U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 07:40 AM

18,852 posts, read 31,756,753 times

Advertisements

Being raised "Mormon" means the culture, and belief system. It is not offensive. The same as being raised in an African-American culture or Hispanic culture, it was not meant to be offensive, just to define the child's mindset. Our culture defines the way we view the world, and how we perceive things.

The real question is why, LDS members take any discussion that involves questions about a complex criminal case, and personalize it, and circle the wagons to shut down any type discussion.

Why attack my post? I fully support Elizabeth Smart, she had a horrible experience. And is doing terrific now as a poised young woman.

Old 06-12-2011, 08:19 AM

403 posts, read 517,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
What on earth would lead you to that conclusion, when absolutely none of the facts point in that direction?
Something aobut her father gave me the creeps. And I think people just assumed that she would be happy at home because her parents looked like the typical weathy two-parent household. Looks can often be deceiving.

Quote:
How many 14-year-old girls would describe everything in their homes as perfect. Elizabeth said that she'd had an argument with one or both (can't remember which) of her parents earlier in the evening the night she was kidnapped. At that very moment, she was probably angry with them. But to suggest that "she wanted to be away from home" because "everything wasn't that great [there]" is absolutely preposterous.
I didn't say anything about perfection. But how often do we see cases of seemingly happy households where there is rampant abuse going on behind the scenes?

Quote:
How many 14-year-old girls would trade an occasional disagreement with their mother for being raped daily for months on end by a filthy, disgusting pervert?
And how many 14 year old girls would be that calm and collected if they were raped daily for months by a filthy, disgusting pervert? I watched her public appearances after she was returned and she was just too calm. Therapy can help, but it won't completely erase. And when someone has been miserable in a situation for an extended period of time, it shows on them. They can't hide it.

Old 06-12-2011, 09:27 AM

21,976 posts, read 22,156,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepimpact2 View Post
Something aobut her father gave me the creeps. And I think people just assumed that she would be happy at home because her parents looked like the typical weathy two-parent household. Looks can often be deceiving.
Something about her father gave you the creeps. So what? Looks can be deceiving.

Quote:
I didn't say anything about perfection. But how often do we see cases of seemingly happy households where there is rampant abuse going on behind the scenes?
And you think Elizabeth was being abused at home? Right. Happy households are generally shams.

Quote:
And how many 14 year old girls would be that calm and collected if they were raped daily for months by a filthy, disgusting pervert?
Who knows? If they were scared to death that they and/or their families would be killed otherwise, maybe more than you'd think.

Quote:
I watched her public appearances after she was returned and she was just too calm. Therapy can help, but it won't completely erase. And when someone has been miserable in a situation for an extended period of time, it shows on them. They can't hide it.
I'm sure Elizabeth's experience can never be erased. However, you underestimate the support system (professional therapy, family, and faith) that sustained her. It seems impossible to you; it seems inspiring and uplifting to some of us.

Old 06-12-2011, 09:32 AM

21,976 posts, read 22,156,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Being raised "Mormon" means the culture, and belief system. It is not offensive. The same as being raised in an African-American culture or Hispanic culture, it was not meant to be offensive, just to define the child's mindset. Our culture defines the way we view the world, and how we perceive things.
Of course it does. I'm certainly not disagreeing with you there. So what about Elizabeth's belief system do you think would have made her behave the way she did?

Quote:
The real question is why, LDS members take any discussion that involves questions about a complex criminal case, and personalize it, and circle the wagons to shut down any type discussion.
I don't see any attempts on the part of any LDS posters to shut down the discussion. What makes you think that all of the posts that express a point of view opposite from yours are from LDS posters?

Old 06-12-2011, 09:44 AM

This whole thread should be shut down.

It is offensive to discuss a child rape victim.

The criminal CHILD rapist is in prison, where he belongs.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:45 AM

9,227 posts, read 9,295,009 times
Quote:
My question for you is what do you know about being raised "Mormon" and what would make you think there is one single "Mormon Culture"? Now, what about would make you think it would inhibit a 14 year old Elizabeth Smart from "speaking out" to others about her captivity and obtaining help?

Quote:
AHEM....pardon me. You are the one who raised the topic of "Mormon culture". When those of us who are LDS respond and object to this gross generalization you than turn around and accuse us of "personalizing" this issue and "circling the wagons". You don't see yourself as doing anything wrong?

Quote:
Why attack my post? I fully support Elizabeth Smart, she had a horrible experience. And is doing terrific now as a poised young woman.
Because it lumps Mormons together in a group that raises its children in a manner that permits situations like that which happened to Elizabeth Smart to supposedly continue happening. It suggests that all of us raise our daughters in an inappropriate manner.

Honestly, I've seen you post here for sometime. I'll make this general comment about your posts. You don't strike me as reading much or researching much. Your posts are often quite shallow and offer little more than an opinion. You have a right to do that, but as I've said before not all opinions are equal.

Last edited by markg91359; 06-12-2011 at 11:15 AM..

Old 06-12-2011, 10:56 AM

Hmm, no personal attacks? Wow. Whatever.

Old 06-12-2011, 11:31 AM

11,151 posts, read 14,159,487 times
Closed for mod review.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime