U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2011, 05:50 PM

5,499 posts, read 4,571,235 times

Advertisements

I just want to see what people's thoughts are (those who followed this case closely) about this gut-wrenching case.

Spoiler
Two of her three children, Damon and Devon, were stabbed to death in the family's home on June 6, 1996. Routier was accused by police and local media of killing both children but was prosecuted for and convicted only of Damon's death. Routier also sustained knife wounds, which prosecutors claimed were self-inflicted.

Could one really stage self-inflicted injuries this serious??? And why did the prosecutors prevented the defense from showing the extent of her injuries???

Ultimately...did they convict and sentence to death an innocent woman...???
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 07:00 AM

7,106 posts, read 9,339,065 times
I think the jury made the right call. It's the same problem you see in the Jeff MacDonald case, the Charles Stuart case, and ye olde Diane Down case: why would anyone kill small children (or in the Stuart case, a pregnant woman) who posed no threat to anyone, but leave superficial injuries on the one person on the scene who could fight back?

Old 06-01-2011, 12:41 PM

23,989 posts, read 32,793,389 times
I have nagging doubts about her guilt myself.

Old 06-01-2011, 02:28 PM

13,819 posts, read 18,771,405 times
Yep I have the same nagging doubts about her guilt as well and let me tell you I come from a law background . My grandfather is a retired ada and my father is also a retired prosecutor . Let me tell you some of the things that came out about this just did not sit right with me or my dad . I just dont know what to think because you do hear of ppl breaking into ppls homes and attacking ppl and leaving other ppl for dead . Dont believe me look at the tv show I survived 90% of those cases are where ppl broke in and left someone dead and the other near death . Is it possible that the intruders thought that darlie was dead or near death ? sure it is . Is it possible that someone did break into her house and kill her sons yes . She had stated in court that her ex husband who was still living in the house was doing drugs and selling drugs and that right there was her first mistake letting her ex still live there knowing what he was doing . Im sorry she is prison but something just nags me about this case it really does .

Old 06-01-2011, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
I think the jury made the right call. It's the same problem you see in the Jeff MacDonald case, the Charles Stuart case, and ye olde Diane Down case: why would anyone kill small children (or in the Stuart case, a pregnant woman) who posed no threat to anyone, but leave superficial injuries on the one person on the scene who could fight back?
I can see your point Cliffie but, the difference between your example and the Routier case is that...while the self-inflicted injuries done to Jeff MacDonald and others like him were superficial (MacDonald being a surgeon, methodically executed his with precision...) Darlie Routier's showed extensive stab wounds and bruises compatible with defensive struggles that the prosecution successfully prevented the jury to see.
My question is...why were the prosecutors apprehensive in showing these to the jury if indeed they had the right perpetrator???

I agree that the "incomplete" video showed Darlie to be a mother without any signs of grief towards the death of her children (even I was appalled initially) but not sufficient enough to deliver a verdict of "guilty beyond a reasonable doubt."
Could it also be that the prosecutors were more than eager to close the case to cover their bumbling crime scene job...just a thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Yep I have the same nagging doubts about her guilt as well and let me tell you I come from a law background . My grandfather is a retired ada and my father is also a retired prosecutor . Let me tell you some of the things that came out about this just did not sit right with me or my dad . I just dont know what to think because you do hear of ppl breaking into ppls homes and attacking ppl and leaving other ppl for dead . Dont believe me look at the tv show I survived 90% of those cases are where ppl broke in and left someone dead and the other near death . Is it possible that the intruders thought that darlie was dead or near death ? sure it is . Is it possible that someone did break into her house and kill her sons yes . She had stated in court that her ex husband who was still living in the house was doing drugs and selling drugs and that right there was her first mistake letting her ex still live there knowing what he was doing . Im sorry she is prison but something just nags me about this case it really does .
Like you...I felt that the prosecutors left so many gaps in proving her guilt. So many erroneous steps taken when the crime scene was being investigated and processed.

One or two of the jurors made a statement admitting during an interview...that, had they been presented with the evidence in toto...the verdict would have been different.

