U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 07:16 PM

6,587 posts, read 6,818,941 times

Advertisements

Are you kidding me?Elizabeth Smart is a hero because she triumphed over the worst most depraved kind of evil!!To suggest anything else is sick!

Old 06-11-2011, 08:00 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,638,824 times
I'll have to read everyone's post but I'm making a quick what I think post right now.

Something always troubled me about this case. Why didn't she scream when he came into her bedroom? She was in a bedroom with her sister, she could have alarmed her sister or both of them could have made noises to alert the other family members. Also, if I'm correct, didn't they finally realize who he was because her sister, the one she shared the room with, finally came forward after 7 months and told what she seen that night? Something just wasn't right with that case and I hate to say a young girl was to blame for what happened to her. But something is just not right...

Could it had been since the man that was finally caught kidnapping her, he was the family's handyman and a Mormon that he talked her into being his wife when he was at her house doing repairs? She told her sister her plans and her sister was true to her and didn't say anything until finally about 7 months later that she went off with him?

At the time of her kidnapping, he wasn't bizarre looking or acting odd and Elizabeth might have trusted him and again was brainwashed into thinking of being his Mormon wife.

I'll read what the blog has to say and other posters here now.

Old 06-11-2011, 10:15 PM

21,954 posts, read 22,094,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
As far as her "strong religion" look up the term "Jack Mormon."
That is one of the stupidest comments I've ever heard about Elizabeth Smart. She just returned from serving an LDS mission to France. That would hardly have happened had she been a "Jack Mormon."

Quote:
It's looking more and more like smart was not abducted, but rather ran away from home.

Way too many holes in her story and in her recollections. Read this link for some insights that will make you think twice!

http://ordinaryevil.wordpress.com/20...eeded-therapy/
You know, I'm trying to figure out whether you're just incredibly gullible or incredibly anti-Mormon, but it's clearly one or the other. Actually, I'm thinking it's probably both. It really sickens me to see religious bigotry so intense that it would come to this.

Last edited by Katzpur; 06-11-2011 at 10:28 PM..

Old 06-11-2011, 10:39 PM

19,822 posts, read 55,961,131 times
There is nothing in that link to show she did not receive therapy. Only a pervert would believe a sheltered child would enjoy that experience.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 06-11-2011, 10:40 PM

21,954 posts, read 22,094,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donie1 View Post
Something always troubled me about this case.
Evidently, the Salt Lake City news media covered this case in much greater depth than did the news media elsewhere. The only troubling thing is how some of these bizarre questions continue to arise.

Quote:
Could it had been since the man that was finally caught kidnapping her, he was the family's handyman and a Mormon that he talked her into being his wife when he was at her house doing repairs?
Saying that "he was the family's handyman" implies some kind of a long-standing relationship. Mitchell worked for the Smarts for one day! Elizabeth's mother had felt sorry for him when he approached her on a downtown Salt Lake City street and said he needed work. If Elizabeth said more than two sentences to him during the one day he worked for her family, I'd be surprised. As far as him being a Mormon, that's also false. He was an ex-Mormon. There's a difference. Furthermore, had he been a practicing Mormon, he would not have been looking for a second wife. As a Mormon myself, and a native Salt Laker, I know a whole lot more about Elizabeth's lifestyle and background than you can even begin to imagine, and I can tell you that your theory is absolutely beyond ridiculous.

Quote:
She told her sister her plans and her sister was true to her and didn't say anything until finally about 7 months later that she went off with him?
You have got to be kidding. I bet you believe everything you read in the National Enquirer, too, don't you?

Quote:
At the time of her kidnapping, he wasn't bizarre looking or acting odd and Elizabeth might have trusted him and again was brainwashed into thinking of being his Mormon wife.
You don't call walking into a 14-year-old girl's bedroom in the middle of the night "acting odd"? And obviously you know nothing about the process of "brainwashing." Honestly, the stuff some people are willing to believe just to spice up a story. Wasn't the truth sordid enough for you?

Old 06-11-2011, 10:44 PM

9,181 posts, read 9,263,338 times
Quote:
What people don't understand is the mindset of being raised as a good Mormon girl. There are so many layers to this, that explaining it would take a book, starting with understanding the religion, beliefs, and extremism in the Mormon church.
This is both ignorant and offensive. Substitute "Black" or "Hispanic" where you have written "Mormon" and see what kind of a reaction you get from people.

I am LDS (Mormon) and I can tell you that girls are not taught to be accepting of being kidnapped by strangers.

Use your brain to answer the question why she didn't try to get away. She was young. She was threatened. Her family was threatened with harm if she tried to escape. At that age, its not unreasonable to believe it either.

This is proof that people should actually be required to think before they post here.

Old 06-11-2011, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
This is both ignorant and offensive. Substitute "Black" or "Hispanic" where you have written "Mormon" and see what kind of a reaction you get from people.

I am LDS (Mormon) and I can tell you that girls are not taught to be accepting of being kidnapped by strangers.

Use your brain to answer the question why she didn't try to get away. She was young. She was threatened. Her family was threatened with harm if she tried to escape. At that age, its not unreasonable to believe it either.

This is proof that people should actually be required to think before they post here.
I'm not trying to be ignorant here but common sense says that when someone is in your bedroom late at night, you should alert someone in the household by yelling and not complying to what they want. I realize the girl was 14 y.o. at that time.

I guess I raised my kids to be safe and realize what was appropriate behavior and what was not. I also told them what people might say to scare them. I don't believe I was scaring or putting the fear in my kids for being honest with them about the evil people of this world. It's not good to shelter our kids too much that they can't help themselves in a bad situation.

Old 06-11-2011, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Evidently, the Salt Lake City news media covered this case in much greater depth than did the news media elsewhere. The only troubling thing is how some of these bizarre questions continue to arise.

Saying that "he was the family's handyman" implies some kind of a long-standing relationship. Mitchell worked for the Smarts for one day! Elizabeth's mother had felt sorry for him when he approached her on a downtown Salt Lake City street and said he needed work. If Elizabeth said more than two sentences to him during the one day he worked for her family, I'd be surprised. As far as him being a Mormon, that's also false. He was an ex-Mormon. There's a difference. Furthermore, had he been a practicing Mormon, he would not have been looking for a second wife. As a Mormon myself, and a native Salt Laker, I know a whole lot more about Elizabeth's lifestyle and background than you can even begin to imagine, and I can tell you that your theory is absolutely beyond ridiculous.

You have got to be kidding. I bet you believe everything you read in the National Enquirer, too, don't you?

You don't call walking into a 14-year-old girl's bedroom in the middle of the night "acting odd"? And obviously you know nothing about the process of "brainwashing." Honestly, the stuff some people are willing to believe just to spice up a story. Wasn't the truth sordid enough for you?
I did not follow the story too closely and will have to read the links here to see what the whole story was. I briefly read or heard on the news about her sister finally coming forward and telling what she heard in their bedroom 7 months after her sister went missing. BTW, I don't read the National Enquirer.

Old 06-11-2011, 11:01 PM

6,587 posts, read 6,818,941 times
Every parent warns their child not to talk to strangers...yet how many times do we see news stories where a reporter posing as someone who just lost a puppy gets the child (that a parent just swore would never go off with a stranger) to leave and help them look for a puppy!You can never say with certainty what a child would do!! Add in being awakend from sleep and soon after married and then raped by a scary guy how many adults let alone a child could survive that?

Old 06-12-2011, 12:28 AM

2,652 posts, read 7,797,856 times
I know I ALWAYS made rational decisions when I was 14. NOT. Some people are flipping idiots. Monday morning quarterbacks is what you are...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime