous for doing in these cases. Keep an open mind, and don't forget the words 'Beyond a reasonable doubt'
Beyond a reasonable doubt... reasonable is the operative word.
In many well known cases, Columbian drug cartels, mysterious vehicles, touch DNA, single fibers... all are unreasonable compared to the mountains of hard evidence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or