Old 06-09-2011, 10:16 PM

1,897 posts, read 1,770,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ans57 View Post
I agree that the "incomplete" video showed Darlie to be a mother without any signs of grief towards the death of her children (even I was appalled initially) but not sufficient enough to deliver a verdict of "guilty beyond a reasonable doubt."
Hi ans. I followed this case and it breaks my heart because I believe she's innocent. I would never hold her behavior at the gravesite against her. I lost my son when he was 15 after a long battle. People NEED to have emotional breaks from their crying and desperate grief. It was in December and I wrote this weird note to read to my younger boys on Christmas morning from Santa, saying that he saw him in heaven as he flew by on the sleigh. I read it aloud all animated and cheerful. I found the note a couple of years ago (it has been over 6 years), and wondered what I was thinking. For one thing, my other boys were 13 and 10.

And, as you said, the video was incomplete. I heard there was reverence and mourning on the video before the silly string thing. What judge would allow them to only show part of it? This case is sooooo sad. The defense wounds, the bloody sock, the unidentified fingerprint.....They stole what happiness she could have had left with her other son and I believe in my heart that they let a child killer go free. "Hell" on earth for sure.

Old 06-10-2011, 04:35 AM

13,819 posts, read 18,771,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Hope for Tomorrow View Post
Hi ans. I followed this case and it breaks my heart because I believe she's innocent. I would never hold her behavior at the gravesite against her. I lost my son when he was 15 after a long battle. People NEED to have emotional breaks from their crying and desperate grief. It was in December and I wrote this weird note to read to my younger boys on Christmas morning from Santa, saying that he saw him in heaven as he flew by on the sleigh. I read it aloud all animated and cheerful. I found the note a couple of years ago (it has been over 6 years), and wondered what I was thinking. For one thing, my other boys were 13 and 10.

And, as you said, the video was incomplete. I heard there was reverence and mourning on the video before the silly string thing. What judge would allow them to only show part of it? This case is sooooo sad. The defense wounds, the bloody sock, the unidentified fingerprint.....They stole what happiness she could have had left with her other son and I believe in my heart that they let a child killer go free. "Hell" on earth for sure.
I also too believe that they let a child killer go free and how many other cases will this killer get away with ? sad that when detectives can find no other suspects they go after the family . Just too hard to find the real killer so let us blame the family member that survived the attack . I have seen it over and over again .

Old 06-10-2011, 01:55 PM

4,586 posts, read 3,391,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I also too believe that they let a child killer go free and how many other cases will this killer get away with ? sad that when detectives can find no other suspects they go after the family . Just too hard to find the real killer so let us blame the family member that survived the attack . I have seen it over and over again .
Sorry, I take the other side on this ... I believe Darlie to be guilty. Some people also think Casey Anthony is innocent. Who actually knows what the pressures were inside of the Routier home prior to the murder. There are too many facts that don't work in Darlie's favor. Why didn't the dog bark at an intruder ? Why was Darlie's jewelry not taken if a robbery and if not a robbery, what other motive could there be ? Why was the kitchen sink cleansed of blood ? What robber/home invader would choose a house on a cul-de-sac with a high fence ? It is possible to inflict injuries to oneself to confuse the police, i.e. Justin Barber in Jacksonville.

I personally believe Darin knows what happened and might be involved as well.

Old 06-10-2011, 02:08 PM

4,586 posts, read 3,391,413 times
And I might add that Darin Routier was willing to stage a burglary on his house for insurance money. Did Darlie know of this ? Most likely ... anyone capable of that might be capable of reducing his/her family while being under financial pressures.

And why would a burglar/homer invader target this home on a cul-de-sac ?

Rowlett Texas Homes for Sale & Rowlett Real Estate - Zillow

Old 06-10-2011, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Hope for Tomorrow View Post

Hi BHFT! How can I forget your testimony about losing your son (I lost mine to MI too) on Christianity forum. You and I shared how we handled our griefs so out of normalcy. I almost didn't shed a tear at the time because I was spiritually busy with being angry and questioning God...so I don't hold Routier's affect on that video against her.

After looking at this case from all facets (including the omitted part of the video)...I've concluded that all the prosecution panel had were "circumstantial" evidence, based on the most part "character assassination" rather than "solid evidence" which is insufficient for a guilty verdict. aisi

I cannot completely rule out the "nagging" feeling that...at the very least, there is "reasonable doubt" to her guilt...let alone...be sentenced to death.

One of jurors who allowed an interview stated that...had they been presented with all the facts suppressed by the prosecution...the verdict would have been different. Which is my sentiment exactly.

Appeal is still ongoing...let's hope for justice to prevail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or